When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You've got to love gen forums....part 2

woody

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=127082

take a look at post from "Bdel" with 10 posts, posting a pam 112 on wrist check day. now why oh why do we still have dbags that like to pull these kinds of stunts? why can't they ever learn to just stay in the rep world instead? sorry, just my pet peeve. ok, rant over!

as much as I'd like to bust him for these childish things....I'd figured I'd just let it be.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=127082

take a look at post from "Bdel" with 10 posts, posting a pam 112 on wrist check day. now why oh why do we still have dbags that like to pull these kinds of stunts? why can't they ever learn to just stay in the rep world instead? sorry, just my pet peeve. ok, rant over!

as much as I'd like to bust him for these childish things....I'd figured I'd just let it be.

You should've called him out on it. Nothing wrong with wearing reps, but passing them off as gen, is what gives the rest of us a bad name :thumbdown:

On another note, I loved Jolu's Exp II wristie, I think it's a prime example of why Rolex should fit the divers extensions across the range, not just on the Subs and SDs :whistling:

Honestly, it's a person's personal property. As long as they are not trying to sell it on a false pretense, I don't really care about whether, or not, someone tries to pass off their watch on a forum as a gen. Why? Because, it's a bit hypocritical to "call out" someone on it when I AM SURE, no one here walks around with the crappiest looking rep so that everyone that sees it can say, "that's a nice fake", or "that's a nice rep". There is a reason why MOST people that collect reps want them to look as close as possible as the real thing. Why? Plenty of reasons and they are different from person to person. That's the same reason a lot of folks don't like to wear a rep, even a good one, that, if gen, would be way out of their league. I've seen this comment plenty of times in this very forum: "I don't think I can wear _____ because there is no way I'd be able to afford it as a gen." Or, I've heard a variation of it. Why is it that no one ever "calls" anyone "out" on that comment alone? And, I've seen it on here plenty.

My next favorite is: "Don't ever wear your rep to a gen store, or AD!" Why not? It's their property. Wear it where ever you feel like wearing it. The consequences are plenty. So, as long as you are willing to deal with them, have at it. All I care about is that some poor guy does not end up buying a rep as if it was a gen. But, showing it off, if it's not my wrist, I couldn't care less because I would be a hypocrite to get on the moral high ground when I don't walk around with a sign on my chest that says, "This Rolex DSSD is really just a good fake. But it's fake nevertheless." Does anyone here? I don't think so. If we really want to be honest, even in the way that others perceive what we are wearing on our wrists, we'd either wear our gen Rolex, Omegas and Panerai all the time - and forget the rep world - or start buying Invicta or Renato "homage" (a nice word for design rip-off, or "legal rep") watches.

I dunno... I guess I've always found it a bit humorous. But then I'm a bit of a troublemaker. I don't partake, but I don't put my frankens in my pocket when I browse around inside ADs either.

I agree. And, if inside an AD, one of the workers there try to take my watch from my wrist, they are probably going to get put in a reverse wrist lock. :Jumpy:

A person is able to do whatever they choose, however it's instances like this that draw an especially bad light to our hobby. We know what we have and we have a forum specifically to discuss these things. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to go onto a gen forum, post a fake trying to pass it off as gen and thus draw unnecessay attention to our forums (of which those gen owners probably already hold a lot of contention for us as it is). If we leave them alone, they'll likely leave us alone.

Plus, it accomplishes nothing.

If we leave them alone, they'll likely leave us alone.

I doubt that. Your "run-of-the-mill" gen owners that frequent those forums are typically not as informed as most dedicated rep enthusiasts. Many of them use the negative discussion of reps in order to make themselves feel better about their $10,000 USD purchase. I personally would not try to pass my reps off as gens on a gen forum because, as you have written, it accomplishes nothing.

However, the whole "let's call him out" thing, to me, it's just a futile and dishonest for the reasons I pointed out on my previous post. If some guy wants to do that, that's on him. I only police my own watches and my purchases/trades. My exception to this rule is if someone tries to sell their rep watch as the real thing. To me, that's a terrible thing to do and I would contact the buyer to ensure he/she is doing the proper things to double and triple check the authenticity of the item. But, the whole, "calling out" thing, I find that kind of childish, to be honest. In my opinion, someone wants to "call out" people for wearing reps, then they should start with themselves and do so every time someone either compliments their rep watch, or stares at it in admiration. They should just say, "Thank you, but it's really a cheap Chinese replica".

A person is able to do whatever they choose, however it's instances like this that draw an especially bad light to our hobby. We know what we have and we have a forum specifically to discuss these things. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to go onto a gen forum, post a fake trying to pass it off as gen and thus draw unnecessay attention to our forums (of which those gen owners probably already hold a lot of contention for us as it is). If we leave them alone, they'll likely leave us alone.

Plus, it accomplishes nothing.

I agree with ubi. let's say he does get called out by someone. it really just gives the rep community a bad name. and we know there are plenty of "holier than thou" gen owners there, so why go tread in their waters. it's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I find it funny though that the rep 112 is rather blurry. I think I am going to read what that poster's previous 9 posts were about. reading pleasure on a late friday night I'd tell ya!

I doubt that. Your "run-of-the-mill" gen owners that frequent those forums are typically not as informed as most dedicated rep enthusiasts. Many of them use the negative discussion of reps in order to make themselves feel better about their $10,000 USD purchase. I personally would not try to pass my reps off as gens on a gen forum because, as you have written, it accomplishes nothing.

However, the whole "let's call him out" thing, to me, it's just a futile and dishonest for the reasons I pointed out on my previous post. If some guy wants to do that, that's on him. I only police my own watches and my purchases/trades. My exception to this rule is if someone tries to sell their rep watch as the real thing. To me, that's a terrible thing to do and I would contact the buyer to ensure he/she is doing the proper things to double and triple check the authenticity of the item. But, the whole, "calling out" thing, I find that kind of childish, to be honest. In my opinion, someone wants to "call out" people for wearing reps, then they should start with themselves and do so every time someone either compliments their rep watch, or stares at it in admiration. They should just say, "Thank you, but it's really a cheap Chinese replica".

No idea where this is even coming from. I never said anything about calling anyone out. I don't go on gen forums to post reps as gens, and I don't bother identifying or pointing out when someone chooses to do so. I only stated that it's a good idea to refrain from doing so. What you choose to do is up to you... I could care less.

I dunno... I guess I've always found it a bit humorous. But then I'm a bit of a troublemaker. I don't partake, but I don't put my frankens in my pocket when I browse around inside ADs either.

Chief you must be rebel, :g: I like that In a person :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I dont agree, showing your reps here Is appropriate, It's a rep forum. Showing your rep or trying to pass It off as a gen at a gen forum Is not appropriate for the obvious reasons. How you can equate wearing a rep out In public to tring to pass your rep off as a gen on a gen forum Is beyond me. These two actions have absolutly nothing In common. What someone thinks about my watch out In public Is no concern of mine. The truth Is most people could care less about whats on your wrist. But a watch forum Is not being out In public. I do agree with you about calling someone out, I wont do It. I figure the guy will get busted one day, no skin off my nose. :rolleyes:

I do...

I dont agree, showing your reps here Is appropriate, It's a rep forum. Showing your rep or trying to pass It off as a gen at a gen forum Is not appropriate for the obvious reasons. How you can equate wearing a rep out In public to tring to pass your rep off as a gen on a gen forum Is beyond me. These two actions have absolutly nothing In common. What someone thinks about my watch out In public Is no concern of mine. The truth Is most people could care less about whats on your wrist. But a watch forum Is not being out In public. I do agree with you about calling someone out, I wont do It. I figure the guy will get busted one day, no skin off my nose. :rolleyes:

Absolutely. In public/at work/at a party/wherever, a person's wrist wear is likely not the topic or focus of conversation. Someone might notice, someone might not, but chances are, nothing will be said. Wrist shots, however, are specifically for the purpose of 'show and tell' on the watches in question, and more so, on gen forums, there is often the policy of not discussing rep watches at all. Posting a rep in a wrist shot on a gen forum is not only going against that ethos of not discussing reps (as merely posting the photo is inviting comments on the watch) but it is also stupid and unnecessary... Is it tasteless to call someone out for wearing a rep? Yes. Is it tasteless to post a rep on a gen forum? Absolutely. Is it hypocritical to think someone doing that deserves the embarrassment from the attention they are courting? Possibly... Either way, they are courting the attention, so deserve the full measure of responses, whatever they many be...

Absolutely. In public/at work/at a party/wherever, a person's wrist wear is likely not the topic or focus of conversation. Someone might notice, someone might not, but chances are, nothing will be said. Wrist shots, however, are specifically for the purpose of 'show and tell' on the watches in question, and more so, on gen forums, there is often the policy of not discussing rep watches at all. Posting a rep in a wrist shot on a gen forum is not only going against that ethos of not discussing reps (as merely posting the photo is inviting comments on the watch) but it is also stupid and unnecessary... Is it tasteless to call someone out for wearing a rep? Yes. Is it tasteless to post a rep on a gen forum? Absolutely. Is it hypocritical to think someone doing that deserves the embarrassment from the attention they are courting? Possibly... Either way, they are courting the attention, so deserve the full measure of responses, whatever they many be...

:thumbsupsmileyanim: What I may wear or not wear Is my business. The shoes I wear or the ring on my finger, my business and no one elses. If some one happens to say nice watch, I always respond the same way, "thank you" thats It end of conversation. If you feel that you need to tell someone It's a replica then fine go ahead. It's no ones business what I pay for a watch or a pair of shoes or whatever that "thing" may be. Now If I meet someone I know and there Into watches than I will talk about where I got It and what It Is. This has actually happend to me on a few occasions, both people I knew. They both purchased a rep within a few weeks after are talk. One guy got a Sub and the other PO. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim: What I may wear or not wear Is my business. The shoes I wear or the ring on my finger, my business and no one elses. If some one happens to say nice watch, I always respond the same way, "thank you" thats It end of conversation. If you feel that you need to tell someone It's a replica then fine go ahead. It's no ones business what I pay for a watch or a pair of shoes or whatever that "thing" may be. Now If I meet someone I know and there Into watches than I will talk about where I got It and what It Is. This has actually happend to me on a few occasions, both people I knew. They both purchased a rep within a few weeks after are talk. One guy got a Sub and the other PO. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Exactly. If someone wants a discussion on the item, then fair enough, but majority of times, a person paying a complement isn't looking for the life history and point of origin for the watch, they're just saying "Nice watch." I'm happy to discuss a watch with someone who wants to discuss them, but other than that, I don't feel the need to immediately answer any comment on my watch with "It's a replica", if that's not a relevant reply. I don't consider that to be anything like trying to pass a rep off as gen, or some kind of 'omission of information', simply because the information might not be welcome or what the other person wants to hear. If they actually ask for it, then fine, but if not, a "thank you" is all that is required, and anyone that feels the need to get the best rep so they can pass it off as gen (either online or in the real world) has insecurities and issues which are not going to be resolved by wearing a brand name (chances are, someone like that wearing a rep is just going to get more paranoid because it's a rep :lol: )

Exactly. If someone wants a discussion on the item, then fair enough, but majority of times, a person paying a complement isn't looking for the life history and point of origin for the watch, they're just saying "Nice watch." I'm happy to discuss a watch with someone who wants to discuss them, but other than that, I don't feel the need to immediately answer any comment on my watch with "It's a replica", if that's not a relevant reply. I don't consider that to be anything like trying to pass a rep off as gen, or some kind of 'omission of information', simply because the information might not be welcome or what the other person wants to hear. If they actually ask for it, then fine, but if not, a "thank you" is all that is required, and anyone that feels the need to get the best rep so they can pass it off as gen (either online or in the real world) has insecurities and issues which are not going to be resolved by wearing a brand name (chances are, someone like that wearing a rep is just going to get more paranoid because it's a rep :lol: )

:lol:

I like boobs. Now, if I meet a hot chick with big boobs and she says that they're fake boobs, I will still sleep with her. But if I am paying big bucks for a ferrari of a trophy wife and she claims her [censored] are real when they're actually implants..That is a #fail

Watches are like [censored], rep of gen they're pretty awesome. But don't go entering a "Ms Nude All Natural" pagent with fake [censored]. It doesn't impress the people who bought tickets to the show, it doesn't make you look good, and it diminishes the appreciation of [censored] of all types.

My point is, don't be a boob! Keep reps to reps to rep sites and gens to gen sites!

I like boobs. Now, if I meet a hot chick with big boobs and she says that they're fake boobs, I will still sleep with her. But if I am paying big bucks for a ferrari of a trophy wife and she claims her [censored] are real when they're actually implants..That is a #fail

Watches are like [censored], rep of gen they're pretty awesome. But don't go entering a "Ms Nude All Natural" pagent with fake [censored]. It doesn't impress the people who bought tickets to the show, it doesn't make you look good, and it diminishes the appreciation of [censored] of all types.

My point is, don't be a boob! Keep reps to reps to rep sites and gens to gen sites!

:clapping: But I like big fake tities :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Perfect analogy :tu::victory: