When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ploprof in 10 days!

prdubis

I don't think minor differences are enough to keep factories safe from litigation from big gen coporations and companies. I do think the CN government keeps the factories safe, however. I believe that there would be enough compelling evidence of copyright infringment present with replicas featuring far less similarities than the reps we have access to. For some instances, even just using the name on a dial is sufficient.

Rather, the issue with flaws (in my opinion) isn't so much with certain details being executed in an incorrect manner on purpose, but rather is the inherent result of how the factories just operate when assembling such things. Typically, the parts are all from different suppliers; the factories aggregate these supplies and assemble as parts are available. So, this is why there are variations. When one batch of parts run out, they are restocked, and sometimes not always with the same parts as used prior. Also, one must factor in different factories putting these watches together as well.

In the case of 7753 based anything- I believe those were phased out due to short supply of that particular movement. There's not a lot of them in circulation in relation to other more common movements. As a result, those movements tend to be priced higher when available, thus making those watches less cost efficient to produce.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I considered this but came to the conclusion that I doubt it. The main reason is that the Chinese do not make money off of the original company. Plus a lot of Swiss manufacturers charge the consumer a lot more money than it costs to manufacture the watch. There's even more reason to compete with the gen. Look at the price difference between a preowned rollie and a brand new one and you'll see what I mean. Often times it can cost half as much money to buy a preowned. The flaws I believe are there because they used their own tooling to manufacture these and did not get it exact.

And on the other hand, why do we keep having happy feet? Completely baffles me but in the 42mm PO thread, a guy showed that there were Omega reps made in the past with flat feet.

Come to seeing how close you can match a rep to a gen, take a Breitling SOSF for example. It is nearly spot on. The flaws are very minor in this watch. Plus there's various rollies with very minute flaws such as the Explorer I and Datejust II.

Well this is just the first version of the ploprof. Who knows if they will make any changes or not. I remember when I used to follow the 42mm PO and got so interested in it that by the time I bought it, they quit making them. They continually updated the watch and the dealers told me that the watchmaker got bored with it. If it had continued, they were listening to us apparantly through the dealers..and we would have had the flat feet fixed next I believe as well as possibly a better pearl at the very least. I still need to size that watch..

Shame about the flaws.

Has anyone ever considered the idea that the flaws in the reps are there on purpose. Not so you by the next 3-5 variations but to keeps the Gen companies off the factories backs?

Think about it, if a rep was perfect there would be absolutely no reason to buy a gen (unless money was no object and it's purely for fashion) and the watch companies would probably put much more pressure on authorities to crack down on the rep factories.

Every now and then a true gem is released from the factories so we know what they are capable of creating. Is it just a coincidence that some super reps seem to dissapear from the traders? Cartier santos chrono with 7753? Breitilng soh v2? Why release an ultimate omega po and put the wrong logo on the dial? it wasn't a problem on previous versions.

I think that maybe these flaws keep the gen compaines complaining too much. We all sit at our computers wondering why nearly ever rep has flaws....Just a theory.

Edited by amptor