When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Ref. 6542

donerix

I saw this watch in real and I fell in love.

So now I would like to build one like it since I couldn't find a rep of it.

6542GMT.jpg

6542GMTA.jpg

Unless somebody knows if there is a rep out there and can point me in the right direction I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I am thinking of buying a 6538 (maybe from Trusty) which I know is 41mm and not correct, but the watch is for me and I like them bigger:

And then a bakelite bezel insert (with lume which looks awesome from ND trading) which is 38mm outer width and might just fit:

insert6542ClowNight.jpg

I think this will be the most demanding part in the project (but then I have really no clue what I am talking about when it comes to vintage Rolex watches)

I am still not sure about the dial and movement, but I figure I make those decisions when I have the case ready to go.

If the Rolex experts could give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

If you have any parts that you think could work for me: even better :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Like they said, no rep (that I have seen) available. Definitely, a roll-your-own project - made much easier now that aftermarket 6542 cases are available, which was not the case when I constructed my Phase 1 (at right)

0292__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

IMG_06941.jpg

Suggestion for anyone embarking on a 6542 project -

Consider using a solid black bezel insert instead of the normal red/blue plastic insert. I have seen pics of gen 6542s (I assume Rolex replaced the original Perspex with the black insert after the Perspex material broke) that look very cool.

Maybe something like this, eh, freddy?

Yes & it looks even better the black dial, which is especially nice for those who like the look of PVD-style (blackened) cases. A black insert was my backup plan in case I was unable to source a plastic insert that met my requirements.

Looks like the GMT hand was also replaced during a service with the larger/later hand.

:good:

The insert looks to be the same 1 (minus the lume) that I have (the bezel in my Phase II watch is gen, but the Phase I watch is aftermarket). Glowing lume, on the other hand, may look cool, but it is inauthentic for a 50+ year old Rolex watch. On a vintage watch, I would steer clear of anything that glows

panamgmt20042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

panamgmt20022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

panamgmt0042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Thanks for your input and pics (they are a true inspiration).

I am not sure if I want to spring the $1300 just for the case with bezel (on the other hand:then I would have a big part of the project taken care off).

In a way I am almost inclined to sacrifice a bit of authenticity for knowing that I have somehow built the watch.

What other case do you think I could use that would still allow the use of the bakelite bezel?

My Phase I watch was constructed around a Silix vintage Cartier Sub rep case (you can search out the threads for specific details), which allowed me to fit a proper 6542 bezel/insert. However, due to the construction of the case, I was unable to fully seat the insert into the bezel without compromising the case's integrity. This was 1 of the reasons I began sourcing parts for the Phase II watch even before Phase I had been completed. As far as I know, because the plastic 6542 insert is not concave (its bottom is flat & meant to seat all the way down into the bezel), only a case/bezel combination made to fit it (in other words, a 6542 case).

Thanks for your input and pics (they are a true inspiration).

I am not sure if I want to spring the $1300 just for the case with bezel (on the other hand:then I would have a big part of the project taken care off).

In a way I am almost inclined to sacrifice a bit of authenticity for knowing that I have somehow built the watch.

What other case do you think I could use that would still allow the use of the bakelite bezel?

Hi donerix, I believe maybe this one could be your base for case/bezel ring, however there might occur a height-problem with the bakelite insert - Freddy would be able to confirm this (he has has written thoroughly on this subject). Good luck!

6542 case & bezel ring?

post-2870-022415200 1279000704.jpg

mg

mg: thanks for the hint.

I looked and it and I like it (especially the already drilled lug holes, but I am not sure, because when comparing the pics on the Silix site and the gen pics it seems that the gen bezel is larger and extends beyond the case (see pic below):

6542back.jpg

So I am almost tempted to go with a slightly larger case (also the GMT dial seems to be larger than most with slightly over 27mm):

rol183_06.jpg

What do you think of this idea?

What do you think of this idea?

Hi Donerix

It's smart to ask - that's how you learn.

Just don't ask me, I couldn't tell my A$$ from my cyclops!

However if you still want my advice, I'd say no, you need a coin-edge bezel, and I'd also say that 6542 is the holy grail and doing it right is the way to ensure you won't regret anything later. Lastly I'd say that you need to tap into Freddys knowledge in order to get it right :-)

mg

Hi donerix, I believe maybe this one could be your base for case/bezel ring, however there might occur a height-problem with the bakelite insert - Freddy would be able to confirm this (he has has written thoroughly on this subject). Good luck!

6542 case & bezel ring?

post-2870-022415200 1279000704.jpg

mg

I believe this is a different coin edge from the 6542. I had a 6542 case which I used to create a 6538, and that was one of the criticisms. However, if it would take an NDT bezel, might be an idea. I think JoeyB said the Turnograph used the same case as the 6542 so that might be a possible avenue also.

I don't know if we've seen anyone build a 6542 from a Yuki case and dial yet. I think the cases run around $500 and the dials are $160.

http://www.yukiwatch...997/7233506.htm

An eta w/ GMT hand and a DW overlay and you're about there. Just food for thought...

That may very well be my next project if the 1016 turns out OK with Yuki parts! Wondering if a 2893-2 could be shoehorned in.....

I don't know if we've seen anyone build a 6542 from a Yuki case and dial yet. I think the cases run around $500 and the dials are $160.

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6924997/7233506.htm

An eta w/ GMT hand and a DW overlay and you're about there. Just food for thought...

Can you confirm the price, because at ND Trading the case with bezel and plexi is $1305.

For $500 I would probably go for it (would save a lot of work).

That may very well be my next project if the 1016 turns out OK with Yuki parts! Wondering if a 2893-2 could be shoehorned in.....

I have no experience installing ETAs into Yuki cases (which are made to fit gen movements), but I would expect they will accept an ETA with 1 of Yuki's ETA adapter sets.

I have no experience installing ETAs into Yuki cases (which are made to fit gen movements), but I would expect they will accept an ETA with 1 of Yuki's ETA adapter sets.

The Yuki case will certainly take a 2824 or 2836 with the adaptor, I'm not sure whether it will also take the 2893. I know JoeyB fitted a 2893 after fitting a 2836 in his 6542 but had some trouble adapting it. I'm wondering if it would need a different adaptor to line up the stem.

I would guess the Yuki 6542 case will be more than a lot of the others as it comes with the bezel and bakelite insert but hey, what cost an email to find out! They're quick to respond. It will without doubt be less than NDT.