When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about "vintagizing" your vintage rolex rep

brendo22

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any tutorials or threads about how to "vintagize" your rolex vintage reps. I just purchased a DRSD 1665 and would like to get it "worn in", etc to look more like the real thing. Any info would be appreaciated!

Hi There to tone down that new look finish i used wirewool the type plumbers use, rub the case and bracelet until you get a mat brushed finish do also the case and braclet edges to take away the sharp edge then i used a metal polish like autosol to polish the watch upto the required finish you may prefer it a little less or more polished up, the end result gives you a older more used looking watch, also use wirewool to tone down the acylic crytal this also tones down the look of the dial without doing any "work" on the dial which can not be reversed!

I dont have any advice about aging a bezel insert,if any members have a suggestions please let me know!

my watches are a 6538 big brevet crown,1665 comex,5512,redsubmariner,gmt/pepsi

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks Aeromatic, that's great advice. An abrasive like steel (wire) wool will definitely give a well worn, dulled look. I find also that a really old watch has shiny areas, with a patina of fine swirls and scratches. To get a subtle polish to the wire wool look, try some Flitz metal polish. It's a paste, and good for removing corrosion and final polishing. Work some in with your thumbs, then wipe and wash the residue off. Repeat until you get the level of shine you want.

Thanks Aeromatic, that's great advice. An abrasive like steel (wire) wool will definitely give a well worn, dulled look. I find also that a really old watch has shiny areas, with a patina of fine swirls and scratches. To get a subtle polish to the wire wool look, try some Flitz metal polish. It's a paste, and good for removing corrosion and final polishing. Work some in with your thumbs, then wipe and wash the residue off. Repeat until you get the level of shine you want.

Thanks Nanuq i will try that i like the top of the lugs to be slightly polished which you see on a few vintage subs!

Yes I agree with you about the patina on older watches i also own some old swiss watches from the 40s 50s that have this patina!

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks for the great advice! When you use the wool do you just brush the watch abstractly or do you do it with the grain as you would when you "rebrush" a watch. I'm looking to try and get that really worn look, I heard that someone might have put their watch in a plastic back with some nuts and bolts, etc. and then shook it up to get random imperfections? I don't know anyone who has more insight let me know! And direction to a fading the bezel would be great too! Thanks!

I guess it depends how old or abused you want the watch to look... In the past, I've used scissor blades to put gouges into a case, as well as strategically grinding the case/bracelet against housebricks and ceramic floor tiles, and then using a green Scotch-brite pad to buff out. I recently re-finished the case of my vintage Sub to make it look more 'worn' rather than 'abused' :D For the dial, it's possible to use matte varnish to get a vintage finish, or baking the dial for a few seconds. The most common methods used for bezel inserts is a combination of sanding/scuffing, and then bleaching :) Vintage really has a quality all of it's own :)

Thanks for the great advice! When you use the wool do you just brush the watch abstractly or do you do it with the grain as you would when you "rebrush" a watch. I'm looking to try and get that really worn look, I heard that someone might have put their watch in a plastic back with some nuts and bolts, etc. and then shook it up to get random imperfections? I don't know anyone who has more insight let me know! And direction to a fading the bezel would be great too! Thanks!

Hello brendo22 i would suggest you start off brushing with a grain as you would when rebrushing to get a mat finish then rub over the watch using lighter strokes in a circular motion ,rub the steelwool in different direction for a good effect, then use a metal polish or paste

(like nanuq suggested) to polish upto the required finish you may like the watch to remain unpolished, dont worry about starting you can always polish the watch back up ,there is no need to go to extreme your watch will age with normal wear and tear,

and i would not reccmmend putting your watch in a plastic bag with nuts and bolts(unless you want to break your watch)

for the bezel i dont have any advise as i have never faded one although i was thinking of rubbing a bezel with rubbing compound until the black finish get thinner and starts looking more silvery but i would only experiment on a spare bezel mabe some member can suggest a way to do it

anyway good luck with you project!

I prefer "light vintagization" opposed to the drastic "toss it out in the driveway and run over it a few times" :shock: favored by some hard-core practitioners. I like to round/smooth off sharp well defined edges/features, polish up high spots on brushed parts like might get rubbed on with normal usage, etc. I tend to leave the crystals alone as I like to be able to actually see and read the watch! I also think that most folks would replace a crystal once it got gouged up anyway so I personally don't think a nice crystal detracts from the effect, much.

I hang around the genuine vintage forums a lot, as I have several genuine Rolex and Tudor watches. Contrary to some of our folks who are really into the "Beat all to hell" look, the genuine vintage guys want a watch that is as unpolished as possible, and aged , but not extreme. the most desirable obviously would be DRSD's that were put in a safe the day they were purchased and never taken out in the sun. Obviously, my feelings are somewhere in between. I want one that looks it's age, but not abused.I'm not into the "shake the case inside a coffee can full of nuts and bolts for 30 minutes" I have a 16750 from the early 80's and it has a naturally faded insert, but the case looks unpolished and the dial indices are almost as white as the day they left Rolex. I also have a Tudor 9411 from 1981 that has a great dial with creamy colored indices. It has a beautiful Blue dial, however the insert was replaced by Rolex San Francisco.It's all in what you want it to look like, and that's an individual thing.

I hang around the genuine vintage forums a lot, as I have several genuine Rolex and Tudor watches. Contrary to some of our folks who are really into the "Beat all to hell" look, the genuine vintage guys want a watch that is as unpolished as possible, and aged , but not extreme. the most desirable obviously would be DRSD's that were put in a safe the day they were purchased and never taken out in the sun. Obviously, my feelings are somewhere in between. I want one that looks it's age, but not abused.I'm not into the "shake the case inside a coffee can full of nuts and bolts for 30 minutes" I have a 16750 from the early 80's and it has a naturally faded insert, but the case looks unpolished and the dial indices are almost as white as the day they left Rolex. I also have a Tudor 9411 from 1981 that has a great dial with creamy colored indices. It has a beautiful Blue dial, however the insert was replaced by Rolex San Francisco.It's all in what you want it to look like, and that's an individual thing.

Hi panerai153 i agree with what you say! i have some old none rolex swiss watches that look old but were locked away in a loft space for years!

unpolished and aged!

My ultimate goal is a watch that appears, more or less, to have been recently overhauled. That is, sporting a clear crystal & working crown, but the rest of the watch should look used (not abused). Works for me

Hey Great watches! is that a tudor sub you have there cos thats one of my next projects using a eta 2783 with a tudor rotor from yuki!

At one time, I rather enjoyed and preferred the well worn and heavily abused look of vintages. Times and tastes change however, and these days I prefer my vintage pieces to look like well cared for pieces. The condition of my Tudor franken is how I prefer my oldies to be... Not NOS, but with enough patina to give it some character...

IMG_9193.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

At one time, I rather enjoyed and preferred the well worn and heavily abused look of vintages. Times and tastes change however, and these days I prefer my vintage pieces to look like well cared for pieces. The condition of my Tudor franken is how I prefer my oldies to be... Not NOS, but with enough patina to give it some character...

Superb Watch! i think i better push up planned tudor project now i have your super photo!