When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC portuguese

glennpenn

There is a hugely expensive one out now, but it is not clear that it has solved the problems in the previous version.

If you really want the Chrono model, the best options remain a second hand gen or the Concepta franken versions.

Otherwise I would recommend that you stay away from this one.

Avitt's DLC Solution to the High Friction

Powdered Graphite Treatment

For DLC pricing, you'll have to contact Avitt directly as you'll likely need some watchmaker services to remove the modification plate before coating and whether or note he does the disassembly or not will likely affect the service fee (plus shipping of course).

There was a post somewhere I think by Freddy333 (but I couldn't find it) on him recently getting back a Daytona with the seconds-at-6 movement that had the graphite treatment done a couple years ago or so, and it was still running fine.

I have seen a version for $828 on perfect-hour.com with a swiss 7750.

Why should this version have fixed the problems, as the A7750 is build similar? Other mods to the movt done? J

The Swiss 7750 has a better drive train so less power is lost. More power means friction affects it less. It'll take longer to die.

It's still not perfect, though.

Francisco is not convinced about the graphite treatment and has ceased to offer it. Domi says that the DLC does not work.

Either way the movement remains problematic to say the least.

For more input read the following:

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=69518

In my opinion this watch is so far below acceptable quality standards that it should not be sold by trusted dealers here.

Francisco is not convinced about the graphite treatment and has ceased to offer it. Domi says that the DLC does not work.

Either way the movement remains problematic to say the least.

Shhhhhh! Don't let these guys hear you say that:

img6554.jpg

...They've been ticking along happily, and I wouldn't want them to become alarmed! ;)

Shhhhhh! Don't let these guys hear you say that:

img6554.jpg

...They've been ticking along happily, and I wouldn't want them to become alarmed! ;)

Good to hear that there are success stories out there.

Still the survey on RG showed a failure rate of move than 50%. That is in my book totally unacceptable.

Speaking from personal experience, I've got two Portuguese Chronos and think they're one of the finest-looking watches out there, but they don't work. I've graphited both of them and the result is that they run very well for a while, and start to degrade in performance, until one day they just stop.

If I were less scrupulous, I could clean them out, graphite them afresh and sell them as working watches, letting the new owner enjoy them for the few months they'd get, but that would be very dishonest.

Instead, what I do is every time I'm doing lots of watch work, I'll strip them to the front plate and clean and graphite them. Then, when they die, it's back in the drawer until next time. Not ideal, but that's what it takes.

So, if yours is running smoothly, that's excellent. If one day the second-hand starts jerking slightly, you know its time is nigh: Don't rely on it; it's going to die.

3714ab-01-640.jpg

Thanks for all feedback:-) Here´s a stupid question; could any watchmaker mod/service it to be fully functional?

And one more thing. Are all available portuguese´s from the same factory or should I look for any particular model/producer?

G

Edited by glennpenn

So, if yours is running smoothly, that's excellent. If one day the second-hand starts jerking slightly, you know its time is nigh: Don't rely on it; it's going to die.

In general, that statement is true.

In my case, I've done all the work myself, and I'm very confident in the reliability of my pieces :good: I know that the parts have been properly lubricated (it's a fact that DLC is reduces the coefficient of friction...That's not just speculation.) I know that the pivots have been replaced perfectly (not too tight, nor too loose), and have been epoxied into place. I know that the transfer gears will all rotate freely with puff of air from a squeeze bulb prior to assembly.

It's unlikely that you will find a watchmaker who will give the type of care and attention to a piece that I give to my own, so I'm sure that my watches are the exception to any rule. However, I have the utmost confidence that they will continue to run far into the future.

(Wanted to note that the seconds hand on both of mine are not completely smooth in their sweep...That's a function of the spacing of the transfer gears, which cannot be adjusted, and is inherent in the design.)

Concepta does provide an ultimate option, but it's about 3x the price of the mods that I've done for my own. If I didn't have the skills to perform these mods myself, then I'd just save for the Concepta version. (If my pieces should ever fail, that's the way that I'll be going myself).

I opted for a gen movement for longevity. The 3714 was a watch I'd always wanted to pick up, but the modified A7750 powering the rep was one that I was cautious of. When concepta offered a genuine 79350 for this watch, I knew this was the solution I was waiting for.

IMG_8015.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

If this movement is good enough for IWC to stick in their Portu Chrono and charge $6k for it, it's more than sufficient for my needs!