When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some vintage inserts are not fit to be aged

ubiquitous

I was recently contacted by a fellow forum member and new friend, asking if I had any thoughts on a good vintage insert and where to source one. I replied that I had my left over insert from Phong (surplus from my 5514 project), and offered it as a gift. The insert was accepted, and I was asked if I could age it as per my usual method, to which I agreed.

This was a little surprising and also a bit of an eye opening experience for me. This particular insert had only it's surface painted, and very lightly so I might add. As soon as I started applying my process for aging, the paint just came up in strips thus making this part a loss. I say eye opening, as up until now I had just taken the overall and general quality of inserts that we typically have for granted, not assuming that such a part would or could be this delicate. Of all the inserts I've helped people with, this one was easily the most fragile.

I did however, want to post the pics of the final result as an item of interest. Kinda neat in it's own way I suppose...

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

Compared with a gen fat font:

IMG_5574.jpg

And more indicative of it's true color...

IMG_5579.jpg

:g: