When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is it possible to remove the cyclops off plexy crystals

FxrAndy

I was just thinking about the plexy on your tudor to be honest as the gen is apparently hard to get would it be possible to reposition the loupe, do you use heat to loosen the glue and then re-glue with UV glue?

I always thought the plexi cyclope was molded into it. I would use a fine flat file to take off most of it then use progressively finer wet/dry paper on a firm rubber sanding block followed by polishing compound. You really don't need to go much finer than 600 or 800 but it needs to be worked down evenly on the rubber block to avoid optical distortions...

I mounted an empty case (no movement or caseback) in a lathe and cut the magnifier off an aftmkt 127 crystal and it turned out fine. After the magnifier had been removed, I started with 600, then 1000, 1500, and finished with 2000 sandpaper (not much difference between 1500 and 2000). Final polishing with 'Simichrome' metal/plastic polish made it shine like a new crystal.

I have removed a few magnifiers by sanding the magnifier off, sanding the top of the crystal, then polishing by hand...it's a bit of work but it usually turns out that you can not tell it had a magnifier.

Being able to spin the crystal just makes the job go faster.