When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 EXII on the bay

stilty

Not my expertise, either... so I can't name anything specific.

But the dial looks sloppy to me (overall). Dial Coronet is non-symmetrical.

PS: Added a direct link to the auction. You can shorten the long Ebay links with Tinyurl.com.

Well, it was something that I would never have picked up on, until I began researching the movement.

The 1575 GMT movement is a non adjustable movement. The 24h hand follows the hour hand.

Note that the watch is set at 2:38. The orange hand should either be just past 2 or 14 on the bezel. This one, the orange hand, is just past 16 which would mean 4pm. The hand is off by 2 hours.

And yes chief, the date mag is way off, not to mention the bracelet endlinks.

Wow... didn't know that the 24 hour hand on the 1575 is non-adjustable...

Yes, the original ExpII is probably the most pretentious "tool watch" ever done. Designed for "cave dwellers who can instantly tell from their ExpII whether it's night or day."

Technically it's the same as 1675 (which doesn't have adjustable 24h hand, either). You can use 1675 as a second timezone watch from the turning bezel. This (of course) doesn't work with ExpII which has a fixed bezel.

Actually even the Chinese faux GMT movement is more complicated.

I'm bad with numbers but I recall they're the same movement. They just installed a GMT hand to the ExpII and GMT Master. Like I said the old Rolex "GMT" movement is not a complication or a "GMT movement" at all, they just have another fixed hour hand that rotates 2x slower.

Rotating bezel made old GMT Master a GMT watch. Old ExpII is not a GMT watch at all. The only purpose was to show if it's night or day. Only useful for the "cave dwellers" because they can't look out of the window. :D

I'm confused. I don't know that much about Rolex movements at all, but the auction says 1575 movement and yet the picture clearly shows a 1570 movement? Was this a common thing? Is the 1570 just "turned" into a 1575?

"5" denotes a date... most 15xx series movements actually say 1560 or 1570 even if they are 1565 or 1575 (and some are marked accordingly) - Rolex just used generic 15xx movement bridges for those...very common on older watches.

Well, I can remember being stationed in Fairbanks, AK, and in the winter if you didn't get outside for lunch you didn't see any daylight for quite a while...

Well, I can remember being stationed in Fairbanks, AK, and in the winter if you didn't get outside for lunch you didn't see any daylight for quite a while...

I was thinking the same thing about Iceland. 24hrs of daylight during the summer. At least you wouldn't have to worry about your lume.

+1 on the frog coronet- read about those dials a couple of months back on VRF.

If the GMT hand is off, I would think it would just be a matter of resetting it.

Weak date mag could be the crystal, or if rolex serviced it they could have put a new date wheel in there- they could give a hoot about date mag, IMO. I replaced the DW in my 16800 gen beater- found a NOS DW- improved date mag 100%. Rolex had serviced the watch around 98-99- gloss tritium dial (which still glows well), new DW and new clasp (with lines thru the fliplock). Replacement DW's have closed 6's and 9's and round top 3's, typically!