When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 024A vs 024D

panerai153

I'm pretty keen on a DSN PAM submersible. Actually, I have been looking for a really good rep of the submersible for quite a long time. All of the previous that I saw were pretty weak copies. From what i'm reading, it looks like the DSN models are pretty good and with a minimum of modding, they will be really good. I'm torn between the 024A and the 024D. my question is from looking at the photos,are the weaknesses and strengths basically the same? In other words will a date wheel change, a better crown and possibly a jakob caseback solve the problems of both of them are there problems that one has that the other one doesn't? It's been a long time since I had any PAMS, and I'm just getting back into them, so any help from all of you PAM experts would be appreciated

thanks

The major flaws are still there in both versions (Date wheel, cyclops, crown, CG and lugs). It comes down to what you prefer.

so the watch is a big flaw? if you gone get it right you need better case,better dw,better cyclop,better crown,better cg and diffrent lugs? seems a lot of work and $$ to do all that.

Dani,

My guess is as good as yours at this point because I don't have DSN's 24a or a cartel 199. I would also have to get my 199 with a 6mm cyclops which may not be available anymore, it was a blunder from the factory and later models came with correct 7mm cyclops. I know what I need from DSN in order to make a 199 into a 24A. In the event the operation fails my contingency plan is the 24D caseback. Other than that the rest will be easy.

The work scope flow is like this:

a) DSN - 24A handstack, dial

b ) DSN - 24A bezel with ratchet

c) DSN - 24A caseback

d) DSN - 24D caseback

a0) Cartel 199G complete watch

a1) Cartel 199G bezel

b1) Cartel 199G handstack, dial

c1) Cartel 199G caseback

d1) Cartel 199G crystal

If ((a0 - a1) + b )) = :thumbsupsmileyanim:

then ((a0 - a1 - b1 - c1) + a + b + c)) + strip A/R on d1 + good CG + Palp deep dish crown + good DW = Grail 24A

else ((a0 - b1 - c1) + a + d)) + keep A/R on d1 + good CG + Palp deep dish crown + good DW = Grail 24D

P.S. I actually thought this through back in November 2009 when I learned DSN was going to make a 24A

Panerai153

The watches are pretty similar the parts are probably the same.its up to you if you want the Marks on the Bezel.

Either one will be a joy to own I'm sure, I'm much more keen on the 24a but that's because I've been lusting after that shiney deco bezel for ages.

The lugs may be a tad of an issue if you're wanting an extra thick strap. I have this really thick Simona which I was hoping to put a Sub on and that may not be possible.

We can only hope that somebody gets hold of one soon and post a nice review and doesn't feel to intimidated by people slagging off a perfectly nice watch and raining on their parade.

Its a 320 dollar rep and DSN's are pretty good value as far as I can tell and given that there are no other choices let's just enjoy these offerings. Its really sad unless its perfect it should be considered unworthy and inferior.

I joined RWG to play with Replica watches, its replica it comes with flaws its your choice how much they bother you as no one will care or know but you. I hope I can afford the 24a one day and I will be in no rush to get it modded and I will try not to let the party poopers get to me.

If you get one I do hope you can post it up and let me know how it works for you.

ST4

Crown is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to close to the case as well. Not a problem for Kbiz and The Zigmeister who can and have machined OEM style tubes but for me it's a problem. You could I suppose double up the crown gasket and use a butthair longer stem but that isn't an ideal solution

Crown is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to close to the case as well. Not a problem for Kbiz and The Zigmeister who can and have machined OEM style tubes but for me it's a problem. You could I suppose double up the crown gasket and use a butthair longer stem but that isn't an ideal solution

Is that something that can be fixed by the tube that you can get with T's SL crowns?

W0lf,

Do you think there's any chance the 199 cartel crystal fits the 24a DSN case? Wouldn't that be easier than switching bezels? Or does the cartel 199 have enough better case shape?

Dani,

My guess is as good as yours at this point because I don't have DSN's 24a or a cartel 199. I would also have to get my 199 with a 6mm cyclops which may not be available anymore, it was a blunder from the factory and later models came with correct 7mm cyclops. I know what I need from DSN in order to make a 199 into a 24A. In the event the operation fails my contingency plan is the 24D caseback. Other than that the rest will be easy.

The work scope flow is like this:

a) DSN - 24A handstack, dial

b ) DSN - 24A bezel with ratchet

c) DSN - 24A caseback

d) DSN - 24D caseback

a0) Cartel 199G complete watch

a1) Cartel 199G bezel

b1) Cartel 199G handstack, dial

c1) Cartel 199G caseback

d1) Cartel 199G crystal

If ((a0 - a1) + b )) = :thumbsupsmileyanim:

then ((a0 - a1 - b1 - c1) + a + b + c)) + strip A/R on d1 + good CG + Palp deep dish crown + good DW = Grail 24A

else ((a0 - b1 - c1) + a + d)) + keep A/R on d1 + good CG + Palp deep dish crown + good DW = Grail 24D

P.S. I actually thought this through back in November 2009 when I learned DSN was going to make a 24A

EMM,

Me neither, the bezel+ratchet assembly transfer is likely to become a show-stopper. I know there was someone on this board (I think ChinkieChunkie) that replaced old cartel 24A bezel assembly with an OEM one so I know at least in theory it can be done. Can it be done in practice with DSN & Cartel parts - remains to be seen. Looking at DSN's midcase - it appears to be the same one or at least come from the same factory as all of his cases as of late. And though they have wonky lugs and somewhat incorrect proportions they take gen crystals and gen crownguards. It makes me somewhat more hopeful the Cartel 1:1 case might fit with his bezel. Either way, what the worst that can happen?