When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's play of game of "spot the gen"

veja74

OK, so this comes on the heels of my "Omega holy trinity" post. I present to you a highly frankened rep SMP Chrono and a genuine SMP Chrono. Look very closely... do you know which is which???

In all shots the left-right orientation is maintained throughout.

Here's the front view:

post-3348-127450796701_thumb.jpg

post-3348-127450798041_thumb.jpg post-3348-127450798933_thumb.jpg

And the case backs and crowns:

post-3348-127450800436_thumb.jpg

post-3348-127450801575_thumb.jpg post-3348-127450803277_thumb.jpg

Not the best shot of He valves, but here they are:

post-3348-127450827482_thumb.jpg

post-3348-127450830231_thumb.jpg post-3348-127450838737_thumb.jpg

And lastly, the obligatory lume shots, put your sunglasses on:

post-3348-127450794423_thumb.jpg post-3348-127450795407_thumb.jpg

Have fun, any feedback is appreciated and thanks for looking.

post-3348-127450799782_thumb.jpg

i'm gonna go for left being gen too. The wave pattern looks a lot more defined than the on the right one

edit: just read your other post about the franken having a gen dial, guess it's just a trick of the light. I'm going to switch to the right one being gen now as the hour hand looks a bit shorter than it should be.

In any case, they both look stunning!

Edited by horz

Well, looks like everybody gets it right, though not for many of the reasons stated. The watch on the left is the gen. However:

-the rep has the exact same dial as the gen.

-the rep has the exact same hands as the gen, except for the rep still has the rep subdial hands, notice how they are .3mm shorter? Look closely.

-the rep has the exact same bracelet as the gen, although it looks like over the years the end link stamp has been moved in production

-the rep has the exact same bezel as the gen

-the rep has Chief AR, which to me looks just as good as the Omega AR which is double sided on the post 2007 models.

-the rep was just serviced by Rex and he actually replaced needed parts with swiss, he also waterproofs the watch.

I still have a gen He valve and tube, a gen crown and gen pushers but I don't think I will install those at this time as I will likely be listing the rep in the sales forum and will include those other parts with the deal.

Thanks for all the feedback!

-the rep has the exact same hands as the gen, except for the rep still has the rep subdial hands, notice how they are .3mm shorter? Look closely.

how come the right watch looks to have a shorter hour hand then? It seems to cut the subdial at the 20 mark, but the left one is nearer the 22 mark

how come the right watch looks to have a shorter hour hand then? It seems to cut the subdial at the 20 mark, but the left one is nearer the 22 mark

VERY observant horz!! Thanks for pointing that out. Just did some checking around and I had ordered an hour hand for a ref 2599.80.0 and the newer version of this watch is a ref 2225.80.0. Ofrei doesn't even have the newer hands on the website. Looks like it might be special order time!!

Thanks again

WOW one of them is a rep?? SUPERB!!!! There are very slight differences (noticeable only when you have them side by side) - but if its on your wrist I doubt anyone would be able to tell. Really cool. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks OSRep. For any interested parties, I will likely listing the rep in the for sale forum this week. I will probably offer it with or without the gen bracelet and I will also be throwing in the remaining gen parts I have (gen He valve and tube, gen pushers and gen crown, sorry, no crown tube)

Nope, the caseback is rep. Funny thing about that is I handed both watches to a friend of mine not telling him which was gen and gave him a loupe to try to pick the gen. He called the rep a gen because he said under the loupe the caseback looked more detailed and of better quality! I had to chuckle at that one.