When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for Daytona

brunder

I will probably buy the first one pictured. According to Joshua, that one has the best movement which he warranty's for 5 years. Although I am a little scared of what I have read about the seconds at 6 issue. Considering buying a seconds at 9 version from Silix.

Warranty for 5 years??? I've never heard of that- even Rolex only gives maybe a 2 year warranty these days. I wouldn't expect anything more than 3-6 months from the rep sellers. Also, that 29 jewel hype on the running seconds at 6 movement has proved to be just that- hype, it ain't true!

Daytonas with running seconds at 6 are commonly referred to as expensive paperweights. Some guys like freddy have kept them running with a graphite treatment, others have limited the oiling of the gears to avoid bogging down the movement, and some have removed the running seconds at 6- just freeze the hand at 12 and remove the gears. Needless to say, it's a difficult movement to deal with, Caveat Emptor!

Some guys like freddy have kept them running with a graphite treatment

I think it is worth noting that none of the secs @ 6 Daytonas I have treated with powdered graphite (including the 1st test subject) have failed. Please do not IM me to request the treatment as I am no longer providing this service. However, Ziggy & other trusted RWG watchmakers can probably include it as part of an overhaul service, which should help to keep your watch running to spec.

I've always wanted a rep Daytona, but unfortunately it's two choices; a) buy the seconds at 6 model which actually looks quite good, but won't last - or B) buy the seconds at 9, but place this side by side to the real one and even a child can say which is real (providing they know what the real one is!) It's a shame, but buying a replica Daytona at the moment isn't something I'm prepared to do. :(

D2x11381.jpg

Here's a gen 16520, it varies from the Silix model with the black borders around the subdials whereas the Silix model has silver borders, which is a dial variation, I believe and not significant. The biggest deal with the asian 7750 Daytonas is the subdial spacing, they're further out than the Zenith powered gens. I don't think it's that big a deal personally. If it bothered you, you could build a Zenith powered franken, but those run around $2500!

But there is always a liability factor whenever one purchases any asian 7750 watch. Given the lack of QC, and not necessarily clean build circumstances (lack of proper oiling, unclean surroundings), any asian 7750 is prone to problems. It's the luck of the draw. When I buy asian 7750's I figure there is the initial cost and the servicing factor that have to be figured into the equation. But once an asian 7750 is serviced (around $200 usually) it should be a very dependable watch.

If I were going to buy a modern Daytona, it would definitely be a seconds at 9 model.

• 2 weeks later...

how about this one? thinking about jumping on white face. better movement , fairly close rep? or for 4500 bux http://www.usawatches.net/daytona_white.htm ; )

Looks good. But it should since it is a gen.

freddy333 they look so nice and clean, i bet you NEVER wear them ;) just model them haha

Never say 'never'. :drinks:

I love my Daytonas, but I am not into modern/bling, so they see limited wrist time. I did wear the 116509 a few days last week & may again soon (none are for sale).

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing back this old thread again, but found it as I tried the search function... :rolleyes:

I read a lot about Daytonas and we all know, that the models with sec@6 are like russian roulette with 3 bullets... :thumbdown:

Ok, the 7750 ones suffer from bad subdial spacing. Also died for me.

But I also remember the review from By-Tor, where a model with running secs@6, but no chrono function is/was described. Not the crappy faux chrono with calendar function. I think, they are the same buildt quality as all sec@6 models, but without chrono function-just the moving second hand at 6.

I did a research on our trusted dealers sites, but couldn't really find info.

Has anyone of you one of these models, and can you probably tell me where to look/ask for? There are not a lot of situations when I need a chrono function, and I never hand out my watches - nor reps, nor gens- to anybody.

Your advices are really appreciated

Thx, J

Hi, Thanks a lot, but:

"..... where a model with running secs@6, but no chrono function is/was described. Not the crappy faux chrono with calendar function. I think, they are the same buildt quality as all sec@6 models, but without chrono function-just the moving second hand at 6."

Looking for the cheaper version w/o Chrono funtion. Just running sec@6, but cannot find on any site... :whistling:

Best, J