When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The PAM 111 project is finally done...

projectologist

After almost a year of gathering parts, using parts for other projects, selling and trading, I focused on finishing the 111 to start off the New Year. I put the word out for the parts I needed and some major good-guy members helped me out :)

I started out at almost square one with just a JF case sans bezel and case back. So here's the final parts list...

JF bare case (not sure how I ended up with it... it's been in the box for a long time)

refinished gen bezel from a member who also provided gen gaskets for the bezel and crystal

gen crown tube along with O-rings

gen case back

EL crystal, all AR removed

gen dial and hands

gen movement

T48 ss crown (aligned perfectly with the gen tube and cg without any modding)

gen historic cg from a risti friend (see construction note below)

Parts were acquired both through trade (my preferred method :) ) and purchase (my how the prices of rep parts have changed in the last couple of years :( )

I thought I had an issue with the cg as the lever wouldn't close down because it was too long to contact the crown properly. I really didn't want to file down a gen lever. So when I went over to a fellow member's place this past Sat. to pick up and install the xtal, I made a nice discovery. He was finishing up his 201a project (using the remaining gen 111 parts from the PAM we parted out) and was having trouble with his gen cg lever not being long enough. He was considering shimming up the inside of the crown to make up the difference. Just by chance we swapped cg's and amazingly both our problems were solved with no further modding required.

Turns out Panerai doesn't always have a standard measurement when it comes to the little details. We took measurements of both and the length did noticeably vary. So I popped in an O-ring (case side inset area of the crown) and clamped her down. Perfect, plus the O-ring gives a nice spring loaded feel when opened and closed.

Big thanks to my friend for having the right tools to help me with the final assembly.

Hardest part was getting the stem length just right. Thankfully I only trashed one stem in the process.

Total cost wasn't too bad, trading for some parts helped soften the blow as well as only paying the regular service price for the gen cg.

Final touch was picking up some gen lug/strap screws at the local AD and mounting a 2nd generation Dirk strap I'd been saving. The 2nd gens can be had for 1/2 the cost of the originals as the strap was done by an unauthorized factory with the original buckles and stamps. The tell is the wraparound stitching in the area between the base of the buckle and the keeper.

Some quickie phone pics for now...

proj111c.jpg

proj111f.jpg

proj111j.jpg

proj111i.jpg

Sweet Jesus Proj

That gen movement is so lovely why did they ever go to the rather bland decorations on the H series movements??

I'd love to source one of those movements

Wow, that is incredible. Nice Job. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks! A big chunk of the credit goes to the 2 members with the necessary parts and the right tools :D

oh , it is just gen.

your project get best reuslts, i think

Can i ask how much you spend your budget?

thanks,

ddebo

Really hard to judge the final cost as many of the parts were acquired through trading... we just keep trading parts back and forth. It's a community thang!

WoW nice beauty wear it well

Thank you!

Congrats to an awesome watch p! Love it! :wub:

Thanks... me too!

Beautiful GEN... ;) Absolutely stunning! I especially love those thick, chunky H series/Pre-V CG's!

Not a bad way to kick off the year!

Yeah... I think I'll be keeping this cg on there despite being incorrect for an E series.

Wow, that's amazing, just beautiful...a labor of love I'm sure!!! Congrats, she's a keeper :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Labor of love for sure. As a result, this hobby has taught me patience and how some things are worth the wait in the end.

Congrats!! verry nice pics for a sweet, sweet watch

Thanks... I really like the pics I get with my iPhone.

Awesome build R - it's like a dream franken - all the best parts from recent years of historic models combined

If I was Panerai I'd re-release!!!

Enjoy

FGD

Yes... this is one of the few contemporaries I really like.

Sweet Jesus Proj

That gen movement is so lovely why did they ever go to the rather bland decorations on the H series movements??

I'd love to source one of those movements

Would be interesting to know why the decision was made to go "plain". Probably to save cost is my guess. Bad decision if so.

It doesn't get any better than this. Very nice. Even though that's not the right CG for the model, I think it looks fantastic. Very nicely done.

The original E series cg went to another project the owner of the 111 we parted out is planning.

Any chance you could post some pics of case and CG from side on please?

Thanks

Here you go... Providing a couple of angles as the wide-angle point and shoot lens distorts the shape of the case and cg. For reference, the same amount of crown shows, above and below the cg. I love how the top contour of the gen cg blends into the soft curve of the JF case.

proj111q.jpg

proj111r.jpg

proj111o.jpg

Love the Sausage Dial 111's thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

beautifully done Robert - bet most of your Risti friends would never pick up on the CG anyway....

What series is the caseback you got?

Thanks! And you are absolutely right... not a single risti (3 so far) has raised an eyebrow re. the cg, even after noting the movement and series.

Caseback pic for you...

proj111p.jpg

The siting of that CG is just plain lovely - flowing. I spent 10 minutes staring at it, mesmerising! and that caseback shot.....wow!