When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6536 - real or franken?

Nanuq

Good, good... now what's the most troubling "feature" of all?

(hint: there's another very lovely 6536 sitting right there in the same Ebay search, for face-on comparison)

The dark, de-focused, shadowy pics, which are a tell-tale sign of trouble, were enough to put me off by themselves. No honest seller of such a rare/expensive timepiece would post pics like that.

Additionally, wrong dial, case (in spite of the 'polishing') looks new, lug engravings wrong, bezel wrong.......need I go on? Ok, I will.......edges of lugs missing any hint of the originally beveling Rolex used back then, bracelet looks new/aftermarket & incorrect for a 653x. I am sure there are other give-aways, but those would only reveal themselves via good, clear pics (or when the buyer received the actual watch). :whistling:

Dial looks to be from Yuki.

_DSC0005.jpg

Original Dial of a 6536 should have :

1) Depth on the first line

2) Submariner on second line

Case is wrong!

Engravings should bear:

1) Brevet with a Cross "+" - no registered design

2) 6536-1 instead of 6536/1

This is a poor copy in my opinion.....spells Bad Fake all over..

On another note what is up with the small font size on this one?

Except for the dial, which is not clear enough in any of the pics to say 1 way or the other (but I am leaning towards gen), that 1 looks good to me.

Very good! Now talk to me about the apparent width of the rehaut ring, the "original" dial diameter, and a no-crown-guards case.

I have seen some variation of the inner flange (rehaut), so I do not use that as an indicator. Without seeing (& measuring) the dial out of the case, I cannot say anything about its size. Only that, if it were a pickle, it does not look like a Kosher 1 to me. The case is just missing all the tell-tale signs of an old gen case - beveling of lugs, wear on the underside where the end links rub, yada yada. On the other hand, it looks exactly like the aftermarket cases that we are all familiar with. At least that is how I see it.

Oh, & coupled with the pics designed to obscure detail & the seller's lack of extensive Rolex sales experience, the line 'buy the seller' should come immediately to mind.