When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex sub rep bezel insert hung out in the sun

aeromatic

well after reading posts about fading an insert bezel i decided to do my own experiment (at the risk of destroying an excellent yukiwatch bezel insert!)am i crazy?

so today is the first day 7/2/2010 , this would be better if done during the summer ,but here in cyprus we seem to get the sun almost everyday

Since i have no idea how long this will take i will post reports as and when i see noticable changes to the insert i will post also photos.

Due to the fact that today we have different painting/printing systems i have no idea as to what kind of patina if any i will achieve many new systems are designed to be UV resistant to a certain degree. but if i can get similar results like some members have achieved with baking/bleaching i will be happy.

Edited by aeromatic

My guess is you'll get bored with the project before you see any difference. But good luck and keep us informed.

thanks kbh this insert came with the 15min graduation on my yuki 6538 case and yuki sent me the correct insert later,its only going to be stored in my drawer so why not in the sun!

I used a Yuiki.. best one ..imo for aging..

see here>Aging Inserts

See here for somewhat finished results> Insert

what you want to do is remove as much paint off the insert as possible to give it a faded silver metallic look.. so a slow "burn" with dilluted bleach after the initial concentrated bleaching worked best for me. then some time in the Sun..

Her is an attempt a long time ago with a WSO insert.. not exactly what I was looking for.. too much concentrated bleach for too long...

vc1665drsd048.jpg

Good luck with your aging :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

I used a Yuiki.. best one ..imo for aging..

Good luck with your aging :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

thanks lanikai great photo your bezel insert is great,i dont believe that inserts fade the same all over anyway.

i believe that gen insert patina are a combination of uv light and wear and or sea salt. some great ways available for fading an insert,

i suppose that there really is more than one way to skin a cat! aeromatic!!! :victory: thanks guys

You could take one pic a day and wind up with a time lapse video of a fading bezel insert.

thats a great idea! i was thinking about once a week? :thumbsupsmileyanim: the first day it was sunny today we had a storm! ah well mabe tommorrow!

I'll look forward to seeing how the project progresses :victory:

Thanks teejay i will keep you informed on progress! and thanks to all for your different ideas,i will stick with this project

to see over a certain time what kind of results can be had with natural fading ,of course not every insert will have the same finishing system so im lookin forward to results!

thanks kbh this insert came with the 15min graduation on my yuki 6538 case and yuki sent me the correct insert later,its only going to be stored in my drawer so why not in the sun!

...guys..guys...what r u trying to do? Whom r u trying to fool by scratching your reps with sandpapers knives brillos and stones...or baking or throwing from t balcony...(yes AEROMATIC it's me again,your guardian angel).The only one u fool...is your selves first n then all t others..(well...not all of them).Let your timekeepers age naturally n physically,n let em remind u...not only what time is...but olso the memories of each scratch.Start writing your own story on your watches by wearing them everyday n all times n don't mind where u hit em.The most hilarius of all,was that guy who baked t bezel with some cookies...well man...next time make some barbecue to age your dial n tell us what happened

...guys..guys...what r u trying to do? Whom r u trying to fool by scratching your reps with sandpapers knives brillos and stones...or baking or throwing from t balcony...(yes AEROMATIC it's me again,your guardian angel).The only one u fool...is your selves first n then all t others..(well...not all of them).Let your timekeepers age naturally n physically,n let em remind u...not only what time is...but olso the memories of each scratch.Start writing your own story on your watches by wearing them everyday n all times n don't mind where u hit em.The most hilarius of all,was that guy who baked t bezel with some cookies...well man...next time make some barbecue to age your dial n tell us what happened

Next time i buy a pair of new levis i will make sure they sell me nonefaded (stonewashed) jeans!!!!!! :bangin: and that distressed indy leather jacket is off the menue too! Happy!!!!!aeromatic ps i bet you havent forgiven me for aging my 5513 case and crystal?

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks teejay i will keep you informed on progress! and thanks to all for your different ideas,i will stick with this project

to see over a certain time what kind of results can be had with natural fading ,of course not every insert will have the same finishing system so im lookin forward to results!

I definitely think it'll be an interesting project, but, I suspect it might be quite a long-term one ;)

Fooling ourselves is all part of the fun :D (Not as much fun as custom-building watches, of course :victory: ) When I was younger, I never felt like a watch was 'my watch' until it had a scratch on the crystal, now, I've just come to appreciate the vintage aesthetic over factory pristine :lol: Another thing I've found, is that wearing a 'vintaged' watch, means no-one pays it any attention, so it avoids the whole "Is that a real Rolex?" question :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I definitely think it'll be an interesting project, but, I suspect it might be quite a long-term one ;)

hi teejay yes it will be interesting and a long project actually we have a strong sun over here so im hoping it wont be so long of cause depends on finishing processes on todays inserts but we have seen faded inserts posted here with various techniques applied!

so fingers crossed!

Edited by aeromatic

Fooling ourselves is all part of the fun :D (Not as much fun as custom-building watches, of course :victory: ) When I was younger, I never felt like a watch was 'my watch' until it had a scratch on the crystal, now, I've just come to appreciate the vintage aesthetic over factory pristine :lol: Another thing I've found, is that wearing a 'vintaged' watch, means no-one pays it any attention, so it avoids the whole "Is that a real Rolex?" question :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hello TJ...got t meaning. OK then...ill get a tin box,falf fill it with sand,put a dozen of sharp edged stones,put my 5517 rep in,firmly close it... n give it a hell of a shake hoping that barbecue was not t best idea for fading a watch :blowup:

My sentiments exactly, TeeJay!

Of course, if someone's genuinely interested, then that's always nice, but it does rather deflect the half-assed attempts of ridicule from the socially inadequate who think the size of their wallet corresponds to the size of their junk ;):thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hello TJ...got t meaning. OK then...ill get a tin box,falf fill it with sand,put a dozen of sharp edged stones,put my 5517 rep in,firmly close it... n give it a hell of a shake hoping that barbecue was not t best idea for fading a watch :blowup:

Hello George Loiz, I'm a fan of your customizing work :good::victory: I have to admit, personally, I have never found the 'rattle traps' very effective in marking up a watch... I've always preferred to grind the bracelet/case against house bricks or ceramic tile edges, and even used the blade of a pair of scissors in a slicing motion to put gouges into a case. Of course, that will all seriously scuff up a case, but by re-finishing the case with a 4-surface nail buffer, it blends them all in nicely for a more subtle effect :drinks:

A gen "naturally faded" 5513 insert just sold for $631 on flea-bay! :shock:

that gen is a gem! just wondering are there any members that can verify a gen insert i mean if i wanted to buy a gen insert for my sub i couldent be sure it was a gen ,sure i can tell an "authentic" looking good quality one!!!

Edited by aeromatic

[quote name='TeeJay'

Hello George Loiz, I'm a fan of your customizing work :good::victory: I have to admit, personally, I have never found the 'rattle traps' very effective in marking up a watch... I've always preferred to grind the bracelet/case against house bricks or ceramic tile edges, and even used the blade of a pair of scissors in a slicing motion to put gouges into a case. Of course, that will all seriously scuff up a case, but by re-finishing the case with a 4-surface nail buffer, it blends them all in nicely for a more subtle effect :drinks:

have you got some photos of your work love to see them?

Sure :)

I applied luminous material and matte varnish to the dial, and tinted the 24 hour hand from yellow to red:

DSCN2619.jpg

This watch has now had just about every component modified/replaced in some way, and is my favorite (I love how comfortable the low-profile case is)

DSCN2704.jpg

Likewise, this watch has had every major component replaced:

DSCN2590.jpg

When I bought it, it looked like this:

DSCN1097.jpg

I lumed this dial for practice:

DSCN2634.jpg

This was an experiment using printed vinyl as a dial overlay:

DSCN2502.jpg

Sure :)

I applied luminous material and matte varnish to the dial,

Great work there i love the explorer and the tudor i want to do some dial work on my 5512 i was thinking about a relume and or using matt varnish on the dial to age it, any tips on doing this would be appreciated, actually the dial looks better than my 1665 comex, the comex yellow dots are too bright and too new looking, so may do the 1665 as well i was going to replace the dial but i do like this dial on the 5512post-27094-12660781472_thumb.jpg my 5512 eta 2783 powered slow beat!

post-27094-126607839552_thumb.jpg my comex submariner the only part iv aged so far on this is the crystal(with a 3m scouring pad)

Great work there i love the explorer and the tudor i want to do some dial work on my 5512 i was thinking about a relume and or using matt varnish on the dial to age it, any tips on doing this would be appreciated, actually the dial looks better than my 1665 comex, the comex yellow dots are too bright and too new looking, so may do the 1665 as well i was going to replace the dial but i do like this dial on the 5512post-27094-12660781472_thumb.jpg my 5512 eta 2783 powered slow beat!

post-27094-126607839552_thumb.jpg my comex submariner the only part iv aged so far on this is the crystal(with a 3m scouring pad)

Thanks :) A coating of matte varnish definitely has a nice effect of aging the dial :) In the past, I've also baked a dial under a grill for 30 seconds, but that was actually a bit too long, but the effect was quite good :) The only problem with baking, is it destroys the luminous qualities, so I'm preferring the results with the matte varnish :) Scouring pads are great to use for re-brushing a case/bracelet, but what I've found most useful, is a 4-surface nail buffer. Put a load of scratches and gouges into the case, (or even the crystal) and then use the buffer to re-finish. It'll take out most of the 'surface' scratches, and blend the deeper ones in really nicely :)

Thanks :) A coating of matte varnish definitely has a nice effect of aging the dial :) In the past, I've also baked a dial under a grill for 30 seconds, but that was actually a bit too long, but the effect was quite good :) The only problem with baking, is it destroys the luminous qualities, so I'm preferring the results with the matte varnish :) Scouring pads are great to use for re-brushing a case/bracelet, but what I've found most useful, is a 4-surface nail buffer. Put a load of scratches and gouges into the case, (or even the crystal) and then use the buffer to re-finish. It'll take out most of the 'surface' scratches, and blend the deeper ones in really nicely :)

Thanks teejay i will go with the the matt varnish how did you apply it with a small paint brush? its the waterbased one?

i aged my case wearing the watch while i was doing some diy building work (house bricks contact)and then i used autosol metal polish, to polish out the surface scratches on my 5508 case i polished up later the top of the lugs as i have seen this happen on vintage gen subs it looked great! thanks again :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by aeromatic