When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No-Date Maxi Sub

jmb

I had thought about doing this for a while but TeeJay put me over the edge. I had a new no-date dial I had received that was missing an hour marker and a couple LV dials I figured I'd never use so I had my ingredients. It was an easy project and I think it'll be perfect once I find some "Maxi Hands" for a21j.

First I popped out all of the markers from the no-date dial. I then popped all of the markers out of one LV dial and one 9:00 marker from a second. It's then simply a matter of inserting the "new" markers into their respective holes, flipping over, and putting a dot of epoxy (or other adhesive) on each exposed "post". Let dry and reassemble.

I really had intended to file the CGs this time but I was so intent on getting a look at the dial I forgot! Next time, right? :lol:

Here's what it looks like - just imagine it with the correct hands:

ndmax 2.JPG

ndmax 3.JPG

ndmax 4.JPG

As you can see this piece is picking up numerous nicks and scratches as I wear it often, usually in a harsh environment! But, this is what a "tool watch" is for, right? Gimme an amen, brother! ;)

Interesting, JB! I can't decide if I like modern maxi-dials or not!

P1000254-2.jpg

I still don't know what to do with this one!

Personally, I like Maxi-dials simply as it means more visibility :) That said, I do prefer the old-style dial of a 1680, compared to the modern Maxi-dial, simply because I prefer the 'surround-less' look

As for what do to with that one... Only one answer...

Wear it well :tu::drinks:

I also have an ETA 2836-2 (may be a clone) but the hands fit on it. It has a date wheel, but it's the wrong one for a sub - may be perfect for a no-date sub. Let me know if you need it. I won't be needing it for anything at the moment. Maybe we can trade for a hand presser set :D