When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Digital Watch for working out

plaifender

Hey guys, I work out about 4 days/week. I never wear reps to work out in, but I do like to have a digital watch especially if I run. My 10 year old Timex Atlantis watch battery died last week.. and rather than just get a replacement battery, I'm thinking I want a new digital. I've been looking at lots of digitals and this is what I'm looking at getting. Since its my birthday in 3 weeks.. i might ask the wife for this one:

Casio G-shock GW-7900b

GW-7900B-1DR-G-RESCUE-GSHOCK-CASIO-WATCH-BLACK.jpg

This watch really does it for me.. I LOVE the screws on the front and reverse digital display. The chunky look is really great too. Anyone have this watch or seen it in person. Any other models you'd suggest..???

It's a little more expensive ($150 from casio's website) than my 40buck timex.. but looks leauges ahead as far as features and quality are concerned.

man dont do it please dont go all digital on us black_eye.gif

@spooky: A couple guys at my gym wear their gen subs to work out and it completely IRKS me to see that. I especially like digital for running and keeping lap time etc. Don't worry as soon as the workout ends.. it's back on with the Blacksteel, Steelfish, DSSD or UPO.. (or whatever other watch I've decided for that day!)

Hi, I own this watch, well the jap built version, it's awesome.

If you can, get the built in the Japan rather than Thailand verson. You can tell by the model number and that its says on caseback where it's built. The jap built G's often appreciate in value, check WUS for all things gshock.

Here's a wrist shot on a 7.5in wrist.

jap-g.jpg

Regular g's are decptively smaller than they look in photography but this one is bigger than most G's. It's tough solar atomic which means no batteries ever! It is one of the most, if not the most accurate watch in the world. This is my most favourite ever g-shock.

G-shocks are near to impossible to kill. have a look at the tests on youtube, you'll be amazed!

Oh and you never have to set this one manually. Great choice!

Hi, I own this watch, well the jap built version, it's awesome.

If you can, get the built in the Japan rather than Thailand verson. You can tell by the model number and that its says on caseback where it's built. The jap built G's often appreciate in value, check WUS for all things gshock.

Here's a wrist shot on a 7.5in wrist.

jap-g.jpg

Regular g's are decptively smaller than they look in photography but this one is bigger than most G's. It's tough solar atomic which means no batteries ever! It is one of the most, if not the most accurate watch in the world. This is my most favourite ever g-shock.

G-shocks are near to impossible to kill. have a look at the tests on youtube, you'll be amazed!

Oh and you never have to set this one manually. Great choice!

That's really cool! I love the look.

@toadtorrent: yeah I had an ironman before the current Atlantis I have... both are similar. Sure it functions well.. but I'm thinking of going bigger but still rugged.. this watch just looks soo cool!

+1 on the Polar's.

They are all I use when working out....I'm an avid cyclist and they are consistent, have awesome workout features depending on what your concentration is, Ebay has some good deals if you are not tied to one particular model and you can find some great used models. If you track your HR or want lap time features, I would encourage a Polar. That G-shock is really cool looking though (for a casio) but if you want a feature rich watch that is made specifically for working out and/or running/biking/hiking etc....give the Polar a look.....If you decide to go that route, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help you find the best deal available on your top 2-3 choices.

Good luck and Happy "early" Birthday....

-Murph

+1 on the Polar's.

They are all I use when working out....I'm an avid cyclist and they are consistent, have awesome workout features depending on what your concentration is, Ebay has some good deals if you are not tied to one particular model and you can find some great used models. If you track your HR or want lap time features, I would encourage a Polar. That G-shock is really cool looking though (for a casio) but if you want a feature rich watch that is made specifically for working out and/or running/biking/hiking etc....give the Polar a look.....If you decide to go that route, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help you find the best deal available on your top 2-3 choices.

Good luck and Happy "early" Birthday....

-Murph

Any chunky polars out there?

Any chunky polars out there?

Not so much.....These are about as chunky as you can get. They are not the best looking watches, no doubt, but the function is great. Great running and cycling functions but they are really more of features over aesthetics.

RS800CX_PTE_km_front_240x298.jpgfa20m_front_240x298.jpgcs300_hr_km_front_240x198.jpg

There are some decent Suuntos that might be an interesting change.....

4135y6bixSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg416MO%2BJ1u2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41DDV3S9PGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51QD53H9VZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg6901-533582-d.jpg

and of course, the G-shocks, many chunky versions. I'm partial to the frogmans from a rugged digital look, but its more of a diver.

GW-225C-1-chunky-g-shock-divers-frogman-watch1.jpg

I like the Suunto for a balance of looks vs. function but that Casio you posted is pretty cool looking and you have a good track record with them so you know how they function and could appreciate the new style vs. what you have been wearing so that might be the best personal choice. I would probably choose a Suunto, but that's strictly personal, when I choose a digital, I want it to be b/c it offers something that a beautiful mechanical cant offer, like Hear Rate, speed tracking, GPS tracking, altimeter, downloadable data to your PC, etc... or else I would just choose a quartz diver of some sort. There are some pretty sick quartz divers out there if you go in that direction. You can beat em up and they tell perfect time. zero maintenance....

I'm thinking about this Seiko quartz diver myself as I've been looking for a couple of good reliable quartz reps to use to work out, hike, bike, etc.... This sucker is indestructible and is a big chunky watch...

But, I digress....

SNDA13P2_MED.jpgCaesarChronis.jpg