When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps are getting common...

DemonSlayer

I had an appointment this afternoon with a ENT consultant at a hospital in London. While I'm in the waiting room, I notice a guy, probably in his late 60's wearing what was either a really bad Black Daytona rep or a homage. He was a few seats away from me so I couldn't get a really good look at the dial, but the crownguards were nothing like the genuine, they were curved in and looked totally off.

After about half an hour, I get called into the consultants room. He was very sharply dressed, looked like a banker/city trader. I notice his watch, he's wearing a nice Montblanc Timewalker Chrono silver dial on a nice chocolate brown strap. This had to be gen I thought, guy is reasonably well paid, he looked like he was in his mid to late 50's, he could most certainly afford the real thing.

Luckily this time I had a chance to get a real good look at the watch face, and I noticed the large center seconds hand was sweeping smoothly, so I assumed he must have his chronograph running. However upon observing closely at the subdials, none of them were ticking! :shock: I was going to comment "nice watch, thats a Montblanc Timewalker I see, I am into watches too," (I was wearing my rep Skyland) but then upon seeing it was definitely a rep, I decided no to :( I'm regretting it now actually as he might have been an open rep collector and we could have had a short discussion about reps.

He then gives me a letter to give back to the receptionist, so I'm now waiting in the queue. Theres a guy standing next to me, a couple of feet away. He looked to be in his late 20's, was dressed like a "gangsta", "bad boy" "badman" (you get the picture :p)I then noticed he was wearing a nice looking watch, I noticed the Rolex coronet on the clasp! He turns his wrist, I then got a chance to look at the dial, and lo and behold, it was a white gold Rolex Daytona 'Black Widow':

rolex_cosmograph_daytona-288x300.jpg

Now I didn't get a really good look at the dial, and even if I did I don't think I would have had the knowledge to spot it as a rep (if it was one). However I realise this is quite controversial, but it really didn't seem like he could afford the genuine watch (the gen retails for $20K plus?). This was based on a number of things, his age, how he was dressed and just his general demeanour. However I assumed the rep MB Timewalker was a gen as worn by the consultant, due to his salary and the way he was dressed.

All in all, this is a record for me. I have never before spotted what I believe to be 3 reps (4 if you include mine) ;), in the same building, in the same room and at practically the same time! It was either total coincidence or reps are becoming common.

After spending a decent amount of time on this board and reading through many of the gen vs rep articles, I am now seeing a ton of reps around, mostly notice them on the subway when there's nothing else to look at (hot women) and look at the watches people have on. :)

M.

Must be different there in the States. 90% of the nice watches that I see in Europe (at least here in Scandinavia) are gens. I've never seen anyone wearing a high end rep. At least I haven't spotted one from anyone's wrist.

My friends and I often spot nice watches in the wild on customers wrists, most of us work in retail so you see a lot of people. I ve seen a rubberclad AP on a guy who looked scruffy but had just bought a very expensive tv but drove a shed. Another cool older guy had a track suit on, showed me his rep submariner when I commented on it then asked if it was real. I told him why I thought it was blag, he then produced the real one from his pocket and asked me if that was real. He was a nice guy and we talked a little about the watches in general, just shows it takes all sorts. One friend works checkout at a food store he has a rep speedy pro, if he see's people clock it they usually show him the watch they have on. He s had rose gold offshores and high calibre omegas. Really different stuff around, you would expect liverpool to be full of replicas ? But the only ones I see are my friends and mine, mostly normal brand watches here or the real deal.

Almost everyone who hangs out on the rep boards goes through this. They think almost everyone is wearing a rep. The fullblown affliction is called 'Repladentity Syndrome'. They spot reps in AD cases. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

ain't that the truth ?

but fWiW i saw a box boy @ the grocery store wearing a Pam so maybe not

I ran into some tasteless spiv last night while out with my father in law, and the subject of watches came up. He was flashing some gaudy gold and diamond Ingersol Breitling-wannabe watch, I explained what my 79190 was, and all he kept asking, was "How much...?" even after I explained how much Tudors tend to go for... Some people just have no class <_<:thumbdown: