When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof?

jdbob

Out of the box, don't count on any rep watches to be waterproof as-is. Some may be and some may not (there's no consistency).

It is always a good idea to check the critical points that could be prone to leaking (crown, caseback) to ensure all are properly tightened and then have a pressure test performed; at this point, you'll know if it's good to go or if additional work is needed (greasing gaskets, etc).

I've been swimming regularly with an Explorer rep for the past year. Maybe I got lucky, but the seals were good upon receipt and have held up since then.

I also have a different, $30 Explorer rep that's been similarly waterproof out of the box.

I have also had good luck with most of my watches, however I would think twice before subjecting any reps to submersion without getting them tested first. It's usually a quick and inexpensive process to ensure that your new watch is kept in good working order :)

I have had the rep noobmariner the SSD a SFSO and a Br SOH. The noobmariner and SFSO took on water after an mere 40 foot dive. The SSD and SOH (after applying silicon grease to all the seals) have each sustained multiple dives to depths of up to 120 feet. The key seems to be greasing the seals and tightening the caseback and crown solidly.

Welcome, and to put it simply: Even if the replica designer intends for the watch to be water-tight, the person who puts the watch together can forget to place a gasket before closing it, and ... uh oh! :black_eye:

With no quality inspection, you never know what you will get.

Well, you don't know what you get until you -Read the articles here -Learn how to disassemble and reassemble a watch -have the tools at hand -and are willing to go mess up a few times, get some watches wet, and do some deep dives. Have fun (but take a dive computer).

Interesting.

I'm thinking about putting a 1680 together using some parts from yuki. I've heard his case is quite good. If assembled properly with all the gaskets, does it have the potential to approximate the durability and waterproofness of a gen? Or do rep cases etc just not innately have the potential to be properly sealed. What are the structural differences between a good rep case and a gen oyster case?

Thanks again tons for the advice.

Water under pressure is nothing to laugh at. Rep, Gen, it is a risk every time you go under. I have a solidly built dive computer by Suunto and it mandates a service every 2 years (minimum). I have a Gen Luminox and it requires regular service and testing yearly. And every aspect of my dive kit gets a wash in fresh water after each dive and gets a regular once-over.

Think about it outside the rep-gen land. Gear intended to get wet and go deep needs a full once-over and exam before going under. Pre-dive checks are a ritual that should never be broken Dive watches have a thickness of fine print in the manual about intended uses and service limits.. follow them. ISO has very severe standards on what can be called a dive watch. The standards for dive computers are even thicker.

Bottom line? Can your rep be made water-tight? Yep, and I've enjoyed playing in the oceans with them. Can they fail? Yep, and they have. Can gens fail? Yep and they do. Would I rely on a rep under the water? NO!!!!! It is a fun thing to take with you but it is just for fun. Would I rely on a gen under the water? NO!!!! It is a back up to other systems.

Summary, your rep can go down to the deep and not get fogged up and crap out rust out or otherwise ruin your night-club watch. Thus you can certainly make them pool-worthy. Generally if you're getting wet with your watch you want a basic model. Screw-down crown, screw in case-back. Check seals, use grease, and don't cry if they do fail..

The light bending of water on the watch at depth makes for a pretty watch though:

IMG_0575.jpg

Rehaut is due to the optics of water, check the depth gauge though:

IMG_0550.jpg

And yes, you've seen these before on my old nick.

Edited by Movementum

I have found that all my reps divers watches except one can be used in water a 1665 comex failed because of a cracked crystal hidden under the bezel as soon as i get my new watch i take out the dial and movement tighten the backcase and crown and submerge the watch over night in a watertank! then when this is done put it back together grease all seals then take it down to get it pressure tested,

paying top $$ for you rep does not mean it is waterproof, my 300 $ 1665 was not but a friend of mine who is a diver used a 20usd comex rep bought from a hongkong street seller and it survived a 100m dive! his three divers watches cost him over 4,000usd each.

most good repsellers are not willing to guarantee water resistance even though most good reps are, except sites like trusty where they have watches pressure tested/serviced for an extra charge

Edited by aeromatic

I have found that all my reps divers watches except one can be used in water a 1665 comex failed because of a cracked crystal hidden under the bezel as soon as i get my new watch i take out the dial and movement tighten the backcase and crown and submerge the watch over night in a watertank! then when this is done put it back together grease all seals then take it down to get it pressure tested,

paying top $$ for you rep does not mean it is waterproof, my 300 $ 1665 was not but a friend of mine who is a diver used a 20usd comex rep bought from a hongkong street seller and it survived a 100m dive! his three divers watches cost him over 4,000usd each.

most good repsellers are not willing to guarantee water resistance even though most good reps are, except sites like trusty where they have watches pressure tested/serviced for an extra charge

People have reported paying the extra charge, only to get watches which leaked like sieves... :whistling: