When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing and Installing watch hands mark free

for all the builders/modders out there

Im curious if there is actually anyway to remove and install watch hands without marking them even faintly?

In my experience just looking at shiny watch hands marks them, even if it is a superficial hairline scratch thats practically invisible.

and if you have to remove them the tool used to do so has sharp metal jaws and a metal plunger. ive avoided marking most through experience and applying electrical tape over sharp metal parts that make contact or pressure with the hands, but i still cant install or remove hands 100% mark free, more like 95%.

does anyone have any suggestions they'd like to share or experiences?

just wondering if it's mostly me.

if seen videos of a ROLEX-smith using tweezers, it looks like he just touches the second hand to the pinnion and its on ticking away. incredible.

I use Radico

I use a presto begeon hand puller with a thin filn of clear polythene over the hands, that way the hands lift of together and they are not touched by the tools

+1, I do the same with a piece of clear plastic wrap. I also only use fresh Rodico to move the hands into position for setting.

I use the same hand pullers and a loupe so you get a precise view of what you are doing. When resetting only use a very, very smal amount of rodico on the end of the hand setter and just take as long as you need and you will get the knack of it. Sorry no pics at the moment.