When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The evolution of a watch collector

JoJo35

So, at this point, it's been more than a few years since I started this journey of collecting watches. For what it's worth, it all began way before I ever heard of RWG, let alone RWG1.

I guess I was about 17 or 18 yrs old when I took a trip over to NYC, and happened to stroll down 34th street in front of the Empire State Building. A guy outside the building had a briefcase full of watches, and he told me that he had "automatic" Rolex's. Wow, I thought, Rolex reps that weren't quartz and actually had a sweeping automatic movement!

I checked one out, and before you know it, I had my very own rep for thirty bucks :)

About fifteen years later (time does fly, doesn't it?), I found myself back in NYC, and wandering through lower Manhattan, eventually finding my way to South Street Seaport, and finally down to Battery Park. It was there that I saw a multitude of street "vendors" selling reps that ranged from Tags, to Rolex, to even Brietlings. This really sparked my interest, since at that point in my life I had already made some decent gen purchases, including a brand new original Movado Museum, and ceramic Rado's. The funny thing was, even though fifteen or more years had passed, the price still remained the same: about thirty bucks for a (greatly improved) rep.

So, with my interest piqued, I went home and attempted to find out a little more about these watches on the internet. It was then that I accidentally came across RWG1.

I joined up, and soon learned that there were actually people out there who knew quite a lot about these watches, and who made a hobby out of improving these "reps".

Over the past few years, this has certainly been a learning process. I went from china town reps, to a multitude of good quality reps from our dealers, to modded "MBW's", to fully modded frankens, and finally to where I am now. Although this learning process took years, it has brought me from not knowing the first thing about watches, to knowing just a bit more, and to finally becoming a strictly gen collector.

I certainly wouldn't have become so inspired if it weren't for the good friends I have made here at RWG. The Zigmeister, Kruzer, Ubi, dluddy, Justasgood, vlydog, Jetsons, and Stephan are just a handful of people who have helped me along the way.

Now, I'm at the point where I am considering some serious gens, and I'm thinking of selling all of my reps. I've already sold off most of my collection that was unmodified, and even one of my super reps. I've also listed a bunch of parts that I had been hoarding over the past few years in the for sale section, and now I'm thinking of selling the rest of my modded watches, all of which are very much ultimate replicas (for those of you who know me, and have seen these pieces, you know what I'm talking about).

One thing I have learned, and that's for sure, is that nothing beats making a watch as close as gen as possible!

I'd just like to express my most sincere gratitude to RWG, and to all of my friends I have met here who have helped me along the way.

Most Sincerely,

JJ

JJ,

that was a great story.

It's quite amazing how the reps lead to gens. I never thought I'd purchase many very expensive watches but reps are only a "gateway drug". Reps are absolutely perfect for a "test drive". If a watch has real long-term appeal and become a "grail", buy the gen... if you're just a "casual fan" of some model stick with the rep. That's my motto.

Even now, the reps haven't lost their appeal to me at all. If you think buying gens will end your appetite for reps, you're mistaken. In no time you're back buying and browsing for the latest releases. :D

I completely agree with By-tor, people who begin with reps in the world of watches usually love watches by what they are, no matter if they are reps or gen, you discover you apreciate watches in esence, and after that you discover you enjoy yourself in the journey of getting your holy grail rep... journey that never finishes...we are always in the way, but it is this way and the people I meet in what I really enjoy, needed almost five years and a lot of watches to discover

Nice of you to share your story B. Those places you mentioned are so vivid in some of our minds and certainly represent milestones when we reflect back on our own lives. It was a Canal street rep that sparked my interest in Panerai and my eventual discovery of RWG.

I am honored to be mentioned in a group of such esteemed members and feel proud to call you friend.

JoJo,

I really enjoyed that post. I am humbled and honored to have helped you in your pursuits. You have a great eye and unwavering attention to what you love.

I am proud to say "I knew JoJo when"

Hoping all your sales lead to your dreams.

Couldn't agree more K. it's been a pleasure to take the journey with you JoJo. I for one, have learned a lot about the Vintage Rolex line taking the ride with you thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's a fantastic read :) If you really want a particular gen, and it would be a truly satisfying purchase, then I would say yes, sell all your reps to get the funds :) But. I would ask this question first...

Would that rep (in flawless condition out of the box which would require no modification) be as emotionally satisfying, as the reps which you sought the parts for?

Sure, a gen (or rep) as a gift will always have the sentimental value of being a gift from that person, but a self-purchased gen would only ever be that. I would just say consider if looking at the gen might make you miss the modded reps you sold to buy it, more than you appreciate the gen itself... :)