When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedy Moon Movement swap?

Malakei

Hey there guys, i'm no movement expert so i'm really not sure if this is possible but logically it does seem to be to me :)

I've noticed the large difference in the subdial spacing between the gen moonwatch and the typical replica 7750 you see around. However, i've also noticed the accuracy of the subdial spacing on the quartz versions. Is it possible to use the case of a quartz moon rep and swap in another type of chrono movement that uses the same chrono subdial spacing? Is there a movement with the proper spacing other then the gen omega? Ideally im trying to make a fairly accurate moon rep here and it just looks way too far off with the 7750 IMO. Any ideas??

Thanks

Justin

This is the Holy Grail quest for many...proper spacing on a tricompax layout. There is a newer movement with the tighter spacing that has only been released with the PO Chrono and the Omega Double Eagle Constellation...no Moon Watch version unfortunately.

The Sea Gull is still a wide format spacing so inaccurate. The display back (though inaccurate) does show a beautiful watch movement. ;)

There has been a big desire in the community for the factories to release a more accurately spaced Speedy with the new compact layout...but it hasn't happened yet. So...until then...who knows.

You could try sourcing a replacement tightly-spaced movement from the dealers, a quartz version of the watch and see if you could make a hybrid...but you would likely want the better case and bracelet...and would need new hands maybe...hmmm...

Almost... lol

Pug's gen speedy was purchased from the forum for $1000. I remember the sale offer and pulled the trigger too slowly. :( Thumbs up to Pug though...got one of his grail pieces for a great price...but more importantly, a grail piece like this stayed with the RWG community of active members!!

• 2 months later...

1000$ for this beauty ? Wooh nice catch !!

And Malakei, even with a movement which allowed tight subdial spacing, IMHO the quartz dial is not so good, the subdial are not "recessed" the way it supposed to be

Sorry for reviving this thread. Nice Gen ! I was wondering if anyone know what CASE MODEL # of the REP is ? If I wanted to swap case backs with a gen, I wanted to make sure it would fit. Would a 861 case (145.022) fit a replica speedy moon watch ? The same one Pugz posted in his first post ?

I am willing to swap a "clear" case back for a solid one (that fits).

cheers!