When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Ranger Oysterdate - Warning Homemade Dial Again!

Slartibartfast

Cool! I recently tried a blue Tudor Sub dial from Yuki, but its so fragile, you only need to glance at the time and all the paint falls off :black_eye:

Each time the dial and movement are removed, it leaves a ring of blue where the dial was touching the case! Fortunately it's the same shade of blue as Humbrol matt blue emamel paint. In contrast, the MBW dials are absolutely =@ proof.

I'm thinking of getting another Yuki, and this time applying a few coats of matt varnish. :g:

my yuki dial is very fragile i dropped my watch and it landed on the crown this caused the dial to chip along the edge about 1mm from 12 to 5 oclock this was mostly due to the sharp rehaunt, i was lucky that most of the chip was under the rehaunt and i found a match to the gloss black from one of my daughters nail varnish set! i dont think that this dial had any kind of etching primer applied, and the finish was applied direct, so i suggest anyone who has a refinished dial the do some sanding on the rehaunt to take away the sharpness, i would suggest applying a little drop of silicon sealer the (clear type) to the watch case and rehaunt lip, where dial edge sits and rests under the rehaunt, let it dry then fit the dial this should act as a shock aborber and offer some protection .

Edited by aeromatic

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Love this idea/concept. More! More!

Lets see a 6538 Dial. :D

Sounds great to me if we can get some clear dial scans then down sizing an oversized clear photo of a dial should give a clear print mabe a clear photo of a gen dial? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great work!

Hey, you really should try making a 1680 red Sub dial. I've never seen a good rep/aftermarket dial. It would be really interesting to see the results.

http://images.antiquorum.com/212/full/358.jpg

http://images.antiquorum.com/213/full/357.jpg

I might have a go at re-creating the Single Red Sub dial.

Takes a while though, so I'll check back in with an update in a coup;le of weeks or so.

Watch this space. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I might have a go at re-creating the Single Red Sub dial.

Takes a while though, so I'll check back in with an update in a coup;le of weeks or so.

Watch this space. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

From the results I got blanking the text to create the 6200 dial, I definitely think that applying red to the corresponding white area of the backing transfer is the way to go to get the lettering to show as red :) It won't be raised, of course, but it'll certainly look the business :tu:

my yuki dial is very fragile i dropped my watch and it landed on the crown this caused the dial to chip along the edge about 1mm from 12 to 5 oclock this was mostly due to the sharp rehaunt, i was lucky that most of the chip was under the rehaunt and i found a match to the gloss black from one of my daughters nail varnish set! i dont think that this dial had any kind of etching primer applied, and the finish was applied direct, so i suggest anyone who has a refinished dial the do some sanding on the rehaunt to take away the sharpness, i would suggest applying a little drop of silicon sealer the (clear type) to the watch case and rehaunt lip, where dial edge sits and rests under the rehaunt, let it dry then fit the dial this should act as a shock aborber and offer some protection .

Is your yuki dial a blue one too? I'm wondering if the black dials from Yuki hold up better.

Its not uncommon for one color to be stronger than another. The gen blue Tudor dials are supposed to hold up better than black, and I remember that the white blanks from ofrei were tougher than the black ones..

Is your yuki dial a blue one too? I'm wondering if the black dials from Yuki hold up better.

Its not uncommon for one color to be stronger than another. The gen blue Tudor dials are supposed to hold up better than black, and I remember that the white blanks from ofrei were tougher than the black ones..

Its a black dial! they are great dials just fragile! i would sand down the rehaunt edges a bit to take away the sharpness i think they will hold up ok its just that i dropped my watch and the shock chipped the dial where it seats on the rehaunt!

as a member suggested a coat of varnish might help harden the surface has any member done this?

I have used mat spray to refinish dials in the past and it does add to the durability, but if the paint does not stick well to the dial surface then that will always be a problem, the varnish will help but wont solve the underlying problem.

I have used mat spray to refinish dials in the past and it does add to the durability, but if the paint does not stick well to the dial surface then that will always be a problem, the varnish will help but wont solve the underlying problem.

Hi fxrAndy

I Agree with you on that i found these dials more fragile than the factory dials the parts of the dial that chipped came off clean i mean all that was left was the silver metal finish like i said a little work sanding the rehaunts sharp edges might help prevent this, it would be helpful to know the materials used in the yuki dials one thing i do know the yuki dials ,bezels are made using different materials than the factory ones mabe to give an aged look to the items the bezel inset on yuki looks more like the finnish you would expect on a vintage gen my 6538 insert has a blueish tint to it,it doent look like the factory finished bezel the yuki bezel insert and dial do give a vintage look without the need to vintage them yourself. in fact this vintage look was all that was needed i left the new yuki case to age naturally !

Edited by aeromatic