When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ploprof in 10 days!

prdubis

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Precisely, it is a tool watch, but, I think one which could only be worn whilst working as an industrial diver, not on dry land. I'd always considered the DSSD to be a similar kind of 'work only' watch, but some of the wristshots are changing my mind about that, but I'm not sure if the Ploprof could make that same transition... :pardon:

I think we will get used to it, exactly like you say we did with the DSSD. Especially if it makes an appearence in the next 007. Look at all the Panerais: they've come a long way from the depths of the Mediterranean sea.

My only concern is that there are way too many things that are uncharted territory for the rep makers: the sapphire bezel and the locking system are nothing like anything found in other watches they 've done in the past. The DSSD is an evolutionary watch, where as the PloProf is a breakthrough one. Crossing fingers, and hope I will be proven wrong.

I think we will get used to it, exactly like you say we did with the DSSD. Especially if it makes an appearence in the next 007. Look at all the Panerais: they've come a long way from the depths of the Mediterranean sea.

My only concern is that there are way too many things that are uncharted territory for the rep makers: the sapphire bezel and the locking system are nothing like anything found in other watches they 've done in the past. The DSSD is an evolutionary watch, where as the PloProf is a breakthrough one. Crossing fingers, and hope I will be proven wrong.

If it was simply an oversized case, I would agree, but I think the Ploprof is too angular to be considered anything other than a tool watch (for tool use only). That's not to say that it's not without its merits or appeals, but I think it's going to be a very niche market for sales (and more so for actual wrist time) compared to other dive watches which have made the transition to daily wear :) Here's looking forward to seeing how well it's replicated :drinks::victory:

To be honest, I have little interest in wearing the PloProf, be it the reissue or the original. However, I do appreciate it for its significance in Omega history, and I would gladly pay a few hundred dollars for a good rep, even if it's just something I end up looking at every now and then.

Personally, I wish they'd take another crack at the old Seamaster 300!

If it was simply an oversized case, I would agree, but I think the Ploprof is too angular to be considered anything other than a tool watch (for tool use only). That's not to say that it's not without its merits or appeals, but I think it's going to be a very niche market for sales (and more so for actual wrist time) compared to other dive watches which have made the transition to daily wear :) Here's looking forward to seeing how well it's replicated :drinks::victory:

"tool watch (for tool use only)"

I am sure many tools will be wearing one. :)

There is nothing I hate more in the world of watches when people start using the expression ""tool watch"" to describe high end watches.

Drives me crazy!!

I like the watch. Its a very expensive fashion accessory though for 99.9 percent of its buyers. Not a "tool watch".

"tool watch (for tool use only)"

I am sure many tools will be wearing one. :)

There is nothing I hate more in the world of watches when people start using the expression ""tool watch"" to describe high end watches.

Drives me crazy!!

I like the watch. Its a very expensive fashion accessory though for 99.9 percent of its buyers. Not a "tool watch".

I was thinking entirely the reverse, I find it frustrating when people consider diver's watches to be high end fashion watches. In terms of history and design, these watches were designed and built to be worn by divers while diving, not luxury fashion items. Sure, they might be fashionable, but that is not what they were originally designed or built for... Rolex has a lot to answer for in terms of whoring the GMT into an icedout pimp's watch (and most of their lines similarly) and making people think that these were built as high end fashion watches. They were not... The very nickname 'Ploprof' is testimony to its history as a professional diver's watch... :whistling:

I think the term tool watch is correct for the watch in question, and it is more than capable of being used as one, the fact that most will never see water is the issue of the buyer not the company who produces it.

I think the term tool watch is correct for the watch in question, and it is more than capable of being used as one, the fact that most will never see water is the issue of the buyer not the company who produces it.

+1

Well, I think this is by far, the best looking thing Omega has ever released (I actually don't own any Omega, rep or gen). It's definitely a man's watch, there's no mistaking it. It's like wearing a tonka toy on your wrist. Oddly, they have this watch on display at the jewelers near where I work and I've shown this watch to a few women and my buddy in the military and they all thing it's a bit of a joke. Well, I still love it. :p

I agree that It's a mans watch, man oh man Is that one ugly mudder fudrucker ;)

I agree that It's a mans watch, man oh man Is that one ugly mudder fudrucker ;)

Agreed. When I get mine, telling me the time will be a tertiary function. Mine will mostly be used to pry open large beer bottles and hammer in proud decking nails.

You call that a tool watch? THIS is a tool watch.

:p

Agreed. When I get mine, telling me the time will be a tertiary function. Mine will mostly be used to pry open large beer bottles and hammer in proud decking nails.

You call that a tool watch? THIS is a tool watch.

:p

Can opener,? :g: Hammer? :g: I plan on building a deck on the back of my house this summer,I also like to drink plenty of Ice cold beer durring those hot summer weekends. :g: works for me. :thumbsupsmileyanim: (ps) does It come with a first aid kit :black_eye: