When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue SMP Swiss from Mary, any good?

athan

Hi to all Blue SPM fans,

I'm looking to get a decent blue SPM with "Swiss" Eta movt but I don't have any experience on this model.

Has anyone got this one from Mary recently?

post-4284-024136500 1279610924.jpg

post-4284-043258900 1279610949.jpg

post-4284-026249200 1279611077.jpg

Any comments?

If not that what's the best available in the market?

Kind regards,

Athan

Interesting.....

What to look for in general (ie what would be best):

* HE valve slightly above 10 (towards 11) - this one seems to have that so good

* Well defined (squared cut crown guards) - this one seems to have that - difficult from the angle of the pics...

* crisp waves and print on the dial - can't tell how good from the pics. Needs to be angled in light to see

* hands length - I think those hands are a shade short, but swapping for gen hands is not expensive (though you'd need to relume the dial or swap a gen dial for lume balance)

* bezel insert colour - gen is a darker blue. This one looks slightly too light, but is on par for reps.

* pearl - should be flush in the insert. The pics show the metal ring slightly above the insert. The shape and form of the pearl looks OK. But it's not centred in the triangle and looks slightly off set to the left. Could be the angle of the pics. I'd say, if not offset, it's acceptable. Just needs pushed down flush. Probably moddable.

* gen bracelet has pins for sizing links. Most reps have screws. So if this has pins (can't see from pics) that's a bonus. Not easy to get bracelets with pins - I think the factories only make with screws now....

* datewindow and date font - you have the white box border(correct) and what looks like the right date font.

Overall looks pretty good. I'm sure By-Tor or other Omega experts will be able to better correct my comments......

Gen crystal is not absolutely flat. It is slightly domed.

I see the bracelet here has screws not pins. Like I said; hard to find now....

Also rep bracelets are slightly thinner than the gen. Not much so you would notice easily, but a fraction thinner.

Clasp looks laser etched rather than engraved. Gen is engraved.

Gen has single AR on the inside. Transparent - no tint at all.

I have a gen black face on speedy strap, and had a gen blue Bond some time back.

Mary is pretty trustworthy, and the best old school factory stopped making the most accurate ones years ago. they occasionally come up used in for sale sections.

Depending on what she's asking for this, it looks overall pretty good.On par for what's available from the factories today, except it has the benefit of the off set HE valve ie above 10. (at least from the pics).

@ Mickey, Thank you for your very informative review and ideas. Although I searched a lot it seems that I missed it.

So, is it the shape of the crystal or that it lacks an AR? Should I just send it to the Chief or changing the crystal is one-way?

@ Andy, she is asking $176/$225 shipped for the clone/eta 2824 movements respectively.

that is the question i would like to know, i have been put off so many SMPs because of He valve pos and crown guards, the lume looks a bit yellow but that may be the light and i can re lume it any way

IMO if the case is acceptable (HE and CGs) you can add a proper AR sapphire and relume the dial and hands. You could even swap them for a set of gens.

And the pearl can be modded to be flash in the insert.

The most essential part of a watch is the case.

Crystal dimension needed is 30.5mm. You can go with either 2mm or 2.5mm thickness.

I have one of these watches too. Great HE valve location & CGs. I would scrap that dial and pick up a used on ebay (found one for about $60 in great condition). You can get a better insert at alpha-watches.com. Probably the best aftermarket inserts i have ever seen and the pearl is the best i have seen (not to over bearing).

* hands length - I think those hands are a shade short

* bezel insert colour - gen is a darker blue. This one looks slightly too light, but is on par for reps.

Gen actually comes in two hand lengths. Very short ones or the tall ones. Weird, huh?

Here's a shorty. My gen also is this "shorter hands version".

96446356.jpg

I also think the gen bezel insert is lighter, not darker and more like slate blue. Whenever the rep factories make ANYTHING blue (dial, insert, anything...) it's ALWAYS too purple.

Other than that, great summary.

This is a 1.2K watch preowned. Enjoy that nice rep as it is or get a gen... it's not worth expensive mods, imho. Gen quartz is about $700 preowned.

I wrote an article of the gen SMP Bond. You can view it HERE.

Thats the nicest out of the box SMP ive seen in a while. I would pull the trigger on it, throw it in the watchbox and enjoy it as is. Don't get me wrong, it is not perfect. But not worth dumping funds into. Pre owned gens are cheap. I got a final production year electric blue quartz from Torneau, like-new, for $1,100. (the electric blue's are more pricey, you could get a blue auto SMP for around that price). So don't dump a couple hundred on the watch and another few hundred on mods when you can be halfway to a preowned.

By-Tor, P4GTR, thank you guys for your calm advice.

The Bond SMP is a must have gen watch, I fully agree with you.

Also, thanks Triplehd for the alpha-watch source for inserts. You were right about their SMP bezel, although the pearl is not 100% flat and it sits closer to the top, it overall looks really cool...

post-4284-017447700 1279688469.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a gen Smp quartz would let go for 1000 Euro .......

Hi to all Blue SPM fans,

I'm looking to get a decent blue SPM with "Swiss" Eta movt but I don't have any experience on this model.

Has anyone got this one from Mary recently?

post-4284-024136500 1279610924.jpg

post-4284-043258900 1279610949.jpg

post-4284-026249200 1279611077.jpg

Any comments?

If not that what's the best available in the market?

Kind regards,

Athan