When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-lume of a gen Rollie

metaljesus

Hi folks. I've recently bought a used gen 16610. Its quite old, 19 years infact, and so has zero lume left. Rolex will only re-lume it with a full service. It has been recently serviced, but not by rolex, and is currently +/- 3 secs a day, so I dont feel like paying for a full Rolex service.

Does anyone know any avenues for having a gen re-lumed appart from the modders on here? I dont want to send it to the US (I'm in the UK) but I guess I'd be happy to send it to Domi.

For a tritium dial, I'd keep it original (i.e. no relume); that is, if you want the watch to retain it's actual value. If you want lume on your dial, I'd suggest that you purchase a genuine current model/service replacement lumi dial off of eBay; swap it out and save the original dial in a safe place. That way, if you ever sold the watch, you have the original parts to go with it (thus holding it's resale value).

An RSC would likely also swap out the dial for a service replacement anyways, but you would not receive your original dial in return from Rolex Service...

Thanks for the insightful reply Ubi. To be honest I hadnt even done any reading about the lume used by rolex. I had assumed its all superluminova, but thats only since 2000. Tritium was 1984-2000 and has a life span of about 12 years. Interesting.

I guess it makes sence to keep it original then.

Anyone around that would re-lume with tritium?

Luminova/SuperLuminova doesn't change color or age like tritium, nor does it degrade over time. So if you're looking for something that will maintain the same color/tone over it's lifetime, that would be the way to go.

Zig does a fantastic vintage tone that he mixes with SL to achieve a vintage look, but one that never ages and glows like a torch...

Most collectors would prefer original/untampered. Plus, tritium will tend to develop a nice patina with age and condition; this is preferred as well as it's viewed as character and vintage charm.

My vote goes to keeping the watch as-is.

Agreed... I was able to negotiate a few hundred off the asking price of one of the vintages watches I purchased last week as the original owner had the tritium hands swapped out with SL hands at a service last year.

When I got my 6536 it had REALLY nasty green lume glopped on the dial. I sent it to Ziggy for a much needed servicing, and asked if he could make the dial look original again. So here are some photos, "before" and "after". It can be done but there are very few people I would consider letting try.

Before

bond_sub2.jpg

After

bond_sub2.jpg

Closeup

4_sm.jpg

As for Gen tritium ... there are modders who purchase tritium EXIT (for office buildings) signs ... which are openly available, then grind them up and lume watches with the tritium sign powder.

As for the danger ... there is none. Tritium is so weakly radioactive that standing in the sun is much more harmful to you than wearing the watch.

@Nanuq:

You could have sent your gen Bond Sub to me for fixing. I have delicate hands and I would have fixed the dial marker with this:

greenGlueInstallation.jpg

:D

@Metaljesus: Don't make the mistake and touch the original dial. Enjoy that vintage patina!! Posting pics of that beauty isn't forbidden, either.