When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate Franken Abyss

bt430

...while still custom, I think it would be more 'in keeping' with the overall aesthetic of the car than what is currently fitted

In the case of wire wheels, these were offered as options by Triumph for the Spitfire, so they are not custom modifications. The items added to the OP's watch were never offered by Rolex for that watch.

I would agree that the bottom car is probably not the best suited for that model of wheels, however, if it was to have a set of these wheels instead...

TeeJay - I am sure those wheels, like the bits added to the OP's Rolex, ARE attractive to the owner. But when you dabble with a classic design (& most Rolex watches are classic designs), you run the risk of cartooning the design in the eyes of those who do not share the owner's vision. And, worse yet, when you customize a Rolex, it just ends up looking like a 'fake Rolex'.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever they are worth.

In the case of wire wheels, these were offered as options by Triumph for the Spitfire, so they are not custom modifications. The items added to the OP's watch were never offered by Rolex for that watch.

TeeJay - I am sure those wheels, like the bits added to the OP's Rolex, ARE attractive to the owner. But when you dabble with a classic design (& most Rolex watches are classic designs), you run the risk of cartooning the design in the eyes of those who do not share the owner's vision. And, worse yet, when you customize a Rolex, it just ends up looking like a 'fake Rolex.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever they are worth.

I quite agree with what you mean, with regards the customization of a known item. What I was meaning, using the GT as an example, is that while the owner might indeed like the wheels they put on (and at the end of the day, that is all that matters, as they're the one driving/wearing the item) there are other styles of wheels, if they had to have custom, which could have been fitted, which would have been 'more complimentary' to the original design :) What I was meaning, is that there is the fantasy project which is still 'in the style of', and the fantasy project which is less congruent to the original design :)

[Edit to add]

Here is an example of how 'customization' can be positive:

gmtexplo4as.jpg

If someone were to build a project of this watch, someone might think that it was 'just a fantasy model', where it would in fact be a recreation of an existing custom piece. I suspect this piece to be 'the missing link' of design evolution between the 1655 and the modern Explorer II, so that in itself, is an illustration of customer feedback and requests, being made into company policy, such as how the Submariner and Sea-Dweller lines have evolved :)

One side of me says....cool. The other says yuck. I like the concept but the idea of adding a ten movement to this fantasy is where my tastes differ. I contemplated an abyss for what it is and would have gotten one if it had abyss on the dial. To me it's one thing to customize a gen to suit your needs and I understandthe popularity of the pro hunter for some. I did the same when I customized my gen omega seamster 300. Modding a rep to suit your needs is one thing and I applaud the initiative. Adding a movement like the 1030 though IMO is a bit much.

Hope that line of reasoning makes sense.

I know this isn't going to be everyones cup of tea. I thought long and hard on this one. Here's a bit of the back story of my thought process when kicking this concept around with PBdad. Though I think much of the work here is amazing it does baffle me a bit in the same way this project baffles you. The effort and expense of trying to recreate something that already exists was not what I was after. I think the biggest tell is usually the person wearing the watch but that's another discussion entirely. My hobby is not watches but car customization. Stock anything never really did it for me. Having something that everyone else has is not something I'd be attracted to so this would be a very natural progression for me. I wanted something different, unique, larger than 40mm, vintage and custom at the same time. Again as in cars what's one of the first things you do? mod the engine, so we dropped the super charger in there that was the reason for the gen movement. I know this kind of thinking is not what is usually presented here but I can't help to wonder what fantastic work could come out of the amazingly talented people here if they stopped following the pattern of what already exists and just let their talent and imagination take them where it will.

I love it bt - that is to say - I love that you did this so that others could see it! Any out-of the box idea is welcome because any idea, good or bad, can trigger something else. That's evolution, baby.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

mg