When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Question

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I am getting out of control with these watches!!! Someone needs to stop me. My newest craving is a nice GWSD. I like the price tag of puretime's GWSD but have heard that the MBW is a better rep. Would a puretime 1665 with a MBW dial be a good combination. I realize that the dial and hands would have to be relumed to match. One thing that turns me off about the puretime is the nylon washer around the crystal that I have been reading about. Has anyone found a work around for that? I am really lookign for a good example without breaking the bank. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Thanks!!!!

Hi Guys,

I am getting out of control with these watches!!! Someone needs to stop me. My newest craving is a nice GWSD. I like the price tag of puretime's GWSD but have heard that the MBW is a better rep. Would a puretime 1665 with a MBW dial be a good combination. I realize that the dial and hands would have to be relumed to match. One thing that turns me off about the puretime is the nylon washer around the crystal that I have been reading about. Has anyone found a work around for that? I am really lookign for a good example without breaking the bank. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Thanks!!!!

I have a 1665 MBW GWSD - (it's the old style case and relumed) I did a fair amount of vintaging to it - really cool hunk of a 70's tool watch...

vin2.jpg

I have got a PT 1665 on order to use as a parts source to complete an MBW 1665. I then thought about just putting the MBW dial into the PT, but the more info that comes out about the PT the less I like it.

I am now going back to my original plan of using the PT movement, date wheel and bracelet with the MBW case, dial and gen clasp.

I think if you want a decent out of the box rep without moding go for the PT, anyone who can call you out on that will also be able to spot an MBW.

If you think you will want to mod it now or later get the MBW as you will end up with a better product . It is probably a worse out of the box rep as its immediately let down by the pearl and lug holes.

I have two MBW 1665 cases one about 4 years old and one brought recently from ETZ. The only difference I can see and measure is the crown guards which are much better on the newer case.

Both are very hard and the lug holes took a long time to drill.

Both required the case to be retapped to take a gen tube.

Both take a Clarke Superdome.

I am not sure about the bezel insert as I intend to reuse the MBW one with a Yuki pearl.