When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOSF - pvd?!.......hmmmmm....

hackR

ok...many know i like to have some fun with my Breitlings...as andreww so eloquently stated, "my Avenger collection looks like it was built the day after the Breitling Christmas Party"... :drunk:

soooooo...i'm currently transfixed on a possible SOSF black dial aftermarket pvd piece...hmmmmmm...sounds delicious...and thinking this could be the ideal piece to not only do the watch head, but go the distance and have the bracelet done, too...

has anyone done this?...

Serious talent there by-tor. How may layers did it take to achieve this

No layers needed my friend. It took me about 60 seconds to do with the lasso tool (+ contrast/brightness/color balance). :)

Guest avitt

I haven't coated a fish yet, but I have coated a couple of Skylands, as well as several bracelets.

Some of the problems that you will have: The bezel can be extremely difficult to remove. The bezel screws are not really screws, and tend to fall out when coated at high heat. And the pearl must be removed and later recreated.

So it's difficult, but it can be done.

ah -- thanks guys!...

@BT --> can you photoshop a white dial SOSF with pvd coating?...from viewing your first pix above, i'm now thinking a white dial might be a nice contrast with the pencil lead look...thoughts/comments appreciated...

@avitt --> thanks - i was exploring this in this post before i sent you a pm -- as i have not seen anyone do this with a SOSF...and afterall, in the Avenger series, we already have a repped Blacksteel - albeit not as good as yours!...so the waters are ripe for a BlackFish...i'll pm you on this...

i know that the Skyland bezels are an absolute bear to wrestle off - unless you have the right removal tool - like avitt has!...but i can't recall the SOSF bezel being the same in difficulty...i'll need to research that...i have an asian fish case that is the same as the high-end 'ultimate' swiss case -- and can spare it...so i might consider this a project of sorts...i still have my other SOSF - so i can spare this one...

does anyone know if the pearl can be removed with heat and/or some other method by prying it off?...it look to be applied on top of the bezel marker when viewed thru a loop...

R-

ah -- thanks guys!...

@BT --> can you photoshop a white dial SOSF with pvd coating?...from viewing your first pix above, i'm now thinking a white dial might be a nice contrast with the pencil lead look...thoughts/comments appreciated...

Sure. I found this gen wristie and mocked it up.

23mvsd1.jpg

i see to remember someone saying the screws (like the watch) are fake and the bezel is a bu**er to get off

thanks spook...this i know of the Skyland, for sure...but can't seem to find or recall definitively this is true of the Steelfish... :g:

Guest avitt

The bezels of the Steelfish (Swiss and Asian) are at least as difficult to remove at the Skyland. I completely tacoed am Asia bezel trying to remove it. Tried again on a Swiss model, but quite earlier, as it wouldn't budge.

And no, the bezel screws are not functional on any of these models. (On the gen, removing the screws at the riders will back the spring to away from the case, allowing the bezel to be removed.)

Guest avitt

Not on the SOSF I had. I lost a screw and replaced it with a spare. It was in fact a screw and not a plug with a screw head.

They are screws, but they're short, and non-functional.