When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Watch

benew0

Well its been over a year and I finally pulled the trigger and bought a watch from Josh. When I opened the watch up I was about as ecstatic as I've ever been, I can tell that this is going to be an addictive hobby. I couldn't believe the replication on this watch I was thoroughly impressed by its feel and its accuracy when compared with the real thing. Unfortunately my watch does have a couple tell tale signs that I'm working on modifying. First I was unfortunate enough to receive a caseback which reads constellation instead of aqua terra, I was able to polish this off but it still irks me quite a bit. After looking back on Bytors reviews I am also hesitant to believe that I have a genuine Eta 2824 movement and instead I think it might be a low quality seagul movement. If I post pictures of the movement through the caseback would anyone be able to identify it? I'd really appreciate it. I think either way I am going to keep it, but it would be helpful knowledge for the future.

Thanks,

-Benew0

The Aqua Terras are lovely, nice first choice :)

To a certain extent I would say don't worry if it's not 100% accurate to gen - the chances of meeting a true watch geek are pretty slim in the real world so I doubt you'd ever be called out!

Enjoy it if you like the look of it and don't stress too much about tiny deviations from accuracy IMO! :)

Sorry for the delay haven't had a computer for awhile (just got a new macbook pro though!) but here are the pictures I wanted to put up. They are a little blurry because I took them with my phone and maybe I'll put a wrist shot up later...either way I'm really satisfied. Please if there are any movement experts out there that could help determine what it is that I have I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate this forum!

-Ben

Sorry for the delay haven't had a computer for awhile (just got a new macbook pro though!) but here are the pictures I wanted to put up. They are a little blurry because I took them with my phone and maybe I'll put a wrist shot up later...either way I'm really satisfied. Please if there are any movement experts out there that could help determine what it is that I have I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate this forum!

-Ben

post-17636-126557368891_thumb.jpg

post-17636-126557369833_thumb.jpg

...I am also hesitant to believe that I have a genuine Eta 2824 movement and instead I think it might be a low quality seagul movement. If I post pictures of the movement through the caseback would anyone be able to identify it?

The main issue is if you requested and paid for Swiss...what you get. It's hard to say off the pic you sent. If you get one with the rotor in various positions...you need to see some of the other gears to be able to tell which movement it is. From the view you sent and without the super sharpness of a macro lens, it could be either the ETA or Seagull 2836.

Check out Zig's post on the teardown of my Seagull movement I sent him.

Great piece either way. The Sea gull movement is not necessarily bad...just could benefit from service sooner rather than later...Zig's post will explain all!!

Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...

And LIKE IT CAME IT WENT! Yesterday the watch stopped ticking. I have a feeling I was given the seagull movement and not a swiss eta because after only one month the watch has stopped working. Hopefully I am able to resolve this with Joshua and from the sounds of most of his reviews he is a gentlemen, but its still very frustrating that my first watch has already broken. I really hope this gets resolved soon my WRIST FEELS NAKED!