When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

sweeping quartz

Peter52

Hey there guys,

this is a question i'm thinking over a long time.

why aren't there any quartz watches with a sweeping second hand? As far as i understand this, an automatik movement makes around 8 beats per second, a quartz movement only one. so why isn't it possible to build a quartz movement with 28800 bph?

Seiko makes a whole range of quartz alarm chronographs that have a once per second tick on the normal small seconds, and a sweep on the big seconds hand when the chronograph is on. Just look for models with the "7T62" movement. There are also other brands that do the same, but they may use the same Seiko movement.

Cheers B)

Back in '83 Seiko released one of the first Quartz Chrono movements the 7A28.

While the running seconds @ 6 and main seconds chrono hand were 1 tick/sec., the chrono dial @ 3, was ticking at a very speedy 1/20 sec ! The movement had 15 jewels and separate coils and motors for each function. It could also be regulated in increments of .26sec/day using a simple rotary switch.

That was and still is one of the most sophisticated quartz movements made, and the RAF adapted these Seiko watches as their standard issue (with a few modifications).

Here is mine. One of my first chronos, and still one of my favs.

Seiko%207A28%20Yellow.jpg

Also the Seiko Spring Drive has a brilliant sweep of the seconds hand. It is a very odd hybrid, using an automatic wind system, and the battery controls a clutch mechanism to release the spring tension resulting in a fantastic sweep. I guess it's not really a quartz, but it's very cool technology and it does require a battery :D

Seiko makes a whole range of quartz alarm chronographs that have a once per second tick on the normal small seconds, and a sweep on the big seconds hand when the chronograph is on. Just look for models with the "7T62" movement. There are also other brands that do the same, but they may use the same Seiko movement.

Cheers B)

I think It's the Swiss ISA that has the smooth sweeping chrono hand. :g:

Ok I'll just pop in once more to say.....I thought he was asking about reps?

If not yeah there are some Seiko quartz with sweeping seconds, but as I stated above there has, from time to time, been replica quartz fitted with the step up that also sweep.

I know TTK sold a few but the best bet would be to ask a dealer about them and I have a hunch that Narikka should be the first on your list.

Ken

The only reason quartz movements have 1-per-second sweep is to save on battery. Quartz runs at much higher than 28.8k bph of course...! The vibrations of the crystal itself are what controls the watch.

You know what I think is ironic, is that mechanical watch movements with jumping second hands like a quartz were at one time sought after and expensive :)