When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kent Parks Relume Turn Around Time?

Martyd3

I sent a watch to Kent a month ago. Paid the deposit, had a space reserved ... etc. Have not heard a word since then. Tried a couple of emails recently and got nothing back. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Marty

UPDATE!!!

Out of the blue, I got a very nice email from Kent this morning. He apologized for the delay and let me know that my watch was finished! I am still put off by his lack of communication, but the watch does look nice :)

standard.jpg

Maybe it is just me but honestly a month really isn't that long of a time to wait. Some of those kent park lume jobs look really, really good. And I am sure like all of the modders around here he is busy. Seems to happen all of the time if you want someone doing something on a watch it will take some time. Also like Chief said I think it is common from what I have seen on the other sites. I haven't had any work done by him though so I can't really say for first hand experience but I will say that one month really isn't all that long to wait.

I disagree with the premise that a month of non-communication is reasonable. But, at the same time, more than 1 email/week can be interpreted as harassment. So be patient. That said, Kent always comes through in the end.

1 caveat - my experience has been that, over time, Kent may forget some of the details of your original request, which can have disastrous results if not caught & corrected before he finishes your job. However, Kent does admit his mistakes & tries (as best he can) to correct them. (After a 3-month delay, Kent apparently forgot that I had requested white, non-glowing lume on my double red & ended up painting the dial with brown luminova. Fortunately, he was able to repaint over the brown markers & still make it look gen.) For this reason, it is imperative that, as soon as he does resume contact, you reiterate the details of your original request. Otherwise, if the work gets completed (incorrectly), it may be too late.

Marty,

I had the same thing happen to me several years ago. Kent "Disappeared" for a month or so. fortunately he posted a message on his website and I happened to notice it. It took about 3-4 months to get my watch back.

Realistically though, a month is not much time when it comes to custom work. I sent a Seamaster 300 to Bienne for restoration took 9 months, sent a vintage Doxa to RGM (At the time they were the Doxa ASC in the USA) they kept it for over a year and then couldn't do everything I wanted done because they couldn't find the parts.I know guys who make custom knives and some who do custom gun work and restorations who have a 3-4 year waiting list before you get your finished product. I don't want to turn this into a rant by any stretch of the imagination, but we live in a world of instant gratification, and it's incredibly hard to transition from that world to the world of the one man shop, basically old world type craftsman, who measure time in months and years instead of seconds and minutes. Having said that, I can be very patient as long as I know that the person is working somewhere within the parameters they themselves set. It is pretty irritating to me to have someone tell me they will have something finished in a month, two months, whatever, and I'm still waiting on it six or eight months later!I don't have much patience with those folks who promise you something to get your business, knowing full well that there is no way in the world they can get your job done in the time frame they quoted.

Keep the faith, he will return and get your watch done, don't worry.

Thanks for the input. I figured as much. It's the total lack of communication that confuses me. When I was inquiring about getting the work done and the prices, Kent's emails were prompt and professional. You would think a simple "hey, I have your watch, but I am backed up" would not be hard to do.

It is a simple relume of a Seiko diver. Guess I will get it back when I get it back :)

Marty

I was going to start a similar thread, I sent him a watch plus payment at the end of March, responses have been few and far between, now it looks like I have to wait for him to get back from vacation even though I was promised it would be done. I guess the lesson is I should have used RWG modders.

When I sent my B&R 03-92 it was about 3 months from the time that I shipped until I got it back. He did good work, but many emails went unanswered. I don't really think he liked working on the B&R reps so mine kept getting pushed to the back of the line.

Pam 177 shows up in mail today. No correspondence but here it is. Lume is better than rep lume but not as bright and doesn't last as long as Getat superlume which is what I paid for. Also, giant glop of something on dial that wasn't there before. Not impressed. Buyer beware.

I could try but my camera sucks, this is actually the watch's second trip to Arizona, he said he would make it right and apologized for the first lume attempt that he used a combo of lumtec lume and something else, not C3 lume, he even said he would paypal me back the shipping expense, he never did and the watch looks the same. I am just going to cut my losses and use someone else in the future. Maybe he isn't comfortable luming reps? I don't know, just thought he would of handled it more professionally.

Over time, Kent seems to forget the details of the customer's original request, which is why these types of mistakes sometimes occur. Even if he does not respond, I think it is important to maintain email contact every 2 weeks or so. And, in each email, to reiterate the specifications of your work request. However, I would not demand anything or riddle him with more frequent messages.

• 1 month later...

Sent two watches and PP payment to Everest in late May. Have not received confirmation of payment or of the watches/

Have not received any reply to my emails (only three over the past two and a half months)

My last email bounced back with a message saying it was rejected by the recipient's Spam Assassin filter.

Anyone know what's going on with Kent and Everest????

Good luck. Kent has had my watch since June. My story is the same story as yours. I know he takes a couple of months off during the summer, but he's had time to post watches for sale on other forums. You would think he could respond to an email asking for an update. I don't need the watch back any time soon, but it would be nice to know he has it, when he will be working on it ... etc. The funny thing is that I had a reserved spot in his "queue" for whatever that is worth. I seriously doubt if I will be using Kent in the future. He may do great work, but his customer service skills need some improvement.

Marty