When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has Anyone Had This Happen With An Ebay Transaction.

crystalcranium

I was selling an item on the bay. I had an inquiry from an interested party who asked me if I would send it to Russia as a gift to his cousin for the shipping quoted. I said yes and today, I got the following email from the interested party

"OK, also I would like you to send to my cousin $900

via Western Union as an additional part of my present.

I can't send it myself 'cause my cousin will see my

name as the sender's name in a WU receipt - I want it

to be a surpirse.

I could pay you let's say $200 for your help. I will

pay for everything via paypal in full and upfront.

My money is ready in my paypal account so please let

me know if you could help me with that. Thanks!"

What the hell is this? He's going to send me $1100 and trust me to send the product and the money to someone else? What's with the "keeping the name secret" business? His cousin would have to know the sender of the cash to pick it up. I think he would be "very surprised" to have a total stranger send him $900.

Any thoughts on what this might be. Would I be helping to fund Chechen rebels?

Sounds like they will be funding the payment via a stolen credit card and then expecting you to turn around and WU the money while Paypal takes the money back out of your account?

I think he wants to pay my paypal account, the money from which I would transfer to my bank account and then use my bank debit card to fund the WU transfer. The hitch is that my bank account transfer from paypal takes about 3-4 days and has to go through a confirmation process so if paypal is funded by a fradulent credit card, there should be time to flush that out.

No. The PayPal chargeback could occur tomorrow, or 6 months from now.

That is a scam.. Pure and simple.

As an ebay seller myself, with several powerseller accounts, I strongly advise you to not take part in this.. You'll regret it - believe me!

The money will be available to take out to your bank, whether it's funded with a fraudulent card transaction, but PayPal will come back to you later and freeze your account, plus you'll have to pay them £12.00 (or the equivalent in $$) for the chargeback.

You can take the chance if you wish... but it stinks to high heaven!

No. The PayPal chargeback could occur tomorrow, or 6 months from now.

That is a scam.. Pure and simple.

As an ebay seller myself, with several powerseller accounts, I strongly advise you to not take part in this.. You'll regret it - believe me!

The money will be available to take out to your bank, whether it's funded with a fraudulent card transaction, but PayPal will come back to you later and freeze your account, plus you'll have to pay them £12.00 (or the equivalent in $$) for the chargeback.

You can take the chance if you wish... but it stinks to high heaven!

report it to ebay assap ! its a well known scam ! thats a common scam comming from russia & africa ..

dont fall for it :thumbdown:

I was selling an item on the bay. I had an inquiry from an interested party who asked me if I would send it to Russia as a gift to his cousin for the shipping quoted. I said yes and today, I got the following email from the interested party

"OK, also I would like you to send to my cousin $900

via Western Union as an additional part of my present.

Very common scam - if you bite you will get bit.

Bill

[censored]ing paypal

they will held your money and you will get NOTHING

i have many bad experience with paypal

people purchase items on ebay from me... send me money via paypal.. i send item at same day for fast dilevery... after 2 days paypal held my money and tell me that this customer is a fault???

result: No items, no money???? :Jumpy:

Absolute scam. I've had several of those types of requests from Nigeria mostly. The rub is they will use a stolen credit card, or a counterfeit cashiers check to pay you, you send the item plus 900 dollars and then you find out that the transaction didn't go through, Paypal comes after you, and the scammers are long gone.

Remember well the old addage " If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't"

Remember well the old addage " If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't"

I thought it was "If it seems too goo to be true, it probably IS" - as in it is too good to be true therefore it's false, or a rip off as in this instance.

Either way I think we both mean the same thing and this is a watch forum, not a semantics, or nuances seminar...

:whistling:

I think he wants to pay my paypal account, the money from which I would transfer to my bank account and then use my bank debit card to fund the WU transfer. The hitch is that my bank account transfer from paypal takes about 3-4 days and has to go through a confirmation process so if paypal is funded by a fradulent credit card, there should be time to flush that out.

Credit card charge backs can come 180 days later.

Credit card charge backs can come 180 days later.

This sounds like a scam, but it seems like paypal could potentially take a big hit on these type of operations.

I must be missing something about lag times: Let's say crystalcranium went through w/ this thing, then tomorrow decides it's a mistake and he's probably going to get shafted. So he takes the money out of his paypal account, then spends 10 minutes on the phone closing the bank account connected to paypal and opening a new one. When the chargeback from the credit card company company comes next month, paypal has nowhere to go, right?