When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best place to buy a Gen 1680?

HEWLIO

I am having trouble finding a good place to buy a Gen 1680. I have found one place near me that has one 1680 in stock. Are there any sites that are really really trustworthy to buy used and vintage gens from? Also do you guys know of any other options besides a 1680 i could get? I want either a sub or a sea dweller. its gatta be vintage like before the silver dial markers, and i have about 5k to spend. Thanks

Where are you located? Are you looking for a physical store? I know a few great ones in Boston, Massachusetts and Greenwich/Stamford, Connecticut USA...

Im in upstate NY and Boston is about the same distance from me as the only "local" store that has one. Do they have an online store with pictures of their pieces?

Been there, done that. I would recommend that you research the watches that fit into your budget first. After that, try to pick an exact watch you're looking for. Let's take the 1680 as an example: for 5k the red dials are definitely out, but even considering the white dials, which Mk white dial are you interested in? What serial range? bracelet/head combo? insert, crown/tube, crystal, service history, provenance?

If the answers to the previous questions didn't immediately pop into your head, you'll need to do lots more research.

Good luck with your search!

JJ

Been there, done that. I would recommend that you research the watches that fit into your budget first. After that, try to pick an exact watch you're looking for. Let's take the 1680 as an example: for 5k the red dials are definitely out, but even considering the white dials, which Mk white dial are you interested in? What serial range? bracelet/head combo? insert, crown/tube, crystal, service history, provenance?

If the answers to the previous questions didn't immediately pop into your head, you'll need to do lots more research.

Good luck with your search!

JJ

Well some of those i have no clue about. But yes defiantly the all white dial, I know I would like it to have a Box with Papers, I want a regular bracelet with a Flip lock clasp not the single flip shorter one (ive seen a few out there). But I am looking at what is available, there are not that many options. If I cannot find anything closer, friday maybe I am going to take a ride to a shop that has one in stock just outside NYC, See if i can get it cheaper than the asking price.

for 5k the red dials are definitely out

That is definitely true. Not 5-6 years ago but now. The red dials have skyrocketed. I've seen some in really bad condition selling for $7K.

Madness.

Well I have decided to take a trip to boston on Friday. I hear there is a street or something of the sort that has a bunch of stores on Washington Street that sell used Rolex's. Hopefully I will beable to find a 1680 or another 70's model in my price range. Does anyone know if those stores have websites that show their stock? Thanks

Edited by HEWLIO

go to both VRF and TZ and search for 1680; plenty of nice 1680s out there to be had. and if you're serious about getting a 1680 with box and papers, you're going to be hard pressed to find one for less than $5k (you'll probably need to pay closer to $6k to get one in decent condition with box and papers).

if you're relatively new to vintage rolex, as jojo outlined in his response, there is a lot to consider before purchasing one of these watches. in addition to all the questions jojo raised, there is the bigger picture question of whether the various parts on a particular watch are the correct parts for the watch given its serial range, something most people new to vintage rolex will have a very hard time doing (heck even some of the most experienced vets get things wrong on this front). anyways, i guess my point is this: if you aren't familiar with any of the items jojo mentioned in his list, you would be well served to ask some additional questions about them before even thinking about buying a vintage rolex.

good luck with your search; feel free to ask more questions here -- i think you'll be pleased with people's willingness to help ;)

all the best :victory:

deltatahoe

HEWLIO,

I would take JoJo's advice and do some research before you spend your hard earned money. There are a lot of pitfalls with buying vintage watches. It's not like buying a new sub from and AD. That one is going to be just like it's thousands of brothers within that serial and date range. With the older watches, years have passed and lots of things can and have been done to these watches. Some things good, some bad, some correct others not. Just to give you and example. Over the years, lots of aftermarket parts have been manufactured for Rolex watches. What you are going to have to know, is the bezel insert genuine or aftermarket, if genuine is it correct for this watch. same with the crown, crystal, even dials have been changed. Watches are out there that are a mixture of parts. Remember when these watches were manufactured, probably most were sold to folks who weren't Rolex collectors or even cared.When the watch broke, they took it to their local watchmaker who may have substituted aftermarket parts, because they were cheaper and/or they were available.Even Rolex Service Centers were guilty of replacing dials, hands, bezels, etc. when watches were sent in for service. Back then, when a person sent a watch in for the most part they were thrilled to death to get back a "like new" watch. What they had no way of knowing was replacing a correct genuine Tritium dial and hands with Luminova service dials and hands, created that "like new" watch, but it destroyed the integrity of the watch. It was no longer an original. Now if your just looking for a 1680 to wear every day and none of this matters, then you don't need to know the nuances of the watch. However if you are looking for one that is as good as you can get for your money, it would be wise to know the differences.

Another thing that matters is service. When was the watch serviced last? getting a complete service on one of these watches is expensive, and only a few watchmakers are really good and have access to the older parts to service these watches. I saw and interesting thread on the Rolex Forum, Vintage Rolex Sub forum recently talking about recommendations for servicing a vintage Submariner. The consensus was only a handful of watchmakers that the majority of members would use, and if you looked at the prices, they were Expensive! Getting the watches service history would be nice as well, but probably most in the price range your looking at may have a service receipt, but not a complete provenience or paperwork.

What you should remember is you are looking at a watch that is at least 24 years and possibly over 40 years old. Parts are very expensive, to get and idea, you should visit some of the marketplaces for vintage Rolex such as the Vintage Rolex Marketplace. If you buy one that has a lot of wear, it could end up costing you a lot more than the 5k you budgeted for your watch, to get it into nice condition. At the very least, the dealer you buy from should give you some warranty as well as a reasonable return option should you discover problems with the watch, or it turns out to not be what it was described to be.These are wonderful watches and a well cared for one will give you years of service, just make sure you do your due diligence, and if the deal doesn't feel right, walk away. There will always be another one around the next bend in the road.

Good Luck