When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling deployant clasps

subbiesrock

Fellow 'Lingers :)

I just received a rep black croc on a Breitling Deployant (from Josh) and fitted it to my Navitimer, but I'm quite unhappy with the quality of the clasp. The leather isn't great (the coming BOB straps will soon fix that!) but what concerns me (and what I bought the set for) is the clasp itself. The catch is quite soft, so that it takes very little force to pry it open, making it potentially quite loose after a few openings. Have others had a similar experience with their rep Navitimer/World/Bentley Breitling deployants?

Have any of you got a suggestion to fix it or alternate Breitling-style clasps of good quality, or perhaps a 20mm deployant you might be willing to part with? I hear gen deployants are horrendously expensive!

This is sounding more like a WTB than a general question. I suppose it can be both? ;) I see now why the straps are the first things to be replaced on the Navitimers, and why so many people go to the gens or other quality aftermarket straps. A tang buckle is a last resort, I like having the strap tucked underneath and not visible on the outside.

Cheers guys! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've looked everywhere mate, ebay has none at 20mm (BOB has one at 18mm, which is exactly the type I am looking for, just in a 20mm obviously), strapped for time only has 18mm's.

Have a look yourself, I'll be amazed if you find something. It seems everyone is out of stock of the 20mm. Looks like it'll have to be a rep from the dealers.

This is really shitting me, how loose this clasp it, it's half way out as I'm wearing it, and the slightest nudge opens it!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=breitling+clasp+20mm&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Are these suitable? or are you only looking for clasp that hide the strap?

Of course the one that hides under the skin, the one without holes in the strap. It's impossible to find one! It's easy for an 18mm, BOB is selling 10 of them! But for a 20mm it's really impossible.

(Actually it's very easy, but for US$400 for a GEN!)

You should try to bend it a bit with your fingers!

Bend the most narrow part(the single part that fall between the other 2) so it will be tighter, so bend it more so it becomes more arched and hooks better into the other part

Hae a look at the picture, it's impossible

4139085690_ab512470de.jpg

The part you mention is part of the link that says BREITLING, it's impossible to bend!

I have a similar issue, does pop out but not as easily as yours.

I wish bob sold 24mm deployant straps for breitling, these rep straps are terrible.

I've put the word out on the streets for a new clasp, considering they're about US$0.50 in China I'm amazed that the dealers charge so much for them on their websites. You would also think they'd test a few to make sure they worked, avoiding the inevitable dramas with return postage etc. I bought mine from Joshua, it's not his fault at all, he just posts whatever first comes to hand, as I would, but I'd at least check the clasp opened and closed properly once before sending it out.

Not a happy camper, I paid US$65 for the deployant and strap and expected a little more.

I wish BOB made 24/20 deployant straps too, they would sell like hotcakes! I ordered 4, one of each type of material, just to see what they were like, it's an absolute bargain! If they are of comparable quality to the rep straps, they're still incredibly cheap.

The rep deployments suck! They are not curved enough so fit very uncomfortable and have poor retention. I have bent mine to be more like the Gen, but still, they are just not comfortable. You would not think this is some thing that would be hard to get right.

After going trough many reps and after market ones, and was never impressed. Broke down and bought the $240 Gen. and never looked back. Have bought 2 more since.

The rep deployments suck! They are not curved enough so fit very uncomfortable and have poor retention. I have bent mine to be more like the Gen, but still, they are just not comfortable. You would not think this is some thing that would be hard to get right.

After going through many reps and after market ones, and was never impressed. Broke down and bought the $240 Gen. and never looked back. Have bought 2 more since.

US$240? They are going on eBay for no less than US$450! What a joke, where on Earth did you get yours from?

I've sent a message out to a few dealers, and we'll see what they have to say. You're absolutely right, if they can get the rest of the watch so precise, you'd think the clasp would be chicken-feed, especially considering how much business they lose to people who go out and buy the gens, which are ludicrously inflated anyway.

Anyway, I don't need to help them with their business model, clearly it works for them.

US$240? They are going on eBay for no less than US$450! What a joke, where on Earth did you get yours from?

I've sent a message out to a few dealers, and we'll see what they have to say. You're absolutely right, if they can get the rest of the watch so precise, you'd think the clasp would be chicken-feed, especially considering how much business they lose to people who go out and buy the gens, which are ludicrously inflated anyway.

Anyway, I don't need to help them with their business model, clearly it works for them.

Let me guess

Hey Mike,

Would you know the AD price of a OR strap with deployment and the deployment alone? TIA!

2009 Price for the Ocean Racer with Clasp is MSRP $400 USD. I do not have the 2010 price list yet. As of right now, Breitling is not offering the clasp by itself. I have been working w/ my AD and BUSA to get just the OR rubber straps less deployment w/out success.

:drinks:

Might have to look into that, a guy is selling a second - hand croc with deployant on daBay for $450, might have to refer this information onto him. "Used once", or so they all say.

Gen Breitling Croc and Deployment is $720 USD from a AD. $480 for the Croco strap and $240 for the Deployment.

So $450 slightly used or used once is a good price.

:drinks:

@Bike Mike; I thought you just said 3 posts ago that a gen deployant and a gen leather strap would be about $400? In any case, I thought the deployant strap might go for a bit more than $200. I'm looking forward to these BOB straps to come in to compare with the rep and with a gen which I tried a while ago, should make a great alternative to gens.

Might be a good price, but it's not a 'subbiesrock' price ;)

What's the 25 words or less consensus for those of you who've tried the rep straps, the aftermarkets and finally the genuines... Can the higher prices be justified?

@Bike Mike; I thought you just said 3 posts ago that a gen deployant and a gen leather strap would be about $400?

I did. $400 is for leather on a deployment. You said Croc, when refering to your Ebay post. Whole different animal :thumbsupsmileyanim: that costs twice+++ as much.

Leather + Deploment = $400

Croc + Deployment = $720

Of course the one that hides under the skin, the one without holes in the strap. It's impossible to find one! It's easy for an 18mm, BOB is selling 10 of them! But for a 20mm it's really impossible.

(Actually it's very easy, but for US$400 for a GEN!)

Hae a look at the picture, it's impossible

4139085690_ab512470de.jpg

The part you mention is part of the link that says BREITLING, it's impossible to bend!

I think you have too little strength in your fingers then ;-)

I have bent all 3 off mine so they close tight and wear confortable by hand

@Mike - you mean calfskin? That's a massive discrepancy in price between calkskin and leather!

@Wimpie - sorry I misunderstood you, you meant to bend the whole piece of metal that says BREITLING, I tried that and it seems to work quite well!

Good advice! It's nice to know that all the problems have been had by our more experienced members!

Cheers again guys!

The Breitling AD here in Aus is yet to dignify my email with a response... Just wait and see what a croc and a deployant will cost here. I spent some time in Germany over the last few years and bought myself a top of the line Hugo Boss suit, a "Jam/Sharp" for those in the know. Full tailoring, sleeves, pant length AND the lats taken in a touch, tailoring all inclusive, from the Flagship store in Berlin, mind you. 500 Euro (about US$600), free tailoring included (a bit of charm always helps out with the ladies, the tailoring I later found out was close to 70Euros on its own!). I saw the same suit here in Australia, from a Discount Factory Outlet for couture brands, strewn on some nondescript shelf. ... Wait for it... AUS$2500! (US$2000)!!!

This is what we are used to contending with here. It's utterly ridiculous. You guys in the EU and US have it easy, I assure you. Spend some time in Australia with some slightly refined taste in clothing and you'll need to take a second job (or sell a kidney!) ;)

• 4 weeks later...