When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 Swiss? or asian clone

gtanak

Hi all,

Have been reading up but unable to find a definitive guide on telling a swiss 2836-2 and an asian clone mvmt apart. Would really appreciate if anyone can share some clear indicators to differentiate them. Have attached some photos of a recent rep i purchased that was quoted as Swiss eta 2836-2. The inscriptions are 'VELAS' followed by 2836-2 DM and some insignia design. Hope someone can comment thanks!

2836-2.jpg

2836-3.jpg

2836.jpg

Looks ETA. The shock protection mount appears to have three notches for the retaining clip. Like this

DSCF3505-ETA.jpg?t=1274121791

All the other detailed tells are on the dial side.

Thanks for reply Krpster.

After more research online, i found these technical documents from ETA. And with closer inspection, the engravings and ETA insignia is clearly identical. So looks like it is genuine Swiss eta after all. Good to know i'm getting what i paid for!

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=28

Cheers

G

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

wondering...i reviewed the eta tech/mfg docs and didn't see anything regarding the engraved identification...

for example - a 2824-2 i have seen in pix on RWG has V8A14 engraved/stamped; along with the 2824-2, DM and eta symbol...is there a document that helps at least determine what the "V" numbers are?...

yes - i realize that these numbers can be cloned, too, but just wondering if there's a listing as to what the eta identification means...

keep in mind, there are ETA factories in Asia...and from what we have seen in the past, if you build a factory in Asia, soon enough, someone will build a clone factory close by....also, those ETA movements come out in 3 to 4 different finishes....from base to top decorative finish....most of the movements used in REPS are basically "base" finished movements.....

I would not sweat it too much, the asian Eta 2836 clone is just as good as the base swiss ETA 2836...it's all about keeping it well serviced.

a green gasket huh. never seen that before, and no one mentions it.

clones are in NO WAY "just as good". rough finishes, slightly ill fitting components, different material used throughout. ive taken enough a part to know by now, some werent worth fixing and sit in my parts box, while ALL my genuine eta's tick on. dont settle for clones, branded or otherwise. selitta is the only NON eta 2836 manufacturer i would consider, but their prices are on par with eta anyways.