When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Balance

RobbieG

Lately I have noticed another comfort related detail that has become really important to me - balance of the watch on the wrist. I have found that it is directly related to weight and the distribution of weight quite a lot as well. I tend to like my watches a hair loose. Not sliding around but not so tight as to keep it from moving at all. So for me the way the watch balances on the wrist with that little bit of play I like is paramount. If too top heavy it will slide into that spot where it digs in if you know what I mean. And if it is too light that is lost altogether but it won't use its own weight to stay put either. I'm speaking mostly about the way watches feel when you are sitting down and moving your hands/arms around in normal use ir conversation.

Anyway, just wondering if those of you that wear the watches a hair less than tight know what I mean and if you are like me and really notice from watch to watch the weight and distribution of the weight? For example, I love the way my Yachtmaster feels. The platinum dial and bezel makes a surprising difference in weight that is top heavy and with the steel lower in the case and bracelet it kind of sits there perfectly. Another example though would be some of the larger steel or gold watches I have owned like the Fish or the MMD that have even more weight but with the way I like to wear them don't balance well and kind of ride up and get stuck to one side. Oh and one more example. I tend not to like smaller watches in steel on straps. They are so light they won't stay put at all. For me, most of those unless a bit on the large size - like sports type watches they don't feel right except in precious metals.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone but just wondering if those who wear a hair loose notice big differences based on weight and distribution of it....

I know what you mean Robbie.

I guess it depends on the person's wrist shape. I wear all my watches relatively tight... I can barely squeeze my forefinger between the bracelet and my lower wrist when they're on. If they're looser or tighter I simply can't wear the watch comfortably.

The only watch that I never found perfect fit was my gen Aquaracer. I took it to the AD and their watchsmith drilled one extra micro adjustment hole to the clasp. Now it's perfect.

I only have bracelet watches so I have no idea about straps... but as much as people slag off the Rolex Oyster bands, they're still the easiest to size, and also easiest to make fit perfectly. :good:

DSC00287.jpg

I agree with BT- the Rolex bands are easy to size and adjust. That's why I prefer screws rather than pins on the band.

Too many companies to not allow fine tuning on the S/S bands. That's a shame because wrist size varies depending on time of day, weather,

etc. I tend to like a bit loose- just got some flack @ RGW1 for this one, which I since tightened abit.

SS bracelets, like jewelry bracelets work best worn loose..for me.

I actually prefer rubber straps on most of my sport watches...like Seamaster Pro, Aquanaut, Black Monster, 212 Panerai, etc.

For the rubber straps... loose but snug, if that makes sense.

For alligator and leather straps on my dress watches I prefer snug, not much slide. Best fit under a cuff dress shirt..

Iagree that balance is important ,if not crucial, to the fit of ANY watch style.

For that reason I have gone away from wearing most chrono models...for me they are just too thick and unbalanced for a small wrist like mine @ 6.5''. There are a few exceptions, like the Breitling Heritage, but most thick watches do not work for me.

I remember buying a IWC chrono because it was so beautiful, but after receiving it, I sold it immediately becaues it felt like I was wearing a hockey puck on my wrist. Perhaps 40/42mm...and 17mm thick. But that's just me.

Edited by jeff g

After once wearing a Casio so tight it left an imprint on my wrist (and during the summer, the sweat made exzma flare up) I've always worn my watches a little loose, just to allow for a bit of movement and for air to circulate. I can just about get the first phalange of my index finger between the strap and my wrist. The only straps I will wear tighter, are NATO or velcro straps, as I find they need that extra tension to keep the watch in place. My biggest thumbs up, has got to go to the silicone Tropic-Style strap I got a few weeks back. The totally flat silicone strap I bought last year (and somehow lost :bangin: ) used to trap moisture or sweat just a little too much to be comfortable, but with its vented back, the Tropic-Style has none of that issue. In terms of aesthetics, the raised sides of the strap give it a real feeling of thickness, almost like a PAM strap, without being over the top, and the basket-weave texture just gives an interesting finish, and is surprisingly classy, if worn with a DJ-sized watch. Obviously not as good as a leather strap with a 'dress watch', but certainly better than a smooth rubber strap, and that little bit more durable :) When I first got the strap, it was only my intention to wear it on watches during the summer/hot weather etc, but I'm contemplating making it a permanant feature :)

i totally agree with all the points and comments...

and i, too, tend to wear all my watches slightly loose - but not enough to flop...not a huge fan of all deployments, because i find i need to bend some slightly to maintain a proper fit...

also, sometimes the specific leather strap makes a difference...some smoother or stiffer leather straps tend to let a PAM, for example, go over the outer edge of my wrist...put it on a different strap and it doesn't...

so - i will add - that leathers straps and buckles/clasps/deployments factor in to fit...

one last point - the smaller dial pieces i wear (under 40mm in general) i tend to let slide like bracelets on my 7.5" wrist..

cool topic, Robbie...

R-

For me it depends on the bracelet. If it's a SS bracelet, like an oyster, I prefer it to be a little loose. There is something about the 40mm Rollies that just sit so nicely on my wrist that I can get away with wearing them a little loose.

If it's a Panerai, then I like the leather straps to be a little tighter. It's too top heavy to be flopping around my wrist like a lop sided bracelet. Just my personal preference.

Oddly enough, if I wear my Datejust, I prefer the gen jubiliee to be a little tighter. It molds so nicely to my wrist that it feels weird when it's too loose.

I tend to wear my watches so that i can just push my little finger between the case back and wrist and on a vintage sub and a most of my watches this is fine but if i wear my ingy that way it does flop around a bit. I run a few ks every morning and the ingy is just a pain running but the rolys are fine. I am realy liking the fine adjustment onthe new DSSD and the breitling ocean racer that alows you to get it just right though.

Yeah, I wear mine about like Andy does. I just like to have the watch weigh enough to have the weight itself balance it in the right spot. I guess that is why I would say my YM is the most comfortable braceleted sports watch for me right now. At 40MM it isn't huge nor is it thick of course, but the extra weight of the platinum bezel and dial (I have always been surprised just how much it really does add though you wouldn't think so...

The "balance factor" for me is all about the combination of something lighter with something heavier. The Ti Aquatimer is similar cause the bracelet is of course light as a feather which is slightly loose and then the weight of the chrono movement on top does that balancing thing. This is also why gold or platinum smaller dress watches are so comfortable. The leather strap weighs nothing and then the precious metal on top sort of perches the watch up and holds in in place. Steel just doesn't do that as well on a smaller watch. I love steel of course but I prefer it with a bracelet.

I guess stuff like this is why they call us watch "nuts" boys. The subtle things in life, right?

Yeah, I wear mine about like Andy does. I just like to have the watch weigh enough to have the weight itself balance it in the right spot. I guess that is why I would say my YM is the most comfortable braceleted sports watch for me right now. At 40MM it isn't huge nor is it thick of course, but the extra weight of the platinum bezel and dial (I have always been surprised just how much it really does add though you wouldn't think so...

The "balance factor" for me is all about the combination of something lighter with something heavier. The Ti Aquatimer is similar cause the bracelet is of course light as a feather which is slightly loose and then the weight of the chrono movement on top does that balancing thing. This is also why gold or platinum smaller dress watches are so comfortable. The leather strap weighs nothing and then the precious metal on top sort of perches the watch up and holds in in place. Steel just doesn't do that as well on a smaller watch. I love steel of course but I prefer it with a bracelet.

I guess stuff like this is why they call us watch "nuts" boys. The subtle things in life, right?

They're what matter the most :victory: