When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO links. Is it possible to resize?

watchhunter

I recieved a PO 42mm today from eurotimez (2nd one sent as first never arrived). I am having an unbelieveable time trying to get the pins out to resize the bracelet. I have a tool for doing this yet they do not seem to come out more than about 5mm then get stuck. Is there a trick to doing this or do I need some kind of supermachine to do it?

Ah the omega bracelet dilemma, it is possible bit it is difficult, there are a number of post about it, The pins are held inside crimped sleeves inside the bracelet, I use a short strong screw tool to get them half way out then a longer thinner one to get them the rest of the way

DSC00080.jpg

short strong one on the left

First: are you SURE you're pressing them out the right direction?

I do it the old fashioned way: hold the bracelet in my hand, with a thick leather sewing needle grasped between my fingers positioned above the pin. Tap the needle smartly with a small hammer to impact the pin, knocking it loose (there's always some grunge in there with the pin, holding it in place). Position the needle in the new hole and continue tapping until the pin comes out the other side and embeds in my hand. Grasp the pin with small pliers to pull it out of my hand, and continue removing it from the bracelet.

If it's REALLY tight, I drill a small hole in a piece of soft wood and put the partially extended pin in the hole, laying the bracelet on the wood.

Use a small brass hammer or something like a tack hammer, and a stout hardened pin.

Tap that SOB out of its hole. It'll come out. :spiteful:

Keep the pin directly inline with the hole, and do the deed like you mean it. :hammer: It's not a lot different than using a nailset on finishing nails into hard oak.

See the problem is there's too much friction in the holes. Brute force will eventually get them, but it's tough and most of the time the pins bend. The trick is to overcome the stiction with an impulse or impact. Once you get it moving, it's a lot easier to keep it moving. Getting it to move is the trick.

I bent a lot of those before I figured this out. Make SURE your pin is inline with the hole in the bracelet, then give it a rap. That will overcome the stiction and it will move.

Grabbing the extended pin with pliers leaves you in the same boat. I use the drift pin and hammer to get the pin 3/4 of the way out or better.

Lol.. thanks for the comments. I have enough out to start lining it up now :). It looks like I need to size it with one side longer than the other as there is only 1 half link and I need an odd number of whole links but it doesnt look too bad. I think I'll have a rest before I go through trying to find the least bent links to put back in!

Okay now the fun begins. This is JUST LIKE setting finishing nails in trimwork. You get one chance to drive it in flush with no hammer strike on the wood (bracelet) or you can wuss out and taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap (repeat ad nauseum) to get it back in place.

Whatcha gonna do? Man or mouse? Mighty blast or wussy tap?

incompetence.jpg

The PO makes me love my Seiko, where the links are very easy to adjust ;)

Anyway.. where can one purchase that tool with the longer pin? I already have the blue one and it doesn't even push it half way, maybe 1/4 way out and then I have a hell of a time getting the pin the rest of the way out. Omega did a very poor job constructing their bracelets.

Nanuq... What do you do for an encore?

:)

Well sometimes you need a bigger hammer. Or if frustration sets in... an alternate tool. Just make sure your aim is better than mine!

drat_i_missed.jpg

The PO makes me love my Seiko, where the links are very easy to adjust ;)

Anyway.. where can one purchase that tool with the longer pin? I already have the blue one and it doesn't even push it half way, maybe 1/4 way out and then I have a hell of a time getting the pin the rest of the way out. Omega did a very poor job constructing their bracelets.

i bought it in a tool kit from Precious time a ling time ago, bent the original pin and then made a longer stronger one

Lol I feel your pain! I went through the same thing, brute force and pliers eventually won, but bent a few of the pins, couldn't get the fu**kers back in with the crimped barrel in the middle so ended up leaving them out for now (using the most bent pins, so they've not fallen out!) until i can get it in my vice and then i'll just tap the buggers with a small hammer, tell you what though the first pin i put back in, went in just fine with a pair of long nosed pliers, bit of pressure then went in perfect the other side wouldn't go in at all, the link hole was stopping it, i swapped that link out for a spare then the middle bit stopped it.