When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the gear heads...

ubiquitous

Beautiful 1575! I believe see: H, M, 24H pinions there?

You building a GMT or Explorer II or sumptin?

I wish I could take credit and say that was my movement. It is from my "photo reference archive". B)

Picked up the El Primero 400/Ebel 134 back in 2005 as a NOS, uncased movement. Think I paid roughly $800 for it back then. Today, I believe they sell for $1200 - $1400; depends on whether it's a loose movement, or via donor watch. Either way, a service should be factored into the cost due to the age of such things, coupled with the fact that the EP400 runs at 36000bph (making service a little more critical to keep things in proper mechanical order).

Rolex downshifts the 4030 to 28800bph. On paper, it seems quite a bit less, but in truth it's only a difference of 2 beats per second (10 beats per second vs. 8 beats).

Rolex also changes a number of other parts when rebuilding to 4030 specs. They actually put a lot of work into the movement all said and done.

All these movements look fantastic, but I must confess my love for the classic Omega rotor, which I think is one of the best-looking watch parts ever mass-produced.

red, I can't make out the calibre number on account of your intimate depth of field. Is that a 550?