When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Friday wrist check

mastrmindalliance

786590485_CxRdd-X3.jpg786590494_UuqYw-X3.jpg

775393155_N27fS-X3.jpg

Very nice :tu: I think that's the look I'm going to have to go for with my Daytona project... I love how it looks on a strap, but think a Tropic would mean not having to worry about getting it wet :tu:

As for myself, I don't trust the movement in my 6200 project (although it does appear to be keeping accurate time) so I'm down to the 1655... Who knows, I might even get to like it... :bangin:

DSCN2890.jpg

Very nice :tu: I think that's the look I'm going to have to go for with my Daytona project... I love how it looks on a strap, but think a Tropic would mean not having to worry about getting it wet :tu:

Thanks, TeeJay (and swdivad)! It's usually on a folded-link bracelet, but I thought this would be a good alternative for casual Fridays. I was originally looking at getting a genuine Rolex ostrich strap in light brown, but the Tropic is just about a perfect fit, especially with those curved ends. I'm still not sure if Rolex ever sold Daytonas with Tropic straps already fitted, like they did the Submariners. Anyhow, it's a good thing the lugholes make the strap changes so easy!

How much longer are you going to give your 1655? I think it looks great, but I've never seen anyone want to like a watch as much as you!

Thanks, TeeJay (and swdivad)! It's usually on a folded-link bracelet, but I thought this would be a good alternative for casual Fridays. I was originally looking at getting a genuine Rolex ostrich strap in light brown, but the Tropic is just about a perfect fit, especially with those curved ends. I'm still not sure if Rolex ever sold Daytonas with Tropic straps already fitted, like they did the Submariners. Anyhow, it's a good thing the lugholes make the strap changes so easy!

How much longer are you going to give your 1655? I think it looks great, but I've never seen anyone want to like a watch as much as you!

You're very welcome :drinks: I have to admit, when I received my Daytona case/set gift, I liked it immediately, and once I'd buffed the polished center links to a brushed finish, I knew that it was going to be a project which could acquire 'beater status', but it was seeing the other vintage pics from Hike and others, showing the Daytonas on straps, which made me first try a brown strap, although I think black straps work best with the panda dial :) Of course, better to have the tropic strap so there's no worries about getting the watch wet :) I'm not sure if the Tropic was ever issued with a Daytona, but, it might have been an option if the customer asked for one :)

:lol: I won't be getting rid of the 1655, as I want to keep it, even if just as a back up should my beater ever fail (which has been known to happen :whistling: ) Aesthetically, I'm very pleased with the dial mods I performed, and I do rather like the overall design, although I can understand why Rolex phased out this style of dial for the Explorers and went with the Sub-style for the contemporary Explorer II's (which I think really should be Explorer IIIs :D ) I think the problem with the 1655 (for me, at least) is that while I like it from an aesthetic point of view, on the practical side, I'm very aware of the lack of timing bezel, and the hours markers can blend together when the watch is glanced at (although the very visible hands do help to compensate for that) so I think it's those 'practical lackings' which are preventing me from totally bonding with it as a watch, as I'm always aware of what's missing... I guess I really should try and appreciate it more for what it can do :) What with the movement of my 6200 project being unreliable, it's going to get quite a bit of wrist time from now on, so hopefully I'll come top appreciate it more :)