When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moon Phase

gran

When I was at school, one of my friends had a watch which was a digital moonphase. Absolutely fantastic watch. Polished SS case, with a gold-colored fixed bezel, and a really thick honey-tan strap. I never got one, and I don't think they're available any more, but that really was the business :)

Was it a "YES" watch TeeJay? Because I've owned one of those for 4 years and they just upgraded the movement for me about last year. They have several models which might match your description but mine is a "ZULU" titanium model.

U103.4.large.jpg

Now back to the "mechanical" moonphase discussion, good topic Gran!

I always liked moon phase watches but do not have any replicas or mechanicals with moon phase...what I do have is a Citizen Eco-Drive AP1024-56P.

Hard to beat for accuracy, reliability, and price imho.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.bluedial.com/ap1024-56p.htm

The sun/moon display on automatic and manual wind watches is good for when the watch has run down as it shows if the watch stopped on am or pm.

This saves running the hands around to find am or pm when starting it again.

Was it a "YES" watch TeeJay? Because I've owned one of those for 4 years and they just upgraded the movement for me about last year. They have several models which might match your description but mine is a "ZULU" titanium model.

U103.4.large.jpg

Now back to the "mechanical" moonphase discussion, good topic Gran!

Thank you Omni :group:

Check this:

http://www.asian7750...13&P_id=603&ti=

I think there is also a steel version!

Yes! That has the Sea-Gull ST1908 (modified VENUS 175) movement

However we still do not know if it has a true 29.5 day cycle moonphase and how accurate it is at that

The so called moonphase in the Patek is probably Chinese version of an Miyota (SEIKO type cheap rotor)

21.jpg

I guess a number of Poljot handwound movements as in the so called Buran moonphase is a candidate movement that could pop up in some replicas too

b-back-310579-342st-big_jpg.jpgb-310579_3421889_jpg.jpgb-back-286-s-big_jpg.jpgb-31679-2861541-big_jpg.jpg

Current calibre families produced by Sea-Gull described by vendors to have moonphases

Explanations of terms used:

1. True moonphase = 29.5 day cycle

2. Faux = Fake = complications that are said to be moonphases but have 12

Example of FAUX 31 day moonphase on date wheel with 1 (yes one!) jewel :yuk:

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/movements/p/pg_time/pg_time_e355.php?l=en

The caliber E355 is a simple pin lever movement with just one jewel and no shock protection. The only speciality is the false moon phase indication: Instead of the date numbers, the date ring was printed with ten different moon phases. Theoretically a nice idea, but with a major fault: A full moon phase takes 29.5 days, while one full rotation of the date ring takes 31 days :cry2: