When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Too many watches in single purchase?

gimme

Hi. I've been reading non stop for two weeks. I'm completely hooked.

Want your advice.

I plan on purchasing maybe 10 watches. UPO, Speedy Date, Railmaster, 3717, Portu, SOSF, BCE, VC Overseas, and a couple of more.

Should I purchase all of them at the same time? Or should I order a couple at a time? I'm in the US and planned on purchasing from hunt because so far he's offered the best deal and got dealer of the year in another forum. He also says that if custom takes the watches he will replace free of charge.

I think that by ordering them all at the same time I will get a better deal and maybe the dealer thinks I'm a good client and will give me decent QC, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The customs risk will increase about 1000% when you have 10 watches in one shipping.

One watch, one shipping. That's my advice.

PS: Have fun! :good:

woa... 10 in one order. Now that's a gamble! I always order 2 at a time (maby 3) and wait until each order arrives before you place another order. I think most dealers have a fixed shipping cost on 1-3 units as that's how many will fit into a single package.

This will also give you a chance to inspect the watches and deal with any potential problems as there is no such thing as QC, ans in that many watches you are bound to have problems of some sort

Last and most important, every order has a chance to be seized by customs. Spread out the orders to improve the odds of getting your shipment. Ya a dealer may replace a seized shipment... but i doubt any would do it for 10 units

personally, i've always tried to keep it at three watches or less per shipment. irrespective the fact that (as you said) our collectors will replaces watches snagged by customs, anything more than that just feels like you're risking too much on one package.

so my suggestion: buy three watches at a time, and give yourself a couple weeks to enjoy them and see what you think about them before placing that next order. most people go on a buying tear when they first find this place and get access to the incredible hoard of amazing timepieces found here. inevitably, after a while you'll start honing in on what kinds of watches you really like (and find yourself wanting to wear day to day). at that point in time most people end up selling a bunch of watches they have bought along the way that don't get much wrist time. it's all part of the process, but to the extent you really think hard about your early purchases, i think you'll be happier in the end.

one last concern about buying 10+ watches at once would be that customs could try to imply that you're dealing if you're importing 10+ watches at a time. and most certainly (as several individuals who have tried to deal from the U.S. have found) consequences of dealing in fake watches in the U.S. are very different than buying a fake watch and getting it snagged by customs.

hope this helps. oh, and welcome to RWG :victory:

deltatahoe

mmm.. 10 watch for start... maybe is better to buy something nice to your girlfriend or wife? :g:

Don`t get me wrong, this is a nice hobby but if you can buy just like that 10 watches then probably I would buy at first a gen or 2 or 3 rep for start.... you know, rep watch quality is not always the best one. "Light" start will be better probably.

And yes 10 watch in one package is definitely to big risk.

One watch one package.

Thanks for all the advice. Exactly the sort of info I wanted to hear.

I don't have a gf or wife. Buying a gen is out of the question for now.

I will order 2 or 3 at a time since I can get free shipping that way. I will also let the dealer know I plan on buying more watches from him in the future. That, hopefully, will motivate him to do a little QC.

Thanks again!