When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Staking Tool Tips & Tricks

redwatch

Hi folks,

So some of you may have seen my thread a while ago about looking for a Staking Tool book called "The Watchmakers Staking Tool" by George G. Luccina & Archie B. Perkins. Well, thanks to some helpful members here, I managed to pick up a new re-print of the book for $33.00 shipped. For anyone who is thinking about entering the world of watch repair and or watch making, a Staking Tool Set is a MUST have. Along with the tool set, this book is a valuable addition to the hobbyist tool arsenal. It is very informative and helpful.

For the first set of tips & tricks, I will show you the two most important tools in the Staking Tool set.

DSC_0930-2.jpg

Shown in the picture above are two tools. The one on the left is called the Die Set Punch. This tool is NOT to be used as a regular punch! It is a very crucial punch and using it for anything other than its intended use is not recommended. The only use for this punch is to center up the different holes in the die plate when they are to be used for various staking jobs. This is a special precision ground punch and its only use is to center up the holes on the die plate.

Below are some photos of the Die Set Punch in use:

DSC_0933-2.jpg

DSC_0934-1.jpg

The second tool, pictured in the first picture on the right side is called a Punch Lifter (or Extractor). This device is used to remove punches from their holes in the Staking Tool box. Without this device, the punches would have to be removed from the box with the fingers. It is somewhat difficult to grasp a punch with the fingers for removal. Also, if punches are removed with the fingers, there is a danger of getting perspiration on the punches which could cause them to rust.

Below are some pictures of the Punch Lifter in use:

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0936.jpg

One last tip: when using the punches in a Staking Tool set, it is highly recommended that you use a brass hammer. If you try to use a steel one, you run the risk of deforming the punch making it difficult if not impossible to use accurately. The Staking Tool Set is arguably one of the most important tools you can purchase, and if handled with some care and consideration, you can enjoy years of use out of it!

More to come (as I learn more about them!!! :D )

Here's a pick of my Staking Tool Set that I purchased on eBay for $61.00

C478.jpg

C480.jpg

C487.jpg