When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Gen Rolex in 35 Years and It is 45 Years Old

Watchmeister

Yes I am the lucky winner of the recent offering by Ray0244 a long time member of the forum. The watch was offered and sold on Saturday and I had it by noon today. :thumbsupsmileyanim: As the title states it is my first gen Rolex in 35 years. And this one is a beauty. The owner bought it new in 1966 and it has never been touched since. Apologies for the pics as I grabbed my camera phone but you get the gist. This one is a lifetime keeper for me.

Insert and Dial are in pristeen condition. The crystal adds character.

DSCN1527.jpg

Loving that no dot crown. The crown and case tube have all their threads intact

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

Chamfered case edges

DSCN1516.jpg

Complete with stunning bracelet which will be rebuilt:

DSCN1523.jpg

A huge thanks to Ray0244 for the wonderful offering. This is one watch which will never get near a Rolex service center or polishing cloth. And what a wonderful way to re-enter the gen Rolex world.

So you were the lucky buyer on that one!!! Congrats!! That was one heck of a deal and it's a beautiful 5512! I am super happy to hear that you will NOT be taking it to an RSC or attempting to make it look pretty :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Are you going to take a look at the inside? I would love to see how the movement is looking after all these years!

Stunning!

I wouldn't touch anything, either. Vintage Rolex with a lot of wear is exactly like it should be... well worn.

Congrats for the legendary watch!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Luck over skill on this one. The minute I got this one I checked in with Ubi and Nanuq and they confirmed what I hoped. Original from buyer is rare and leave this one as is. I have to admit I am falling in love all over again. We won't tell the wife. :lol:

Phenominal... That's the only way I can describe your luck! You are always in the right place at exactly the right time!

I'm psyched about your acquisition! That is one hell of a score you lucky duck!

:)

I knew you would eventually come upon this thread. And lucky duck is the appropriate term. :lol: Of course it doesn't hurt to have smart friends who provide solid advice in areas where one knows little. ;)

Ahhhhhh, what a catch! That is a MAGNIFICENT piece. I don't know if I've ever seen an untouched gen that old, and that complete. Do you know how rare that crown is? And that's just touching the surface! :shock:

It's been great talking to you about this beauty. Ziggy will do it proud, and when you get it back, just enjoy your good fortune.

For the love of all that's holy, an all original METERS-FIRST 5512?! Deal of the year! :tu:

I do feel incredibly lucky. And big thanks to Ubi and Nanuq who always answer my silly questions. I knew I wanted this piece the moment I saw it but I can't say I knew just how fabulous it is until they clued me in. And most importantly, big thanks to Ray0244 for offering up this beauty from his collection. Having collected the "other brand" in gen form for a number of years this is a fabulous way to reintroduce myself to the original Swiss brand. :)