When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

JoJo35

I saw that earlier as well, and was surprised that no one said a word (though plenty of heavy hitters in that thread that know otherwise).

I have a feeling they were just trying to be 'polite' (though this seems to be in direct conflict with what the VRF is about, and how Richard handles the sales side of the forum).

Franken? Could be, but hard to tell without better pics.

The thing that sticks out for me is his 'luminova -relumined by RSC' dial :g: . As far as I know, Rolex stopped reluming dials some or so 20 years ago. But the style of relume (lume slightly exceeding the boundaries of the original lume) does look like an RSC job. So who knows?

Franken? Could be, but hard to tell without better pics.

The thing that sticks out for me is his 'luminova -relumined by RSC' dial :g: . As far as I know, Rolex stopped reluming dials some or so 20 years ago. But the style of relume (lume slightly exceeding the boundaries of the original lume) does look like an RSC job. So who knows?

That was what struck me as unusual. I don't believe that Rolex would relume a dial and hands, and return the hands on such amateur-quality cardboard splints. Also, why would they relume the hands, rather than just replacing them outright with new ones? Possibly a gen dial which has been relumed by 'someone', but I highly doubt a Rolex SC had anything to do with it... :whistling:

Dial looks fine to me, as do the hands.

I think it is the posters English skills. he must have meant RSC replacement dial, not RSC relume dial, or whatever he typed

That is a rare dial actually. The early service dials were old blanks with SWISS - T<25, but lumed in luminova. Later service dials were SWISS.

And yes, TJ, not likely that Rolex would relume anything. Why would they when they can sell you some new parts!

Dial looks fine to me, as do the hands.

I think it is the posters English skills. he must have meant RSC replacement dial, not RSC relume dial, or whatever he typed

That is a rare dial actually. The early service dials were old blanks with SWISS - T<25, but lumed in luminova. Later service dials were SWISS.

And yes, TJ, not likely that Rolex would relume anything. Why would they when they can sell you some new parts!

Ahh, I see what you mean about the luming comment, it'll certainly be interesting to find out for sure what the story is :) For example, if someone had the hands and the dial from the RSC and sold them to this guy, he would be correct in saying that they had come (originally) from the RSC. Time will tell :victory:

not only the FAKE case, but how did he fit that movement in there? That movement is a salvage from a 1601/3 case. note the calendar seat is beveled for the pie pan dial. These do not fit into 1680 cases, the diameter is too big.

Time will tell.

From my experience with the RSC, they don't seem to be interested in aged hands because they have a policy that says replace old hand before they flake into the works.

Same with bracelets. Rolex Sydney told me they would refinish my 1995 Sub clasp this time, but next time they won't. They went on to explain that another refinish would compromise the domed head of one of the key clasp pins to a point, that they are not confident it would continue to insure the integrity of the clasp.

They allowed me to keep my tritium dial, hands, bezel, insert and clasp, to satisfy my desire to keep the watch all original. But boy, the guy fairly checked it out with his loupe before he made that decision.

not only the FAKE case, but how did he fit that movement in there? That movement is a salvage from a 1601/3 case. note the calendar seat is beveled for the pie pan dial. These do not fit into 1680 cases, the diameter is too big.

Time will tell.

Looks as though the movement he started with was that 1560, but ultimately ended up going with the 1570...

Well, JoJo, I'm right behind you, where did that case come from?

And I agree with freddy, I thought Rolex had quit reluming dials- they would rather sell you a new luminova dial.

I'm all for you raising the question or two. And will happily back you up.

I thought Rolex had quit reluming dials- they would rather sell you a new luminova dial.

If we've learned anything from RSCs, it's that nothing is consistent. Especially so when considering the differing policies of varying regions. Some do new dials while others may consider reluming old stock. Some will return old parts and some will insist that parts replacement is on an exchange basis only. Some will provide or supply parts to 3rd party authorized watchmakers, and some will refuse. Some will service certain calibers and some will turn them away.

Depending on where you are, and who you know, YMMV.

Nothing out of the ordinary for an RSC in that regard. New hands are supplied in that manner.

That surprizes me, I would have expected them to have had a specially made splint for use with hands rather than just salvaged card, but hey, if that's how they do things :pardon::)

Here's a set of Snowflake lumi hands, NOS and on the cards:

IMG_1289.jpg

16520 hands:

IMG_3771.jpg

Considering that the replacement parts are not intended for actual public distribution direct from Rolex S.A., but rather to the service centers and watchmakers, there's really no need to make the presentation of such things fancy. The cards are low cost (thus saving them money), and are likely either thrown away once the hands are used or are utilized to hold the old hands they are replacing for storage.

They really just need to fulfil a primary objective, which they do albeit rather crudely.

Here's a set of Snowflake lumi hands, NOS and on the cards:

IMG_1289.jpg

16520 hands:

IMG_3771.jpg

Considering that the replacement parts are not intended for actual public distribution direct from Rolex S.A., but rather to the service centers and watchmakers, there's really no need to make the presentation of such things fancy. The cards are low cost (thus saving them money), and are likely either thrown away once the hands are used or are utilized to hold the old hands they are replacing for storage.

They really just need to fulfil a primary objective, which they do albeit rather crudely.

The Snowflake hands look very well presented on nice card, then I scrolled down and saw the others on the random cards :lol: I totally see what you mean, if the parts are just being moved 'in house', then not really any need to produce a 'more professional' splint for the hands, and I guess it is also recycling :good: Interesting that no comments have been made on the other thread acknowledging the questions about the origins of the case :lol:

Hands need only look good in the watch. How they're delivered is of no concern as long as they're kept straight, scratch free and ready to use.

Indeed :) So much for my theory of spotting non RSC components :pardon::bangin: