When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Amature Sub Project Inspired By ..

2005SUBMARINER

hellow my fellow RWG members , iv been gathering some gen rolex parts from the bay to attempt my 1st sub mod project :) after studying UBI'S & TRIBALS MOD SKILLS :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

im a total amature but love the chalenge .. so here we go .

AFTER REMOVEING THE MOVEMENT i then removed the rep crown tube with this inexpensive file tool that i bought at my local 99 cent store :) i heated the rep crown tube to soften any old glue & it came out fairly easy ..

114517-23105.jpg

i then applied some 3m super glue on the new gen 7mm rolex crown tube .

this glue works great with , inserts , crown tubes & glueing the new crown to the stem & its water proof .

114517-23106.jpg

here is the gen 7mm crown tube

114517-23107.jpg

the new gen crown tube & crown installed

114517-23108.jpg

due to the size of the crown guards of the old solid end link eta subs from pual , you see that small gap between the crown & case ( later on i must learn a sinple tech to file down the inside of the crown guards in order for a proper fit ..

the new crown tube installed

114517-23108.jpg

i bought this used gen sub crown on ebay for $25 could not find a new one ..its slightly worn

114517-23110.jpg

now it was kinda easy but ! i have 2 concearns . 1 is that due to the slight gap between the crown & case the stem will be a bit short ( ill have to install the movement to find out ) .

2- when i removed the stem useing a 1.2mm screwdriver i heard a click :( i think thats indicating that the stem release button was sunk into the movement :( in not about that ima gonna need some help from you guys .. how can i tell if the stem release button was sunk into the movement ?

heres a pic of the movement

114517-23111.jpg

finally i installed the case back without the movement & placed the watch in about 2 feet of water for about 1 hour & came out bone dry :rolleyes: ..

i will keep you guys posted once i install the movement ( thats pending the out come of that dam stem release button on the eta 28xx series movements .

does any 1 know if eta made a special tool for the removal of the stem ? instead of useing a screwdriver ?

take care & be well every one ..

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :thumbsupsmileyanim: the keyless works was fine , the stem sliped right in :thumbsupsmileyanim: man i was scared ..

heres the the finished product :) not bad for my 1st sub mod .

i know the gap between the crown & case dont look 2 kosher but i can live with it :wub:

untill i gather enuff courage to tackle the trimming of the crown guards :unsure: ..

im just glad that i water proofed it pretty well , that 3m stuff is awsome ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx every one for there help .. :victory:

114554-23102.jpg

:wub:

114554-23103.jpg

i know the gap between the crown & case dont look 2 kosher but i can live with it :wub:

untill i gather enuff courage to tackle the trimming of the crown guards :unsure: ..

I think I would drill a little bit of a countersink into the side of the case where the crown tube goes, and reinstall the tube. The crown should then screw down flush to the case if I'm picturing it correctly.

Edited by chieftang

Good stuff, and usually not difficult to do :) Though, I must admit... The last two tubes I tried removing seemed to be more difficult than others in the past.

The gen crown/tube makes for a huge difference. A must-do mod in every watch, simply for function.

114633-23087.jpg

i thought backing out the crown tubes where going to be a pian in the [censored] , but i 1st heated the tube up with a hiar dryer & it came out fairly easy :rolleyes: .. that file works great too ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i did not have the extra $$$$$$ to spend on a rolex tube remover ..

I usually heat my tubes up with a heat gun... The tubes seemed almost like they were stripped.

hey UBI dont forget to put me down for 1 7mm gen rolex crown whenever you score another bunch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i have another eta sub that i bought of a member thats needs a lil tlc ..

i belive that this next sub will be easier to mod cause the crown guards are thinner than the one i did today ..

take care & be well .

Yeah ,

great work for the first time :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I see my tips work fine...

Looks very good to me...

The new Tube and crown looks much better and also the funktion is better,trust me...

And for the money it's a good deal.

Next step is to reshape the CG's to right dimensions.

I know you have the skill to do it.

RG Tribal

Edited by Tribal

Yeah ,

great work for the first time :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I see my tips work fine...

Looks very good to me...

The new Tube and crown looks much better and also the funktion is better,trust me...

And for the money it's a good deal.

Next step is to reshape the CG's to right dimensions.

I know you have the skill to do it.

RG Tribal

THANX TRIBAL you mod monsters are awsome ! :thumbsupsmileyanim: iv learned alot from you guys ! :victory:

When you pulled the rep tube out, that was the time to go to filing the crown guards down. Now you get to pull the gen tube out and do it. Guess you can heat up the glue and go for it. Your file should work fine on shaping the cg's, then I use 320, 400, 600 and 1000 wet/dry sandpaper and polishing compound to polish the cg's back to pretty. That Dremel is just too fast for me!

A 1.2mm screw in the slot will keep you from messing up the keyless works, and gently push down the button.

Chamfering the case tube hole will seat the tube in there a little more, but then you might need the 6mm tap to clean out the hole/threads. $39 at ofrei.com! But just tell your wife that it beats you being out in a honky-tonk, getting drunk!

Nice job!

Im glad the keyless works turned out not to be a problem for ya!

You will have no problems doing the crown guards yourself :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx bazz i will try later on dealing with the CG'S , now i have a small problem :o

i discovered that the watch stops about 2 times perday , last night it stoped when i took it off & layed it on my night table :( any idea on what the problem might be ?