When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Kind Of Music Do You Prefer?

fitmic

What kind of music do you prefer?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Here are your choices_

• Classical (Beethoven)
    • Opera (Pavarotti)
    • Reggae/SKA (Marley, Dekker)
    • Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden)
    • Pop (Madonna)
    • Rock (Dire Straits)
    • Blues (BB King)
    • Gospel (Al Green)
    • Country (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash)
    • Electronic (Jarre, Kraftwerk)
    • Hip hop (Public Enemy)

I like bands with huge live sound... I personally prefer good quality live albums (like soundboard bootleg recordings) over studio albums.

I listen to all kinds of music... mostly progressive rock (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Camel, King Crimson, old Genesis (pre-Collins), Gentle Giant, etc.) but my all-time favourite bands are Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who and Led Zeppelin.

I also like Dave Matthews Band a lot. I know, it's completely different music from my other favourites... but they have excellent, huge live sound that I like. They're completely unknown in Europe though... so I'm not holding my breath seeing them live, ever.

Old David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Simon & Garfunkel and even Dire Straits work. Beatles too, of course. Actually, I like almost anything that's not played on MTV and commercial radio stations.

Now playing: Mars Volta "De-Loused on Comatorium"

hey fitmic if your a big maiden fan. have you heard of lauren harris? She is Steve Harris Daughter and is making a go at being a pop star.

http://www.monstroentertainment.com/laurenmusic.php

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=33473263

Monstro is my cousin, he is producing her. In fact my dad is in her first video (not released yet)

Personally i pray at the alter of Dream Theater and King's X

Yeah, I've heard her, but her music is not my cup of tea. But she's damn hot!!! :D

I'm with eddhead...I could pick many categories.

However, I went with METAL!!!!!!!

115079-22968.jpg

Oh...and HIP HOP or ©Rap is NOT music.

It's just a repeated utterance; reiteration of words...also known as RHYMING...for which I was doing in NURSERY SCHOOL. Boy, what talent. :thumbdown:

Nothing like Judas Priest for sure. It's looks like it's mostly a bunch of head bangers on this forum. You gotta love that! I'm a big KISS fan myself.

Damn... where to start?...

Was Pink Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin. Frank Zappa, BB King, Joe Cocker and many others. :blink:

Moved to Rush, Van Halen, Aerosmith, then to Metallica, RHCP, Creed, Soundgarden, Joe Satriani and Stevie Vai...

Now still Red Hot CPs, Steve Vai, liking Linkin Park quite a bit.

Always Jazz, sometimes Fusion, sometimes classical...

Tried Hip Hop but I guess I'm too old :bleh: Techno got me baffled but some industrial stuff is OK in moderation.

Nothing like Judas Priest for sure. It's looks like it's mostly a bunch of head bangers on this forum. You gotta love that! I'm a big KISS fan myself.

I think i have pretty eceletic tastes, at least I think I do.. my g/f would disagree but that is b/c i have a very low tolerance for top 40 tripe.. i mean celine dione??? can you feel my pain??

Anyway, iam considerably older than most of u 'youngins' (but damn i look good!!!) the music i grew up to listening to was from 60's and 70's... groups like Dylan, CSNY, Stones, Beatles, Buffalo Sringfield, Byrds, Hendrix, Clapton, Allman Bros., Led Zep, Who. and some west coast stuff like Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Eagles.. I loved Little Feat when Lowell George was alive... Someone mentioned pre-collins Genesys featuring Gabriel.. I am rite with ya there! Also more traditional blues... BB King, Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Buddy Guy...Later on my tastes evolved with the times... more punkie/new wave... Sex Pistols, Takling Heads, Blondie (all the CBGC and Mud Club bands) Pretenders, Cars, Velvet Underground, Bowie, Cranberries were big with me too, et al... and again late into the grunge bands... Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains.. and later yet Greenday. These days I listen to all the above... but also have been have started to listen to some contemporary Jazz like Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck.. I am trying to get into classical as well.. sort of a struggle.. I really like it in small doses, but beyond that zzzzzz......

I think i have pretty eceletic tastes, at least I think I do.. my g/f would disagree but that is b/c i have a very low tolerance for top 40 tripe.. i mean celine dione??? can you feel my pain??

Anyway, iam considerably older than most of u 'youngins' (but damn i look good!!!) the music i grew up to listening to was from 60's and 70's... groups like Dylan, CSNY, Stones, Beatles, Buffalo Sringfield, Byrds, Hendrix, Clapton, Allman Bros., Led Zep, Who. and some west coast stuff like Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Eagles.. I loved Little Feat when Lowell George was alive... Someone mentioned pre-collins Genesys featuring Gabriel.. I am rite with ya there! Also more traditional blues... BB King, Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Buddy Guy...Later on my tastes evolved with the times... more punkie/new wave... Sex Pistols, Takling Heads, Blondie (all the CBGC and Mud Club bands) Pretenders, Cars, Velvet Underground, Bowie, Cranberries were big with me too, et al... and again late into the grunge bands... Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains.. and later yet Greenday. These days I listen to all the above... but also have been have started to listen to some contemporary Jazz like Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck.. I am trying to get into classical as well.. sort of a struggle.. I really like it in small doses, but beyond that zzzzzz......

Classical is only listened to when my 1 year old daughter is in the car. For some reason she loves Bethoven, especially 'Moonlight'. The Jazz has its moments, like at a restaurant or something, but for old fashioned tailgating like we will be doing tomorrow I like to start the day off early in the morning, first with a strong screwdrider, then with a cold beer and a mix of AC/DC, Golden Earring, Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses, Skynard, KISS, and of course TED Nugent. If that can't get you fired up for some football, nothing can. When we get good and drunk, and just don't give a [censored] anymore, then we let the old ladies listen to their music, Violent Femmes and The Cure. Just different taste in music!

Classical is only listened to when my 1 year old daughter is in the car. For some reason she loves Bethoven, especially 'Moonlight'. The Jazz has its moments, like at a restaurant or something, but for old fashioned tailgating like we will be doing tomorrow I like to start the day off early in the morning, first with a strong screwdrider, then with a cold beer and a mix of AC/DC, Golden Earring, Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses, Skynard, KISS, and of course TED Nugent. If that can't get you fired up for some football, nothing can. When we get good and drunk, and just don't give a [censored] anymore, then we let the old ladies listen to their music, Violent Femmes and The Cure. Just different taste in music!

HAH!!! So, what parking lot do you do your tailgaiting in!!! :whistling:

i usualy listen metal and black metal bands.

Maiden, Metallica, ACDC, Trust (french), Siebenburgen,Dragonhammer,Bathory,Virgin Steele,Saxon,Immortal,Dimmu Borgir, Accept, Therion,Suidakra...

Philippe my friend...

Dimmu Borgir 'Enthrone Darkess Triumphant'.. the best Black metal album EVER..

115315-22918.jpg

A Succubus in Rapture one of the best black metal songs ever... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I decided to share the genres that are represented on my MP3 player. So here is the rundown:

Alt Country: 271 tracks

Blues: 249

Books: 262

Brazilian: 125

Chamber Music: 515

Choral: 205

Classic Rock: 314

Classical: 553

Classical Vocals: 291

Flamenco/Gypsy: 72

Folk: 163

Folk Rock: 319

Free/Avant Jazz: 28

French: 38

Jazz: 484

Jazz Vocals: 419

Latin: 96

New Age: 273

Opera: 327

Oriental: 12

Reggae: 12

Rock: 513

Soft Rock: 372

Soundtrack: 95

Symphony: 144

World: 89

This is a 30 gig player, and I usually have to delete something in order to put something else on. The books category right now includes two unabridged novels because I was flying internationally recently. I had to bump a couple of operas and other things to make room. Normally I'd only have one novel, or a portion of a novel, on at any one time.

Some genres groupings are somewhat arbitrary, but based on what groupings of music I might like to listen to in shuffle mode. For example, at work I sometimes like to listen to jazz with or without vocals, hence that category breakdown. Also, how do you separate artists between folk rock and soft rock, for example? On the other hand, I think getting too granular with genre breakdowns is nuts.

Next time, I want a 40G or 60G player so I can get even more music on there. But what I really need is an 80G or 100G!!! :lol: