When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Breitling two-tone watches not using solid gold?

By-Tor

Wow. This is interesting. I really thought they were solid gold links. They even show the gold pieces being melted in the chronolog. What a bummer...no different thant the TT rep you get nowadays. Now if the rep factories could just make those sunken datewheel fixed...hmmmmm....

Yeah I find that really surprising, in a negative way.

With their pricing they should definitely be solid.

What next? We'll find out that they're actually using Asian ETAs? :D

What next? We'll find out that they're actually using Asian ETAs? :D

Yes its true they use at least 49% Asian made parts on their movements :pardon:

The Croc straps are printed leather, too - you would think they could chuck in a genuine Croc strap for those $$$$

How do you figure and who feed you this line of BS? Guess Breitling is just false advertising with "Croco" stamped in the back of their straps… Have you ever had a Gen Breilting Leather or Croco band? The two could not feel or act more different when examined side by side. They also wear different. The croco is much stiffer of a hide and takes some time to wear in and conforms to your wrist. I generally have to replace a Breitling leather strap every 2-3 years du to wear. I am yet to replace one of my Croco straps and I wear them more then the leather.

The pricing difference between the SS and TT is less then $1000 on most models, so what would be a fair price increase for steel wrapped in gold? For a full gold model you step up into the $35K price range for a BCE. Understand too that if the pieces were solid gold, you could wear the watch for about 6 months before it fell off your wrist because the SS link would wear into and destroy the gold link, as gold is so soft.

yup...my 2002 Aerospace ti/gold has gold accents that are 20 micron 18k gold...

since 18k is soft - you need to be careful to not scuff it off...which definitely happens over time...

the real question is: does Breitling do anything to scuffed gold accents when they service the watch...i've not had mine in for service yet...

yup...my 2002 Aerospace ti/gold has gold accents that are 20 micron 18k gold...

since 18k is soft - you need to be careful to not scuff it off...which definitely happens over time...

the real question is: does Breitling do anything to scuffed gold accents when they service the watch...i've not had mine in for service yet...

They should give you the option to have them replaced at cost to you. Can get price though. Had a Windrider with come nast corrosion in the links from the pins...cost me $300 to have to cleaned up and looking like new.

It gets worse than that i service a gen tag to tone the other week and i was supprised to find a plastic movement spacer! just like you would find on a cheep rep and this was gen!

That is ridiculous! What model was it out of curiosity? :thumbdown:

@Big Mike - the price difference varies. Based on what I have seen in AD locally, the price is difference is about 3k - which again made me think that it is solid. A difference of 1K would certainly suggest that it may not all be solid. Anyway, solid gold is definitely out of my range...gotta stay SS :)

yes its sad.. i had a two tone chronomat evo and the gold was worn off one side of the crown. i was shocked to say the least and thought it was an aftermarket crown but it wasnt... black_eye.gif

@Big Mike - the price difference varies. Based on what I have seen in AD locally, the price is difference is about 3k - which again made me think that it is solid. A difference of 1K would certainly suggest that it may not all be solid. Anyway, solid gold is definitely out of my range...gotta stay SS :)

When you start seeing a $2K to $3K price variance in the TT models from the SS, you are also getting diamonds, MOP dials or Gold Sub Dials. I just got my 2010 Price guide and comparing base SS to base TT, you are only looking at $1K in price difference.

Oh come on...what not go solid gold? :whistling: Back in the fall, a AD near me was closing their doors and had a solid gold, MOP, full diamond bezel and bracelet marked down form $85K to $50K. Some yound kid bought it. It was the ugliest Ling I have ever seen!