When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coming Full Circle

RobbieG

Now, although I have a few other brands sitting in the safe, I find myself wearing the Rolexes about 95% of the time. There is just something about them, really hard to describe, but to me they are just "right". They are comfortable,rugged and certainly not ostentatious and they can be worn with just about anything.I'm satisfied at this stage of life to be happy with my SS Rolexes and Tudor and occasionally wear something else for a change.

Said much better than I did. They are just "right" and no words can describe it really...

Hi Robbie, good to see you back on the board! I hope your health problems aren't getting you down too much, although it's never nice being ill.

With regards to watches, I think I am increasingly coming round to your viewpoint! The comfort issue is what often decides what I choose from the box - although I love the ones I have, sometimes that mesh bracelet is a little too heavy, and that leather strap a little too stiff... (although that probably serves me right for not sorting out decent straps yet! lol) You are right in what you say, Rolex just seem to disappear off the wrist because they are so comfortable to wear :) And the size is 'just right', being not too small and not too big, even for my skinny 6.75" wrists!

I came to the boards looking for anything but Rolex - to me they were worn by sleazy "look at me, I'm [censored] great because I have a Rolex" types who I definitely did NOT want to be associated with - yet the classic designs are timeless, and I've really been getting into the vintage Rolex stuff recently because it is different from the usual everyday watch but still looks amazing after however many years! The newer ones are still a bit 'bling' for my taste, although I do admit that the Blue Cerachrome I picked up from BK is extremely comfortable on the wrist and flashy without being gaudy, with the Glidelock clasp being so handy when you go from the hot weather outside to a cool room inside :)

Overall... I'm just waffling on... lol... but I can see me adding a lot more Rolex to the box when I get some funds together! :D

Soon a I finish my fiction thriller that I read whilst having my fave vitola.. I'll venture to spend an hour reading your short story :rolleyes: Robbie..''all joking aside.. good to see you on the board :thumbsupsmileyanim: .. thought you left us for the uppity genuine forums.. :whistling:

Aloha/Cheers

R

Soon a I finish my fiction thriller that I read whilst having my fave vitola.. I'll venture to spend an hour reading your short story :rolleyes: Robbie..''all joking aside.. good to see you on the board :thumbsupsmileyanim: .. thought you left us for the uppity genuine forums.. :whistling:

Aloha/Cheers

R

lol... Pot? Kettle? :lol:

UNgmt5.jpg

UNgmt15.jpg

I've never seen that. Correction, I was never taken back by it until I saw it through your glass. Wow. Insane watch.

I'm glad to see you posting, hopefully in better and better health.

As far as Rolex go's. Maybe i'm still on my journey. I did realign my collection from a major standpoint, and with conviction. However, I am still relatively new to "getting it" when it comes to watches. Funny enough I wore my ETA 16610 sub the past two days because its insanely comfortable and rugged in our very stormy week of weather. It's an easy, comfortable, classic.

But $6,000?!!! :o With that pricetag, I would be a lot less cavalier about classifying it in my rugged use catagory.

Aloha/Cheers

R

No forums - like you just hospitals. lol. Couple of sick puppies you and I have been. And besides, you all know by now no matter how genuine my collection, my horological home will always be here at RWG. I do like perfect watches, but I can't stand perfect people. lol...

I do like perfect watches, but I can't stand perfect people. lol...

Hey that's well said.

And this very thread is what RWG is all about: Good watch talk.

Talking about Rolex, I think I'm done. 16610 and 16710 are the two best ones. Tried them all (almost) and classic Sub and GMT are simply the best.

If I ever buy another, I'll get the gen white Explorer II. For some reason Daytona never grabbed me at all. I understand its desirability and position in the watch world though... but it's not a watch for me.

Hey that's well said.

And this very thread is what RWG is all about: Good watch talk.

Talking about Rolex, I think I'm done. 16610 and 16710 are the two best ones. Tried them all (almost) and classic Sub and GMT are simply the best.

If I ever buy another, I'll get the gen white Explorer II. For some reason Daytona never grabbed me at all. I understand its desirability and position in the watch world though... but it's not a watch for me.

Same here on the Daytona basically. The Sub & YMs is it for me on the sport side and as you know I also adore Day Dates. I still have my DJ though too although it is kind of the same idea.

No forums - like you just hospitals. lol. Couple of sick puppies you and I have been. And besides, you all know by now no matter how genuine my collection, my horological home will always be here at RWG. I do like perfect watches, but I can't stand perfect people. lol...

No shit.. this year has been a MASH year fo sure..

No such thing as perfect.. agree... all the frailties of Man..

Good for both of us to be home RG.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

No [censored].. this year has been a MASH year fo sure..

No such thing as perfect.. agree... all the frailties of Man..

Good for both of us to be home RG.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

By the way R, I just found a photo I shot in our old stomping grounds. Remember the garden along the canal on Ala Wai Terrace just down the street from World's? Anyway I shot some macro Bird of Paradise stuff there 25 years ago & posted one of them in TT's photo of the day thread.

lol... Pot? Kettle? :lol:

I've never seen that. Correction, I was never taken back by it until I saw it through your glass. Wow. Insane watch.

I'm glad to see you posting, hopefully in better and better health.

As far as Rolex go's. Maybe i'm still on my journey. I did realign my collection from a major standpoint, and with conviction. However, I am still relatively new to "getting it" when it comes to watches. Funny enough I wore my ETA 16610 sub the past two days because its insanely comfortable and rugged in our very stormy week of weather. It's an easy, comfortable, classic.

But $6,000?!!! :o With that pricetag, I would be a lot less cavalier about classifying it in my rugged use catagory.

Yeah the Dual Time is a looker for sure. Really happy with it in every way.

The money thing is all perspective of course depending on how much one has at any point in time. If it isn't a stretch financially to buy something pretty much anything can become a "tool" item. Case in point, I have a close friend who drives a one of a kind custom 430 as a daily beater. Not something I would do, but for him he could buy a hundred of them and still not dent his net worth so I'm sure it changes his perception of value. Money and how people value things is fascinating really...

Robbie,

You are SO right about Rolex. The most comfortable watch that I wear is my Sea Dweller. I bought it after my Pam, Porsche, and B&R phases faded. It's funny because I've modded the hell out of those watches without doing anything to the Sea Dweller. It just speaks about how perfectly spot on Rolex is. And the out-of-the-box Joshua SD is the only watch I wear in the water. Go figure? Truly a classic. I guess I'm turning into my father.

Now if WM9 would finish the SD project he's been working for the past year and a half!!! The wait is killing me.