When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A quick (and interesting) dial comparison

ubiquitous

Just a quick, 3 pic comparison of a genuine 5513 dial and a custom dial I had commissioned/painted.

Please note the overall details... Font, coronet, markers, etc... All in all, the repaint is pretty close; only major difference on first inspection is the color (the repaint is much too dark) and the dial texture is far more pronounced on the gen. The custom dial has Zigmeister lume, BTW :)

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

Stunning work... I could never detect the difference.

Is there a way to make the custom dial lighter or are you just going to live with it?

A question for you: why the I-bar style lume?

Period correct ;)

Stunning work... I could never detect the difference.

Is there a way to make the custom dial lighter or are you just going to live with it?

Ehhh... Well, since I have the gen dial, I'll have to live with the gen :lol: The custom dial will likely find a new home (if my friend wants it)...

Great stuff Ubi. It's amazing how different shades of black are aren't they? Is there a specific font they have to use that's readily available that can be specified to other dial printers or is this something custom they had to put together?

Very interesting...and I think mounted in a watch would really make a fantastic item regardless of being too dark. Gen is always the best...but hey...paupers like me have to look for compromises.

Cheers and thanks for posting.

Well, when I commissioned the dial, I had to be very specific in what I wanted, and backed up my request with lots of pics and lots of details identified. I suspect that the dial maker did the best that they could matching the fonts; it is by no means perfect when under magnification and compared with a gen example side by side, but I suspect that cased and while out and about, this dial would do well amongst casual observers :)

For grins, I did case up a 1st attempt of the same custom dial; this one had been matte sprayed.

IMG_3722.jpg