When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nice Doxa on TZ

Martyd3

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, my friend.

Some look at a shiny new Rolex DeepSea and see beauty. Others see ugly.

Some look at an old well loved (abused?) watch and see ugly. Others see beauty.

Some look at a Monet and see a maze of brush strokes. Others see a memory of a place they've been.

This is what "art" is all about. Good art should repulse you, or attract you. No middle ground.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Am I or am I not looking looking at a beat up case, scratched up crystal and two missing pearls? A piece of junk. The fact that is it old, just makes it an old piece of junk.

I don't get it...

It just happens to be the going rate for vintage Doxa dive watches lately. In fact, most classic dive watches these days are climbing in value no matter what the brand. At one time, a Rolex sub was the only game in town for collector diver watches, now as their prices have gotten to ridiculous amounts, folks turn to the equally cool pieces from other makers. Vintage military dive watches especially get high prices. An Eterna Kon-Tiki Super IDF military issue is both hard to come by and is getting pricey, and like the Doxa, has a look that not everyone would appreciate.

No matter what, you gotta admit that the "Aqua Lung" logo on that dial looks way cool.

Cheers B)

Well said, SouthCoast. And I've been telling people for years that this is a HUGE opportunity we're looking at.

How much was a Doxa SUB 300T 5 years ago? Half what it is now.

Certina DS2? I just saw a primo example go for $442. Expect that to double in 3-5 years.

Super Kon-Tikis have doubled in 5 years with no end in sight.

Keep an eye on the Zodiac Sea Wolf. If you can find an orange one, grab it now!

zodiacseablacklther18_01.jpg

3110438956_62d29f5320.jpg

@SouthCoast... there's the perennial question. My estimation of what will become collectible is, "is it rare?" and "is there a coolness factor?" and "does it serve a segment of society that others will eventually want to emulate?"

For Doxa, the answers were, and continue to be, "yes", "yes" and "yes". Same with vintage Rolex.

Now think of any Rolex made since about ca. 1985. Ask the same questions and you get "no", "yes" and "no".

Are your links rare AND cool AND desireable? No, yes, and yes.

If they only made 100 each of the Zinex, then I think you'd almost have something. But for the most part they're hommage to existing genuine cool vintage pieces... so I doubt they'll go where the gens have gone.

Just my $.02

And then factor in the "History" of the Doxa ~ Rolex and other brands..

needless to say the Names involved in the Doxa.. Clive Cussler, who just recently found the H.L. Hunley in the waters off South Carolina, not to mention his literary accomplishments, but for Dr. Cussler, and History the Hunley was magnanimous.. first submarine made during the Civil War.. plus all the underwater projects in which Doxa was used..

Wow.. what a history this watch has.. to most the vintage Doxa's are probably thought of as being worn by someone who cannot afford a luxury watch..

if they only knew..

just today I had on my 300NT.. and in the locker room someone mentioned that he collects watches and has a Breitling Avenger.. I corrected him .. it's a Super Avenger.. but he had no clue what that "Orange" thang was on ma wrist.. I just chuckled and told him it was a "keep sake" :lol: .. I don't get into the trouble of explaining what history it has.. to peeps that would not appreciate it..

the difference between collecting "history" and "watches" for me is huge.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edit add:.. correction.. I always think of Dr Cussler as finding the Hunley.. but in actuality he funded the expedition.. but I remember the interview with him the day it was located.. that is like all the dreams of a treasure hunter come true but the treasure was history and not gold..

Nice pick up Lani. I saw that this morning and was so glad it was sold. Prevented the usual hand-wringing bank account analysis. How nice that it is YOU who got it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The early U.S. Diver's/Sailboat backs are the best. To those who don't 'get' vintage, I suppose museums are just full of old crap? A bit (OK, completely) ignorant, but I'm happy so many dismiss the old gems as junk - leaves more for me to hunt for.

I've enjoyed my Philippines/Subic Bay-plucked example for several years now.

doxadial.jpg

Can't wait to see that beauty back to it's old self - don't make it too nice, though.

Well said, Lani. I'm down to about 7 pieces in my collection that each have a significant "history" to me. The rest?? It's about time to sell 'em off.

a history,,,well said,,more and more all my watches have a story....I just got into a small issue with the wife,,,,I was saying how I wanted to pick up an Alsta since it was in "jaws"....her response....how can you like a watch since it was just in a movie",,,my reponse..."just a movie"...no...epic,,adventure...a story...a piece of our collective history...